Install Linux on the newest TravelMate P6

pstast
pstast Member Posts: 7 New User
I have just bought the newest TravelMate P6 (NX.VMTEC.001). I would like to install Ubuntu on it, but the installer does not see the drive. Also tried the newest Fedora. I am not able to switch drive ode to AHCI on BIOS. A can see there is "Optane without RAID" mode on "Information" tab, but there is no way how to change it. I upgraded BIOS to the newest version.

I found this post about additonal section for changing SATA mode, but it does not work for me (the post is about Acer Nitro 5):
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2426422&page=3&p=13956464#post13956464

Any chance to install any Linux on this laptop?

Answers

• pstast
    Ctrl+S to show hidden options does not work me, even with the newest BIOS version
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    So in order to allow booting from something other than the stock image you need to turn off secure boot in your BIOS. You have no need to either remove the Optane module or covert to AHCI. The latest boot images for almost all Linux OSes use UEFI for booting, just like Windows. I assume your TravelMate model has a HDD in it with the Optane for faster caching. Once you have secure boot disabled (and potentially enabling the F12 boot menu at the same time) you should be able to choose the flash drive with the Linux install image from the boot menu.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • pstast
    Thank you for your response. I don't have problem with booting any Linux installer from DVD. But the installer does not see any hard drive.

This is how the Ubuntu installation ends:

No, my model does not have HDD with Optane. It is NMVe SSD M.2 1 TB, there is no Optane as a cache (NX.VMTEC.001 configuration).

I am in the exact situation as in these posts:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2426422&page=3&p=13956464#post13956464
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/579728/changing-to-ahci-mode-linux-install-nitro-5-an515-54

And they were solved by switching to AHCI, but the solution does not work with my model.
  • pstast

This is BIOS screenshot. BIOS is latest version. It is not possible to change SATA Mode anywhere (in any section). Special key "Ctrl+S" does not work.
  • pstast
    Summary: I would like to install Linux on TMP614-51T-G2-769N. Linux installer does not see SSD. It should be fixed by changing SATA mode to "AHCI" in BIOS. But I don't have that option in BIOS.

As I can see in other threads, people solved that by using "Ctrl+S" trick after which hidden option appears in BIOS, SATA mode can be changed and Linux works.

But that does not work for me. I have supervisor password set. I have the latest BIOS version. I try Ctrl+S everywhere in BIOS, but nothing happens.

Maybe BIOS for my particular model does not support it.
  • pstast
    According to communication with Acer support, my model TMP614-51T-G2 does not allow changing SATA mode.

It's a shame. Why Acer forces people to use Windows? Especially when we are talking about "professional" laptop series? What about IT professionals? They use Linux. Hello, we are in 2020. Did you hear about Linux? I will never use Windows. I want Linux! I always had TravelMate, but now I have to switch to another vendor, probably Asus. They seems to be more friendly to Linux.
  • pstast
    I found better option - Dell XPS 13 (9300) Developer Edition. Powerful laptop with preinstalled Ubuntu! I wish I knew about it before.
  • raq0904
    raq0904 Member Posts: 1 New User

I cannot solve your problem but am grateful for this thread - I am looking for a new laptop and came here to check whether an Acer i hva been considering would allow Linux installation.

I will look elsewhere - thank you!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022

As will all laptops, Linux distributions tend to lag behind Windows in support for the newest hardware. Acer isn't any better or worse than other brands. In the case of this user they only needed to disable VTD (the new name for Intel RST) in the BIOS.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.