Internet issues with Chromebook 514

SurrealStoic
SurrealStoic Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hello,

I have a Chromebook 514 for about a month now and every time I do anything on the internet it says it is connected and the signal is strong but NOTHING loads. 

The connection only lasts about one to two minutes and this is the only device that has this issue. Even my ACER from 2014 worked properly with my internet.

Can I solve this?

Answers

• ragsak28
    ragsak28 Ally Posts: 677
    Hi @SurrealStoic

You can try to do the power wash. 

Steps: 

You need to press and hold down the Esc button and the refresh button and then you have to turn on the laptop. You will get an error message in the screen saying please insert your recovery media or SD card. Then you have to press Ctrl+D and then you have to follow the on screen instructions. But it will remove all the information from the laptop.

Hope it will help you in some way.
  • SurrealStoic

Tinkerer

Hi @ragsak28

Thank you very much for you reply. I actually did that and the issue persists.

If for example I play one song on Spotify, a video on YouTube it will stop in around a minute as if the internet stops working. In the system it says it's connected and the signal is strong.. but it only works if I disconnect and connect again! :( 

This is very sad, I really liked the Acer product when I saw it in the store
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @SurrealStoic,

Check for updates yourself

1. Turn on your Chromebook.
    2. Connect your Chromebook to Wi-Fi.
    3. At the bottom right, select the time.
    4. Select Settings .
    5. At the bottom of the left panel, select About Chrome OS.
    6. Under "Google Chrome OS," you'll find which version of the Chrome operating system your Chromebook uses.
    7. Select      Check for updates.
    8. If your Chromebook finds a software update, it will start to download automatically.​
  • SurrealStoic

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi @SurrealStoic,

Check for updates yourself

1. Turn on your Chromebook.
    2. Connect your Chromebook to Wi-Fi.
    3. At the bottom right, select the time.
    4. Select Settings .
    5. At the bottom of the left panel, select About Chrome OS.
    6. Under "Google Chrome OS," you'll find which version of the Chrome operating system your Chromebook uses.
    7. Select      Check for updates.
    8. If your Chromebook finds a software update, it will start to download automatically.​
    It is updated! Version 100.0.4896.82
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    So after the couple of minutes the connection to the internet goes away? Can you reconnect or does it stay gone until you reboot?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SurrealStoic

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    So after the couple of minutes the connection to the internet goes away? Can you reconnect or does it stay gone until you reboot?
    Hi @billsey , it goes away after a couple of minutes literally. Even though it says it is connected on the bottom right side of the screen.

No website or function that requires internet connection will work. 

The option is to go to the bottom right side, disconnect the internet and connect again. But then you need to be repeating the process every 2 minutes
  • billsey
    So there might be something trying to change your network settings, a malicious website could potentially do it. Often they change your DNS to point at their servers or put a proxy in between your system and the world. Either would allow them to potentially capture things like typed in login credentials. Try shutting down fully, including all browser windows and tabs after setting the browser to not open previous tabs when launched then open the browser to only a specific site like Google.com. Stay there and do searches without following any links for long enough to see if the issue is still present. If it is we are going to need to do more diagnostics, if it isn't then you are going to want to look at the sites you typically have opened...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SurrealStoic

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    So there might be something trying to change your network settings, a malicious website could potentially do it. Often they change your DNS to point at their servers or put a proxy in between your system and the world. Either would allow them to potentially capture things like typed in login credentials. Try shutting down fully, including all browser windows and tabs after setting the browser to not open previous tabs when launched then open the browser to only a specific site like Google.com. Stay there and do searches without following any links for long enough to see if the issue is still present. If it is we are going to need to do more diagnostics, if it isn't then you are going to want to look at the sites you typically have opened...
    Hi @billsey,

I've done the powerwash and the issue persist on the simplest of websites, I've only went on YouTube, Spotify and Facebook. The issue happens every time after a short period. Even by doing Google searches ... :( 

• Oateseyra
    Oateseyra Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Has this issue ever been resolved as I have the same problem with a recently purchased Spin 514? I'm on version 104.0.5112.105 of Chrome.

• billsey

In this case the user never told us which 514 model they had and what the warranty status was. We would have suggested warranty service after the diagnostics came up without a solution, but we'll never know for sure. Start a new thread for your issue using the Ask a Question button and include the full model number (likely something like SP515-xxx-xxxx) so we can look at the hardware involved.

• SurrealStoic

Tinkerer

Hey mate, I've been travelling with this device in Germany, Portugal and in California and the conclusion is that my router in Germany sucks.

In California and in Portugal the internet was more stable, check your router. It's not the chromebook. It's the crappy German routers