Acer AN515-54-5812 won't boot

ae690
ae690 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I've had this Acer Nitro 5 laptop for about two years now. Recently, it stopped booting: when I press the power button, the power indicator LED lights up for about five seconds, then goes out. There is no other activity: the screen stays black, there is no sound from the fans or hard drive, and the keyboard does not light up.

I checked that the charger has the specified 19V of output, and the battery charging LED lights up when it is connected. I also tried the static discharge procedure without any luck.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong with this laptop would be appreciated.

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited July 2022
    Power off the machine and disconnect the charging cable from the machine. Check whether there is a small pinhole on the underside of the machine. Not all models have a pinhole. If pinhole is present, press into the hole for 5 s with a bent paper clip without a sheath. Then press the on/off switch continuously for 20 s and ignore intermittent restarts of the machine. If pinhole is not present, press the on/off switch continuously for 20 s and ignore intermittent restarts of the machine. Reconnect the device to the power supply and start it.
    It is also possible that the keyboard cable on the motherboard has come loose. This would require opening the device and reattaching the connector.

• ae690

Tinkerer

Thanks for the response, wascas.

There is no pinhole on this laptop. Pressing the on/off switch continuously does not cause any activity. As I mentioned, pressing the on/off switch briefly causes the power indicator light to come on for about 5 seconds. So, the keyboard does seem to be connected. I did open up the laptop anyway, located the keyboard cable, and disconnected/reconnected it, without any improvement.

While I had it open, I measured the voltage across the main battery connector on the motherboard side and saw 15.5V. I measured 3.1V for the CMOS battery on the motherboard side. As far as I can tell, both measurements are normal for these batteries.

I also tried removing the memory cards, one at a time, and placing just one of them into each of the two slots. Lastly, I moved the SSD card from the default slot to the expansion slot. None of this had any effect.

I was hoping that the computer would give me some sort of power-on self-test diagnostic. Since the only response is the 5-second power indicator LED, I was wondering if that means anything?

• ae690

Tinkerer

I'm still trying to find out what's wrong with this laptop:
    More specifically, I'm trying to figure out a way to get to the power-on self-test (POST) diagnostic code. There are no beeps and, as far as I can tell, no LEDs that would communicate such a code.
    So far, I haven't been able to find a POST card that is compatible with any of the ports on the motherboard.
    If anyone has experience in this area, please share.
  • Try unplugging the lithium battery, the rtc battery and pressing the power button for thirty seconds.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ae690

Tinkerer

thanks for the suggestion. I did try and am seeing no difference in the laptop's behavior: after reconnecting both batteries and pressing the ON button, the power indicator LED lights up for ~5 seconds, and that's all the computer does.

• Is your laptop under warranty?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ae690

Tinkerer

Hi @egydiocoelho
    no, it's out of warranty by now.
  • I advise sending the laptop in for repair. Check sorin's channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Electronicsrepairschool

egydiocoelho Trailblazer