Acer Chromebox CXI3-UA91 audio problem

CLee
CLee Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I have been using this chromebox  connected to a TV for  1 1/2 years and it works fine.

Few weeks ago after an OS update the chromebox started to have  audio problem:

Quite suddenly voice messages won't play  and videos (from chrome browser) won't play unless you mute the audio.  You have to reboot to fix the problem and soon the same thing happens again.
It has been going on for a few weeks now and surprisingly the most recent os update does not fix the problem.

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    CLee

Please try these basic steps..

Try to do a chrome reset on your chromebook   
    open chrome
    click on three dots on top right corner 
    click on settings
    Scroll down - go to advanced
    click on restore setting to default
    you will see reset settings - cancel
    click on reset settings 
    Close the chrome and open it.  It should work fine..

If it is still not working..

We need to do a power wash on your chrome book. 
    Restart the chromebook.
    On the login screen please don’t type the password.
    Hold the Ctrl key + shift key + alt key on keyboard and then press the letter r once
    It will show “Reset this pc”
    Click on power wash and continue..
    Please understand it will clear the local and user settings..
    Please complete the final setup..
    Connnect to wifi and type the wifi password
    Login to chromebook with your regular password
    Now try to connect to bluetooth..

It should work fine ..

If it is still not working.. 

Kindly follow the details from the link given below.    It will show you how to perform a hard reset. 

Once the hard reset is completed try to check whether it is working fine by connecting to wireless.   

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    As billsey already suggested, I'd also try google support for advice since it's affected several machines just after the ChromeOS update. So it doesn't sound like a hardware issue. You may have to rollback to the immediate past version using a stand-alone ChromeOS version setup file.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    >>>.feel like I am playing whackamole after these updates this past few weeks>>>

You should try a Windows machine if you like playing whackamole.  To help keep your playing skills in good form, automatic Windows updates and accompanying side effects come pretty fast & furious these days --- almost daily. Occasionally you might even find a Windows update that's actually beneficial. Yes, firing up a Windows machine is always an adventure to see if it will boot and run normally after shutting it down normally the night before.  :)

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Yep, me too. Only Mint since last half-way decent WinVer went away.

Jack E/NJ

• CLee

Tinkerer

cmurw333,

For me a simple reboot would fix the problem temporarily.
     I feel Acer should take the initiative to deal  with ChromeOS  team, it would be more effective than individuals filing bugs. The problem might be only specific to Acer  ChromeOS machines.
  • JackE
    >>>Just communicated with Google and they dont think the Files-swa issue/setting has any pertinence to our audio/video issue but has passed it on internally to the dept who handles it.  >>>

Ah yes. Sounds like Google's renowned Whack-A-Mole department is on the case now. You must be relieved.   :D

Jack E/NJ

• CLee

Tinkerer

cmurw333

Thank you for the info.

I only use CXI3 to watch movies/TV. I have a Windows 10 as my main non-work computer, I'm getting fed up with Windows updates and mandatory virus protection program and thinking of switching to Linux. Your message indicates you switched from Linux to Chromeos, that's a potential option for me too. Love to hear your reasons for switching from Linux to Chromeos. Thanks!
  • JackE
    Mint's where it's at right now. Can be easily setup with the same look, feel, function & stability of Win7 only a lot faster especially on newer machines. Compatible/interchangeable with just about all the mainstream Windows apps and business suites. Full access to Windows partitions if you just gotta have Windows alongside too This is not your grandfather's distro anymore. :)

Jack E/NJ

• CLee

Tinkerer

JackE,

Thank you for the info about Mint.
  • CLee

Tinkerer

cmurw333,

Thanks for your reply. Useful consideration, I'm in the same boat, don't want to spend much time maintaining computers.
  • CLee

Tinkerer

cmurw333,

Thanks for your reply. Useful consideration, I'm in the same boat, don't want to spend much time maintaining computers.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Good to hear, please let us know how well the fix works.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CLee

Tinkerer

cmurw333,

Thanks for the update. My Chromebox has gone through 5+ updates so far but the problem persists. I have been thinking buying another chromebox to replace my Windows10 machine. But this issue gives me a second thought.