Does AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U Acer TravelMate P2 laptop works with Ubuntu 22.04

2»

Answers

• lemonpuffs
    lemonpuffs Member Posts: 21

Tinkerer

edited August 2022
    To install the driver for NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q] :smile: 

In a terminal:

sudo apt purge '^.*nvidia*'

sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop

sudo apt purge "^.*cublas*"

sudo apt purge "^.*cuda*"

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old

sudo apt autoremove

sudo reboot now

While rebooting, press F2 to get into BIOS, go to boot menu, disable Secure Boot, exit and save changes and continue and let then Ubuntu load completely.

The in a terminal you can:

sudo ubuntu-drivers devices

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

sudo reboot now

Now you can use external monitor display or do nvidia-smi

Hope it helps someone.

Resources:

List of Linux Distro with failed/success status for NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q]

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Hold on! It already looks pretty good to go except you must enable F12 boot option in the Main tab. You might also want to shrink the Windows partition ahead of time to make plenty of room or unallocated space for the Linux installation. Press WIN+R, enter 'diskmgmt.msc' to do this safely with Windows disk management app.

Then insert the Linux installation USB iso. Turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F12 key to show a menu to allow you to boot from the USB stick. Some distros need to have secure boot disabled in the BIOS. Some distros like Mint often don't. You may have to set and save a BIOS supervisor password, the reenter the BIOS with the password, to disable secure boot in the BOOT tab.

Jack E/NJ

• lemonpuffs

Tinkerer

Jack, after install Ubuntu, how should I set the BIOS settings?

Currently

- Disabled Secure Boot

- Enabled Fast Boot

- Disabled F12 menu
  • JackE

STOP!!!!

I can't tell if you've tried to change anything since you posted a lot of Linux commands that should NOT be needed at this point.  Have you changed anything at all since you acquired the machine? For example, you cannot use MBR partitioning or you risk losing everything on the factory boot drive

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    You need to disable secure boot and enable the boot menu in order to boot into the Linux installer. Once you have Linux up and running you can select the Linux EFI boot file as trusted, then re-enable secure boot and either leave the boot menu enabled or disable it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lemonpuffs

Tinkerer

Too late, I have already installed Ubuntu alongside with Windows. Had to use the previous boot usb with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

After acquired the machine, I did the following:

0. BIOS was v 1.06 as-is that came with new laptop.

1. Update Windows until no more Windows update.

2. BIOS became 1.08 after Windows update.

3. Use Windows Disk partition management to allocated around 270 GB of space.

4. Shutdown and boot into Windows

5. Shutdown and press F2 to go into BIOS menu.

- Set Supervisor Password
    - Set Secure Boot = Disabled
    - Set Fast Boot = Disabled
    - Set F12 Boot menu = Enabled.
    - Saved changes and shutdown

6. Put usb with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and start up computer and press F12

7. On Grub menu, select Ubuntu on the top selection.

8. Try Ubuntu --> Test using Ubuntu 20.04 on USB and it works.

9. Reboot -> Took off usb media -> Boot into windows -> Shutdown

10. Press F12 on starting up laptop, select Ubuntu on the top selection

11. Install Ubuntu -> Install alongside with Windows

12. After Ubuntu successfully loads,

To upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
    - sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    <br>
    13. To install the driver for NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q] 

In a terminal:

sudo apt purge '^.*nvidia*'

sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop

sudo apt purge "^.*cublas*"

sudo apt purge "^.*cuda*"

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old

sudo apt autoremove

sudo reboot now

While rebooting, press F2 to get into BIOS, go to boot menu, disable Secure Boot, exit and save changes and continue and let then Ubuntu load completely.

The in a terminal you can:

sudo ubuntu-drivers devices

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

sudo reboot now

Now you can use external monitor display or do nvidia-sm
  • lemonpuffs

Tinkerer

Using Rufus to write boot usb (1. mbr option and 2. gpt option) does not work, the BIOS was unable to detect the boot usb on F12.

I had to use a previous written boot usb with Ubuntu 20.04. Cannot remember how was the boot usb written. I believe the boot usb was written by an application on MacOS. 
  • lemonpuffs

Tinkerer

The partition Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on is GPT.

After pressing the brightness fn + F9 or fn + F10 in Ubuntu, the brightness was automatically set to lowest. I am unable to increase brightness back
    -
  • JackE
    OK. Thanks for reporting back. Good luck with it. :)

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Do things like fingerprint readers work? I'd expect the network to be fine but the more esoteric devices could be problematic.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lemonpuffs

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Do things like fingerprint readers work? I'd expect the network to be fine but the more esoteric devices could be problematic.
    How do I test fingerprint reader works?

JackE said:
    OK. Thanks for reporting back. Good luck with it. :)
    :smile:  Thanks! What else do I need to do?

billsey said:
    You need to disable secure boot and enable the boot menu in order to boot into the Linux installer. Once you have Linux up and running you can select the Linux EFI boot file as trusted, then re-enable secure boot and either leave the boot menu enabled or disable it.

"Once you have Linux up and running you can select the Linux EFI boot file as trusted, then re-enable secure boot and either leave the boot menu enabled or disable it." --> I have not done this yet.

• JackE
    >>>Thanks! What else do I need to do? >>>>

Nothing. Just use it and experiment with the running Windows and Linux systems as they are. Don't start changing the operating system or BIOS settings unless and until you have a serious issue that prevents booting into or otherwise using either operating system.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Go to Settings and the click on Users. You should see all the user accounts on your system here. You’ll see several option including Fingerprint Login if the system recognizes your fingerprint reader.