How do I remove and replace the SSD on the Aspire 1 A114-31?

Jaques
Jaques Member Posts: 4 New User
The BIOS show "None" for the HDD. I've got the bottom off but don't see the SSD. How do I get to it? What are the specs required for a replacement?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Check this information:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,858 Trailblazer
    Jaques said:
    The BIOS show "None" for the HDD. I've got the bottom off but don't see the SSD. How do I get to it? What are the specs required for a replacement?

Thanks!
    Undo the 11 screws on the laptops back. Open the buckle with a pick, This laptop does not have provisions for an M.2 or any upgrades to a 2.5" ssd, its got soldered on 64GB ssd. See this link: Inside Acer Aspire 1 (A114-32) – disassembly and upgrade options

• Jaques
    Thanks for responding. I've gotten this far. Which chip is the SSD?  My laptop has only 30Gb; I'm guessing Acer uses an emmc. Replacement would probably require a hot air soldering rig, yes?
  • The connectors should be soldered here:

But just soldering them is not enough. It is necessary to solder capacitors and resistors around as well. The ideal is to buy an A314-31 motherboard, which has these soldered slots.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jaques
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the motherboard looks likely to cost more than the laptop is worth. 

The problem is the emmc chip seems to have died; I'd like to pull and replace it.  You showed me were the pads for a socket are on the circuit board; can you tell me where the chip itself is or what it looks like?

Thank you!

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Check this information:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Jaques
    Precisely what I was hoping for - you're great!
    Thanks,
    Jacques