Is 800 watts enough for the RTX 3090?

skyborn_al
skyborn_al Member Posts: 40 Troubleshooter
hi there i was just wondering is 800 power supply good for a 3090

Best Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    RTX 3090 (with overclock) requires at least 850 watts, without overlock at least 750 Watts.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Acer ships some systems with a 800W PSU and the 3090. That means they've tested it to work in that environment. Add too many power hungry peripherals (specifically maxing out the memory) might give you some flaky behavior when pushing the power limits like that.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Dolly885
    Dolly885 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓

800W should be enough, but acquiring at least a 1000W PSU would be a better investment, this is simply because it'll provide enough power for the CPU and other components.

Here it says you should get at least an 80+ Gold 1000W power supply

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    RTX 3090 (with overclock) requires at least 850 watts, without overlock at least 750 Watts.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Acer ships some systems with a 800W PSU and the 3090. That means they've tested it to work in that environment. Add too many power hungry peripherals (specifically maxing out the memory) might give you some flaky behavior when pushing the power limits like that.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • skyborn_al
    skyborn_al Member Posts: 40 Troubleshooter
    i just did a upgrade to my power supply unit to a 1300 watt 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    hi there i was just wondering is 800 power supply good for a 3090
    The RTX-3090 gpu's minimum suggested PSU is a 750W type but, I would go bigger to make sure that you have enough power for all your peripherals as an 850W is just adequate and I would fit an 1000W PSU like the Corsair RM1000x (2021) Review as its quite and btw, I'm using it on my AMD Ryzen 9 5950X/RTX-3080/64GB DDR-4 3600 CL18 desktop that I've just built and this PSU is just brilliant, its quite and handles any power and any additional peripherals that I throw at it and its not expensive so "its up to you"? 

This is the final test conclusion on its review:
    There is not much competition in the 1000W Gold category since most PSUs with similar capacity are Platinum or Titanium. A good and more expensive alternative option is the Seasonic Prime Gold 1000, which achieves higher performance. Still, it doesn't have such a good cooling fan, and its overall noise output is notably higher than Corsair's offering. 

Achieves high performance, and it isn't noisy, despite its increased max power output. It uses quality parts, including Japanese caps and a Magnetic Levitation fan, ideal for operation under high operating temperatures. It is fully compatible with the newest ATX spec (2.52), so among others, it offers high efficiency under super-light loads, and it also supports Microsoft's Modern Standby, which allows for speedy wake-from-sleep times (you also need a compatible motherboard). This is one of the best 1000W PSUs and it doesn't cost a fortune, despite the high-quality parts that it uses. 

• Dolly885
    Dolly885 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓

800W should be enough, but acquiring at least a 1000W PSU would be a better investment, this is simply because it'll provide enough power for the CPU and other components.

Here it says you should get at least an 80+ Gold 1000W power supply