can i use Linux with the Aspire Nitro 5?

Nachtfalke
Nachtfalke Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in Aspire Laptops
Hey,

Given that most threads on the topic are considerably older, I hope its okay I open a new thread:

I want to switch to Manjaro Linux. (Or a similar OS.)

I have faithfully followed this and other instructions but to no avail: Either the suggested solutions simply do not work - simply doesn't appear like I can change from RAID to AHCI on my machine via shortcut, for example. Or, I follow the instructions, and then there is an installation error.

So, is it possible at all to install Linux on an Aspire Nitro 5, and have a reasonably solid working performance? - Or, will I simply remain chained to Windows 10 for the time being?

Thank you, and sorry if this sounds as if I'm ranting. Very happy with the laptop; just that my entire home system works on Linux, and so I have wanted to make this change for quite a while. :)

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>> is it possible at all to install Linux on an Aspire Nitro 5,>>>

Yes but the procedure varies depending on the AN5 BIOS setup, Intel vs AMD, and RAID setup and m.2 card acceleration.  There are many AN5 flavors. Please post a phone photo of your BIOS Information tab if possible so we can see what you're up against.

Jack E/NJ

• Nachtfalke
    edited October 2023
    Hey! Thank you for your help! Sure, will do: ...Should have dusted off the screen before I did the photo. :#

• JackE
    OK. Now post phone photos of the BIOS MAIN & ADVANCED tabs after pressing Ctrl+S to reveal any hidden options.

Jack E/NJ

• Nachtfalke
    edited August 2022
    Thank you! There was my first mistake: Like a broken clock, I had been looking for the "secret options" in the wrong tab.

Here's the secret options in BIOS/MAIN:

No secret options in BIOS/ADVANCED though, or the shortcut doesn't seem to work.
  • JackE
    OK. Don't try to change anything in the BIOS yet. Boot into Windows normally. Then press WIN+R. Enter 'diskmgmt.msc' Please post a screenshot of result.

Jack E/NJ