R752TN No power, won't charge

Roguefysh
Roguefysh Member Posts: 6 New User
Hello all,
I have a R752TN which has completely died. It was working fine, and when I went to use it half an hour later it was dead, I have no idea why. I can't get it to turn on or charge. I've tried both charging ports, multiple chargers and leads, various "button press" remedies, different wall sockets and left it on charge overnightand and I'm still not getting anywhere. I even disconnected the battery to see if it would power just on mains but it didn't. I've left it disconnected overnight and tried again on mains without luck, although I don't honestly know if it's supposed to be able to run without the battery connected. Is there anything else I can try, or can anyone point me in the direction of the actual fault? 

Thank you in advance

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>> I take it that means the battery is at fault?>>>

Agreed. But still a best guess. Not a 100% certainty. Replacement prices seem to vary quite a bit depending on your country or region.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    How many years ago did you purchase it? Battery packs lose between 10-20% capacity per year even if sitting unused on a shelf. So after 5 years, the pack could very well be dead. Many mainboards won't power on without a functional battery pack. I suggest googling your model number and battery for vendors who ship new replacment batteries to your region. You should also check the voltage output of your charger plug with a multimeter. Should be about 19vdc.

Jack E/NJ

• Roguefysh
    Thanks for replying. I bought it second-hand a  month ago, and it's been working perfectly well until the other day, when it just died altogether. I've allready checked the charger and used a different one just in case. Do you think it's definitely a battery issue? I have looked and they're quite expensive compared to what I paid for it, so there needs to be a good chance a new battery will fix it to be worthwhile.
  • JackE
    >>>R752TN>>>

Re-check the model number. Should be something like R7-372T or R7-572T.

Jack E/NJ

• Roguefysh
    From the bottom casing, same label as the S/N and SNID, model is R752TN-C32N
  • JackE
    OK. You have a Spin 11 chromebook. Without an inexpensive digital multimeter to check the charger output and battery terminal dc voltages, I can only guess. My best guess is that the battery is dead. I suggest that you first invest in an inexpensive digital multimeter (around $10usd) because getting a new battery and/or a new charger will cost at least twice as much each . And they may not solve the problem if both your current battery and charger check out OK with a multimeter. Then the multimeter will tell you that it's a more serious problem. Investing in a multimeter can save you money in the long run, not only with this machine but with other mobile devices as well when problems like this occur.

Jack E/NJ

• Roguefysh
    I have multimeters and have already checked the charger and battery. The charger was exactly as expected. I went along the various battery terminals checking pairs (1-2, 1-3,1-4 etc) and did find some readings but they almost immediately reduced to under 1 volt. Even the 11.55 volt pair I found took under 1 second to reduce to 0.6 volts. The problem is that I don't know if that's normal or not, given the various smart features in modern batteries. In other words, is it a fault or did the battery sense no load and cut the output.
  • JackE
    Battery not normal. You should now disconnect the battery from the mainboard.  Then try to check the mainboard battery socket pins for voltage output (usually between the red and black wire pins at the end of the socket) with the charger plugged in. 

Jack E/NJ

• Roguefysh
    There are 2 black and 2 red. Any combination of those 2 gives 12.07 volts. I can test other pairs if needed, but I take it that means the battery is at fault?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>> I take it that means the battery is at fault?>>>

Agreed. But still a best guess. Not a 100% certainty. Replacement prices seem to vary quite a bit depending on your country or region.

Jack E/NJ

• Roguefysh
    Thank you so much for your help JackE, I think it's worth trying a new battery. I will update once I've tried that, just in case anyone else ends up here with the same problem.
  • JackE
    OK. Good luck. Let us know either way. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it fixes the problem. :)

Jack E/NJ