Swollen battery - how to replace/repair Swift 7 (model n16q12)

kpallist
kpallist Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
Hi. I have a Swift 7 (model  n16q12) purchased directly from acer.com in 2019. The battery has suddenly developed a swelling and the chassis of the laptop no longer sits flat on the desk. Can I get a replacement battery and/or replacement laptop? Do you have authorized service places in Portland Oregon? (would rather not have to ship laptop out for lengthy repair as I need it for work)

( edited the title to add the model name )

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    kpallist said:
    Hi. I have a Swift 7 (model  n16q12) purchased directly from acer.com in 2019. The battery has suddenly developed a swelling and the chassis of the laptop no longer sits flat on the desk. Can I get a replacement battery and/or replacement laptop? Do you have authorized service places in Portland Oregon? (would rather not have to ship laptop out for lengthy repair as I need it for work)
    This community is not the actual Acer manufacturer, we are an Acer community that interact with users of Acer products and solve problems.

BE WARNED - If your Swift 7 N
    16Q12 laptop battery is swollen then disconnect it straight away and don't use it with the laptop as it could explode and/or could cause physical damage to anyone that is around or can cause a fire, be careful as batteries are dangerous if they overheat as they can explode and swelling is the first sign of this to happen! 

First I would suggest that you take your laptop to an experienced technician or to Acer as your laptop is not under warranty as they could advise you properly and/or they might ??? consider a solution or replacement, but I cant guarantee that 100%! Your laptop need to be analyzed why your battery has swollen as there could be faults within your laptop that have cause this, as its very dangerous to just replace the battery as the new battery could explode, be warned of the dangers as I can't advise you otherwise!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    kpallist said:
    This community is not the actual Acer manufacturer, we are an Acer community that interact with users of Acer products and solve problems.

BE WARNED - If your Swift 7 N
    16Q12 laptop battery is swollen then disconnect it straight away and don't use it with the laptop as it could explode and/or could cause physical damage to anyone that is around or can cause a fire, be careful as batteries are dangerous if they overheat as they can explode and swelling is the first sign of this to happen! 

First I would suggest that you take your laptop to an experienced technician or to Acer as your laptop is not under warranty as they could advise you properly and/or they might ??? consider a solution or replacement, but I cant guarantee that 100%! Your laptop need to be analyzed why your battery has swollen as there could be faults within your laptop that have cause this, as its very dangerous to just replace the battery as the new battery could explode, be warned of the dangers as I can't advise you otherwise!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,690 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    I believe your actual model number (likely on the same sticker as the SN and SNID) is a SP714-51-M024 (we don't have a cross reference for that 'model number' other than Googling it)). You can contact Acer support to see if they are doing anything about battery replacement on them, but at the age it is (released in 2016/2017 IIRC) it's not too likely. Luckily the batteries are pretty readily available on the secondary market, and not too tough to replace.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ingrid-Acer
    Ingrid-Acer Administrator Posts: 3,302 Community Administrator
    Hello kpallist

I am sorry for the issue you're going through with your notebook. I sent you a private message, please reply at your convenience.

Best Regards, 
    Acer-Ingrid