Windows 10 Updater Hs Jammed My SSD FULL and Won't Update

ZyzyxTheGreat
ZyzyxTheGreat Member Posts: 6 New User
Please help, someone else has to have also have had this problem.

I have a One S1002 2-in-1 lap-tablet running Windows 10
Intel Atom  CPU 1.33 GHz 1.82 GHz
RAM 2 GB
Internal SSD 32 GB - 24 MB free - less than 24 hours ago there was 754 MB free - before this started 13.9 GB free
64 GB SD "external" ("D:" drive) chip inserted
Windows 10 Home
Build 1803 - yep, it's been so long that I have had this problem
OS Build 17134.1304

When I started to update this version of Windows in the summer of 2019, it failed, I suspected due to a connection (internet) issue here in the Philippines. I checked through my SSD and noted 13.9 GB of free space. As I was able to connect (coin operated WiFi stations), the Windows Updater automatically attempted to update the OS. Within only a few attempts that SSD was down to just a couple of GB free. I set the unit aside for a while as I worked other projects and used my phone a lot more. Well, now I need this unit working. I am down to 24 MB Free - the was 754 MB YESTERDAY!

This is definitely the updater do this. I cannot see folders, there is no "windows.old" folder, I have run the "Free Up Space" so many times it is stupid. I do not have a "restore" point saved. While I am quite adept as using a Windows machine, I am not highly proficient in the tech support of it.

When I look through the "Applications" the Free Up Space tool says there are 9.2 GB of apps, but the "God mode" admin tools say only 1.63 GB of apps, 29 apps.

The Free Up Space states 13.8 GB of system, but when I go in to inspect what is there, there is not 13.8 GB of stuff. When I click on the Windows folder, where the update files are supposedly loaded the folder properties say over 22 GB.

Free Up Space says that is 1.9 GB of temp files, but when I open that tool there is about 32 MB that it will show and never actually deletes any of it.

I'm stuck and cannot use this thing as I cannot update ANY other app. I have moved as many as I could to the "D:" drive.

If I have to completely nuke the install and start again, and that is your suggestion, you must include instructions for how I can manage to protect my fully licensed version of MS Word. I lost my MS login account information a long time ago (not intentionally) and cannot reload it from the source: CAN I JUST copy and paste the whoe Word folder from the C: drive, paste it into my "D:" drive, and later still have it work after nuking and rebuilding the SSD completely? Can I run iTunes app from the "D:" drive? All of the music files ARE already on the "D:" drive.

Please help. I am getting desperate. There is nothing left on the C: drive to delete - I even moved the user folders and all saved materials to the "D:" drive.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Try inserting a 16GB or 32GB NTFS formatted SD card to store temporary files that updates need to complete on internal boot drives that have run out of space to store these temporary installation files.

Jack E/NJ

• Try doing a disk cleanup as an administrator too:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ZyzyxTheGreat
    JackE said:
    Try inserting a 16GB or 32GB NTFS formatted SD card to store temporary files that updates need to complete on internal boot drives that have run out of space to store these temporary installation files.
    This sounds like a good plan, except... I don't know how to do it. I have a USB flash drive, I do not have a spare SD card. I have a USB port. I tried once to use the "D:" drive, which is 64 GB, but the transfer of files would have taken 3-days minimum and likely would have failed. 

Do you know: Can I simply copy-n-paste my MS Word folder from the apps folder into my "D:" drive, do a complete wipe and restore Windows install, put the MS Word folder back into the applications folder and have it still work? I don't know how to test this without risking the application.

Thanks
  • ZyzyxTheGreat
    Try doing a disk cleanup as an administrator too:

I have tried this multiple times, even went in through the "God Mode" tools to do it (several times). Nothing works to get rid of the 13 GB of files the updater has installed that are invisible.

Your thoughts on using a USB flash drive with a bootable version of Windows? How to do this if it would work?

Thanks
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>> I do not have a spare SD card>>>

A $10 16GB SD card is probably the easiest, fastest and most straightforward  thing to try. Without it, you might even have trouble installing a fresh copy of the latest Windows version on a wiped emmc.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    In the disk cleanup, allow it to remove system files (button at lower left). That can remove the SoftwareDistribution files where downloaded updates reside. Next manually download the update file to your SD card and run it from there. 13GB may not be enough room, but it should be close.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    Hey ZyzyxTheGreat I've had allot of problems with the Acer One's also, so I'm talking from a frustrated and from personal experience :smile: as the specs of your Acer One are very low for Win-10 to operate usefully and efficiently on a laptop that has the same specs that I had!
    :smile:

Intel Atom  CPU 1.33 GHz 1.82 GHz
    RAM 2 GB
    Internal SSD 32 GB - 24 MB free - less than 24 hours ago there was 754 MB free - before this started 13.9 GB free
    64 GB SD "external" ("D:" drive) chip inserted
    Windows 10 Home
    Build 1803 - yep, it's been so long that I have had this problem
    OS Build 17134.1304

My Aspire One Happy2 (that I still have and I'm using it asa paper weight) has the Intel Atom N550, 2 cores 4 threads 1.5GHz and I also upgraded the RAM from its 1GB OEM to 2GB DDR3-DDR3-1333MHz and even upgraded its Wi-Fi 2.4G card to a Wi-Fi/BT and also upgraded it to a Samsung 2.5" 256GB EVO 850 SSD and it still was unusable and very slow in Win-10 Home 32bit, as my laptop came with and was designed for nothing more than the Windows 7 Starter OS (and it also had a basic Google Android that you had to dual boot into) as these OS's work perfectly with that sort of an OS only. The problem with these laptops is that 2GB is not enough for Win-10 and especially their integrated Intel GMA 3150 graphics that are useless. Just my opinion as I would not peruse and/or spend any money on upgrades with these sorts of laptops, as and if you are not prepared to run them at their original OEM Acer specs and how they were then these laptops are a waste of time. money and effort. 
  • camila89
    camila89 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hi, I will recommend you use a SD card to move files and get rid of unwanted space. Apart from this, you can also use optimization software like Advanced System Optimizer and clear space.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder

Your disk may have some space to spare, but I do not think your atom processor can handle windows 10. I can tell this with experience when I tried to load Windows 10 on my many year old laptop with atom processor and 2 GB RAM ( i bumped RAM to 8 GB and replaced the HDD with 256 GB SSD), and despite adding new hardware wasn't able to install 10.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045