Acer Travelmate. Wifi AX201 device won't start after small Windows Update (Win11) P215-52

Jamie99
Jamie99 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa
After updating to see if a problem with the headphone jack could be sorted with an update (it was) the AX201 WiFi device isn't loading.
We've tried:
  • Update Driver
  • Uninstall & reboot
  • Latest drivers from Intel
  • Latest drivers from Acer
Nothing resolves the situation...  We've tried loading older drivers but the system refuses saying the "Best" version was already loaded.  FFS!

We've tried to rollback to Windows 10, but that option is "No Longer Available".

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

( edited the title to add the model name )

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    It might help if you cojuld reveal the TravelMate series model number. For example, P215-53G?

Jack E/NJ

• Jamie99
    JackE said:
    It might help if you cojuld reveal the TravelMate series model number. For example, P215-53G?
    It's a P215-52 
    hope that helps
  • JackE
    If possible, please post a screenshot of Device Manager without manually expanding any folders.

Jack E/NJ

• Jamie99
    JackE said:
    If possible, please post a screenshot of Device Manager without manually expanding any folders.

here you go.
    this is the only folder that is automatically expanded

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Bring up Properties on the AX201. What is the error message?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jamie99
    Here is the property of the AX201 and I have also included the list of events.
    I installed the update on 1/08/2022 close to midnight (to fix the headphone jack) but now the driver isn't working 
  • JackE
    >>>After updating to see if a problem with the headphone jack could be sorted with an update (it was) the AX201 WiFi device isn't loading>>>

Part of the problem is Win11. It would've been better to wait to install till the ACER OEM drivers were ready. They still aren't.

Whatever update you applied for the headphone problem might've somehow  indirectly interfered  with wifi via the integrated AX201 Bluetooth driver. I suggest downloading & unzipping the both updated Acer OEM Win10 Bluetooth and Wifi drivers

Then go back into Device Manager and uninstall both the Bluetooth folder and Wifi AX201 drivers. Make sure you load the correct driver for your device. Don't re-boot. If the unzipped Bluetooth and Wifi drivers have setup EXE execcutables, right click on them. Choose properties. Click compatibility tab. Click run executable in Win10 compatibility mode if possible.  

Jack E/NJ

• Jamie99
    Hi JackE, thanks very much for that.
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have resolved the issue...
    As you can see, the Bluetooth device setup is a bit different from previously, but the WiFi remains the same... :(

Both drivers loaded without a problem, but no joy.

Could it be that I'll have to use a USB WiFi adapter until Acer release their own driver for Win11?

• JackE
    >>>Could it be that I'll have to use a USB WiFi adapter until Acer release their own driver for Win11?>>>

Likely yes. This is why I've avoided Win11 like the plague despite the Microsoft update claims that my machine is ready for Win11 with brightly colored flashing notices.  Win11 is still less than half-baked just like Win10 is still only a little more than half-baked.  Other users have reported similar Win11 issues for other devices in which ACER OEM Win11 drivers weren't yet available. Some have been able to resolve the issues with online search tools like iobit's Driver Booster freeware. If you can RJ45 to your router, Driver Booster could scan your system  and to try to find something on line?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    I have two systems running Windows 11 using the AX201 card without issues, one with the Acer driver and Windows Update to it, the other running the latest from Intel using their driver assistant. Both have no issues to speak of. I'm leaning at this point to your card being bad, rather than a software issue. Luckily those cards aren't very expensive and are pretty easy to replace. If you are in warranty, of course, just have Acer fix it for you though. If you are replacing it yourself you might think about upgrading the an AX211 instead to get support for WiFi 6E instead of just WiFi 6. (Note that an AX200/AX210 uses a slightly different interface on the M.2 slot than an AX201/AX211 so you would normally use the matching type).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Can you install windows 10 or a live linux distribution? If the wireless network card works on another operating system, it would rule out a hardware problem.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)