Optane H10 32+512gb stopped reading the 512gb part

asdjniude
asdjniude Member Posts: 5 New User
The 512GB part stopped getting detected. Any solutions for this?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Please post a phone photo the BIOS Information tab by tapping F2 key on startup.

Jack E/NJ

• What is the exact model? Example PH315-52-58VH.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • asdjniude
    edited August 2022
    What is the exact model? Example PH315-52-58VH.
    NXHZ6SP002xxxxxxxxxxxxx

[Edited comment to delete personal or sensitive information]
  • JackE said:
    Please post a phone photo the BIOS Information tab by tapping F2 key on startup.
    Check this information tab.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • asdjniude
    edited August 2022
    JackE said:
    Check this information tab.
    Here it is.

[Edited comment to delete personal or sensitive information]
  • JackE
    edited August 2022
    Your laptop currently seems to be configured as an Intel optane memory enhanced Seagate HDD. This was not one of Intel's better ideas since it's not easily changed to an AHCI mode Seagate HDD that Ubuntu needs to install without re-installing Windows without the optane memory.

Accordingly, since 2.5" 1TB HDDs and SSDs are so cheap these days, I suggest that you remove the optane memory and replace the Seagate HDD drive with a new drive and install a fresh Windows copy on it in normal AHCI mode. Then ubuntu can be installed in dual boot. All the data on your old Seagate drive will still be available as a D : drive by using an inexpensive 2.5" USB-to-HDD adapter (Less than $10 USD). I suggest that a WesternDigital blue series HDD or a much faster SSD be used.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Your Optane isn't a 32+512GB, it's a 32+1TB since your HDD is a 1TB drive. It looks normal to me, though as suggested you'll get overall better performance if you replace the Optane memory with an NVMe SSD and use the 1TB just for data storage.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • asdjniude
    billsey said:
    Your Optane isn't a 32+512GB, it's a 32+1TB since your HDD is a 1TB drive. It looks normal to me, though as suggested you'll get overall better performance if you replace the Optane memory with an NVMe SSD and use the 1TB just for data storage.
    My ssd is a 32+512gb tho, its says so in the label
  • asdjniude
    I also found this in device manager. It says This device cannot start. (Code 10)

An I/O adapter hardware error has occurred.
  • I advise first backing up your files just in case. This is essential when this type of failure occurs. Then disable fast startup in power options and turn off the computer. Then disassemble the laptop, unplug the power adapter, unplug the lition battery, unplug the optane memory and the hard drive:
    https://youtu.be/hgjYmz9Zz64
    Then reconnect the lithium battery, hard disk and optane memory in that order and let me know if the problem persists.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    >>>My ssd is a 32+512gb tho, its says so in the label>>>

Sorry no, that's not what the label means. It's a 32GB size optane NVME card,  It can act as NAND flash memory to enhance the speed of an HDD 512GB or greater. You have a 1TB Seagate HDD that depended on this 32GB optane card to enhance it's speed. Device manager shows a problem with this optane NVME or its controller anyway so you probably shouldn't be using it anymore

Accordingly, since 2.5" 1TB HDDs and SSDs are so cheap these days, I still recommend that you remove the 32GB  optane NVME memory card and replace the Seagate HDD drive with a new drive and install a fresh Windows copy on it in normal AHCI mode. Then ubuntu can be installed in dual boot. All the data on your old Seagate drive will still be available as a D : drive by using an inexpensive 2.5" USB-to-HDD adapter (Less than $10 USD). I suggest that a WesternDigital blue series HDD or a much faster SSD be used.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Actually Jack, on further investigation, the device is pretty much what it says it is. It's supposed to be a 32GB Optane memory to accelerate the access for the 1TB HDD plus a 512GB SSD co-located on the stick. Two channels of PCIe are allocated for each device and they share the bus. That means it's a somewhat slower solution, but Intel thought it'd be popular. As far as I can see it was only available to OEMs originally but can now be found on venues like Amazon.
    @asdjniude code 10 doesn't tell us much, other than it's not working. A remove/reinstall might help if there's a corrosion issue on the M.2 socket. If it doesn't then likely the SSD side of the card has failed. :( The best fix in terms of overall performance and capacity is to junk it, put an x4 NVMe drive in it's place and potentially replace the HDD with a SSD as well. I am somewhat surprised they setup the system with the OS on the HDD in first place, normally you want that on the fastest device, which would have been the SSD portion of the Optane card.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

I think you're right. Intel apparently combined one of their bad ideas with a normal NVME. What innovation!  I also think it was set up only as a 32GB optane HDD enhancer. The 512GB part unused. For whatever reason --- probably due to the bad idea part --- it's apparently toast.

Jack E/NJ

• I would first try unplugging the lition battery and the h10 unit, to see if it solves the problem. Check that article too: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000060010/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dancedance
    dancedance Member Posts: 1 New User

Because so little seems to be understood about this SSD - I made an account to comment so that anyone else who runs into issues with it does not encounter misleading information from people leaving speculation or arm-chair theories.

This is a NAND SSD combined with another solid-state storage media that is intended for acceleration of the storage process onto that NAND portion of the SSD stick, and the two function on the same stick in tandem through port-bifurcation. It does not interact with any other storage hardware but itself. It is Intel hardware that was sold primary with OEM hardware, especially gaming laptops, starting around 2020 or so.

It turns out to be very temperamental hardware, and difficult to fix on your own especially if your OEM happens to limit your available options for control within your BIOS, which might help to address some issues with port bifurcation and resetting the Optane storage media portion, or changing it's AHCI configuration.

Myself, I acquired a 2022 HP Omen laptop with this exact model and encountered this issue as well. It failed during transition from windows 10 to windows 11 - where the most likely issue was that there were not adequate or accurate drivers included for this niche hardware to maintain port bifurcation across the transition. I could see that the SSD was beginning to show signs of corruption during the installation, with screen tearing, programs dragging to a crawl (on an SSD and also modern hardware specs) and afterwards boot up times that would take sometimes 5-10 minutes where as before it would nearly be instant.

Over a year and a half later, contacting both HP and Intel, and still no solution to get this SSD working again. They both seemed to not even understand how this hardware worked in it's niche ways within the OEM hardware, and I had to explain port-bifurcation to them, if I was merely talking to the average customer service rep and even after reaching someone in HP's and Intel's tech & hardware department, we were both working from the same limited amount of niche information. HP has not released any BIOS updates or drivers to help address this specific hardware failure, so there are beginning to be many like myself cropping up in isolated cases on forums and the like trying to figure this out.

I've since installed a new SSD which is only storage media. Removal of the intel Optane ssd resulted in speeding up my boot time to be nearly instant again. I suspect that much of the information to allow the port bifurcation to work properly is stored within the 32gb solid state portion and if that gets corrupt it blocks the storage portion from being detected in a sort of loop that the motherboard and OEM drivers have to spend time searching empty space before giving up. Hopefully this helps give someone some clarity. I'd say start from scratch on a new affordable SSD if you can. Hang onto the Intel SSD in the meantime until a solution becomes available, if you have data on it - since technically the NAND storage is completely functional but is now just locked away like some sort of mystical black box.

Here's some pages I've found that could be useful for shedding some light for a fix, despite being from a different OEM.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000060010/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/PCIe-Intel-Optane-Memory-Memory-H10-with-SSD-won-t-recognise/td-p/8303595

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c06983517