Spin 713 (CP713-2W-5874) not turning on or charging

shortteach2
shortteach2 Member Posts: 2 New User
This just happened today. It was charging fine up until now. Is there a way that this can be fixed? I have loved using my Spin 713 and am already passed my warranty. I really do not want to but a new one. Please help if you can. Thanks!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,688 Trailblazer
    This just happened today. It was charging fine up until now. Is there a way that this can be fixed? I have loved using my Spin 713 and am already passed my warranty. I really do not want to but a new one. Please help if you can. Thanks!
    The first thing I would do is to open the back cover and take the main battery out and disconnect the RTC bios battery (see captions below) and leave both batteries out for 5min, reconnect both batteries and try to see if the laptop powers on?

If it doesn't then and unfortunately it could be that your "Power button" is damaged and needs fixing as its broken but, this switch is part of the mainboard and its not a part that you can just take out and replace as it needs fixing by an experienced technician that has proper micro soldering and appropriate tools to fix these micro parts or replace the switch. As and if this power switch button and its circuitry is shorted or broken it will stop your laptops charging and it will not allow the laptops "Power indicator or Battery indicator lights" to appear and it will be dead like your laptop is. As power on issues can be complex like with a burned out super IO, bios chip, as mosat, a capacitor a fuse and any part of the internal power circuitries that can cause a dead laptop. 

Main Battery disconnection 

RTC BIOS Battery position and disconnection 

• shortteach2
    shortteach2 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks!  Hopeful that it will solve the problem. 
  • landavid009
    landavid009 Member Posts: 1 New User
    StevenGen said:
    The first thing I would do is to open the back cover and take the main battery out and disconnect the RTC bios battery (see captions below) and leave both batteries out for 5min, reconnect both batteries and try to see if the laptop powers on?

If it doesn't then and unfortunately it could be that your "Power button" is damaged and needs fixing as its broken but, this switch is part of the mainboard and its not a part that you can just take out and replace as it needs fixing by an experienced technician that has proper micro soldering and appropriate tools to fix these micro parts or replace the switch. As and if this power switch button and its circuitry is shorted or broken it will stop your laptops charging and it will not allow the laptops "Power indicator or Battery indicator lights or auto clicker" to appear and it will be dead like your laptop is. As power on issues can be complex like with a burned out super IO, bios chip, as mosat, a capacitor a fuse and any part of the internal power circuitries that can cause a dead laptop. 

Main Battery disconnection 

RTC BIOS Battery position and disconnection 

OK, your CP713-2W-393J uses the USB-C port for charging from a 45W supply and specs say either side will work. Do both sides act the same? If not we might be looking at a hardware issue with one of those ports. If they both act the same then try plugging a different device in, like a flash drive, to see if they are working as a USB port. I don't know of any ChromeOS issues that could affect the charging, normally when we see something like this it's the charger itself that's at fault. Your model doesn't have a power indicator but it doesn't have the battery indicator light on or next to the power button. It should be lit amber when the charger is plugged in and lit blue when fully charged. If it's amber and flashing that's an indication of a detected issue with the battery. There is a cable that runs between the motherboard and a daughter card on the right side, but if it were having issues I'd expect all ports on that side to act up.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    BTW, one side has the USB-C soldered directly to the MB, the other has a daughter card with cable. So if it's working on the MB side and not on the other is could be the cable or the daughter board.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Chromebookman1148
    Chromebookman1148 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thank you StevenGen: I was not aware of the RTC Bios Battery Disconnect-Reconnect together with the Main Battery Sequence. I have just been doing the Main battery disconnect, followed by connecting the power cable, then reconnecting the battery, then disconnecting the cable power supply. As long as I don't let the New OEM battery run down it seems to work. Although, I keep the back cover secured without using the screws in case I have to repeat. I admit it's risky to do what I have been doing. Acer wants $489 to assess the "repair"! I will follow up with your instructions & report back.    
  • jameslucas
    jameslucas Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited November 2022

The most likely reason is that the battery of your Chromebook is dead and needs a charge. op auto clicker It's also possible that your battery has failed and needs a replacement. You may have a faulty charging adapter as well, which could be keeping your Chromebook from charging.