Swift sf114-32no bootable device detected-InsydeH20 Setup Utility showing no boot options/

pb123
pb123 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited July 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
Hey everyone!

My 3 yr old Acer Swift sf114-32 suddenly stopped working today-displaying no bootable device. I have gone into the Insyde H20 Setup Utility in the boot tab, there are no boot options (see photo). So none of the youtube clips that advise to press F9->F10, or add a boot option work. 

Does this mean there is likely a faulty/broken data cable to the hardrive? If so, is this something I could repair myself?

Thanks in advance!
Phoebe

( edited the title to add the model name )

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK, the drive is a Kingston RBU-SNS8180S3/128GJ, which is a 128GB SATA drive in the 2280 M.2 form factor. The good news is that is easily replaced and not too expensive. As Jack suggests it's worthwhile before buying a replacement drive to verify the issue isn't just the M.2 socket getting some corrosion on the pins. With the system down as you have it in the pictures just remove that screw and remove/reinsert the drive a couple of times then put the screw back in. If it still doesn't come up then it's time for a new drive. Pick another SATA either 128GB or better yet larger, that fits your budget of course. Also make sure you have a USB flash drive handy, you are going to want to use it to create a Windows install disk so you can get the OS back on.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Sorry, that image is too blurry. Please post another phone image of the BIOS INFORMATION tab, not the BIOS boot tab.

Jack E/NJ

• You have to check if the ssd and hdd are showing up in the bios info tab, as jacke informed:
    JackE said:
    Sorry, that image is too blurry. Please post another phone image of the BIOS INFORMATION tab, not the BIOS boot tab.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    @pb123

Please go to Information tab on Bios 

check the info on the right side of hdd0 model name,   hdd0 serial No,
    check the info on the right side of hdd1 model name,   hdd0 serial No,

If you are able to see none then it means hdd is not detected on the computer. 

Hddo model name : None 
    Hdd0 serial no : None 
    Hdd1 model name : None 
    Hdd1 serial no : None 

If you are able to see the hdd name then it means hdd is detected on the computer. 

If the hdd is not detected then it means hdd is not communicating with the motherboard and it will not load the windows.    We might have to reseat the hdd or there might be loose cable connection between internal components present inside the computer. 

If the hdd is getting detected on Bios.. 

Let us do the basic steps first..

Doing the power drain and bios defaults will really help.  Kindly follow the steps given below:

Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices or any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, you can find a  pin hole. It is a tiny hole. You can a find a battery symbol indicator next to the hole. It is like a + and – sign symbol as though somebody is trying to shift the battery out. Insert the pin on to the hole for 30 seconds. Remove the pin. Flip the laptop. Connect the charger cable, turn on the computer.  Only on laptops where the battery is inbuilt you can find the battery reset hole on the back of laptop.

If you don’t find a pin hole on the back of laptop then you might be using removable battery. There is no need to unscrew anything to remove the battery.  Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices and any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, please look at the top or bottom depending on the way you look at it. You can find a long door. It is a battery removable door.  Just below that you can find a latch.  If you move the latch you can remove the battery door. Once the battery is removed, flip the laptop. Open the top cover, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Connect the battery back on the back of computer. Connect the charger cable back and then turn on the computer. 

If you don’t see a reset pin hole on the back of laptop or if you are not able to remove the battery (if it is inbuilt) then please unplug all the cables and devices out of laptop.   Hold the power button for 1 minute.  After releasing the button you should wait a while before plugging in power. Just because the button has been pressed doesn’t bleed off all the residual electricity on the motherboard. Wait 15-30 minutes before plugging in power. Then once power is connected wait for a full battery indication before turning the system on. That allows the battery to fully reset it’s internal statistics.

Connect all the cables back and restart the computer.  

Try to check whether you are able to do the bios defaults now. 

While turning on the computer, tap f2. It will go to bios. Press f9 once. It will show load bios defaults with a yes or no popup. Press enter. Popup screen will disappear.  Press f10 once. It will show save changes popup with yes or no. Press enter. Computer will restart and it will load into windows.   

It should work fine.. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• pb123

Tinkerer

edited July 2022
    The hdd is not being detected

[Thread was edited to hide sensitive information]
  • pb123

Tinkerer

@pb123

Please go to Information tab on Bios 

check the info on the right side of hdd0 model name,   hdd0 serial No,
    check the info on the right side of hdd1 model name,   hdd0 serial No,

If you are able to see none then it means hdd is not detected on the computer. 

Hddo model name : None 
    Hdd0 serial no : None 
    Hdd1 model name : None 
    Hdd1 serial no : None 

If you are able to see the hdd name then it means hdd is detected on the computer. 

If the hdd is not detected then it means hdd is not communicating with the motherboard and it will not load the windows.    We might have to reseat the hdd or there might be loose cable connection between internal components present inside the computer. 

If the hdd is getting detected on Bios.. 

Let us do the basic steps first..

Doing the power drain and bios defaults will really help.  Kindly follow the steps given below:

Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices or any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, you can find a  pin hole. It is a tiny hole. You can a find a battery symbol indicator next to the hole. It is like a + and – sign symbol as though somebody is trying to shift the battery out. Insert the pin on to the hole for 30 seconds. Remove the pin. Flip the laptop. Connect the charger cable, turn on the computer.  Only on laptops where the battery is inbuilt you can find the battery reset hole on the back of laptop.

If you don’t find a pin hole on the back of laptop then you might be using removable battery. There is no need to unscrew anything to remove the battery.  Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices and any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, please look at the top or bottom depending on the way you look at it. You can find a long door. It is a battery removable door.  Just below that you can find a latch.  If you move the latch you can remove the battery door. Once the battery is removed, flip the laptop. Open the top cover, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Connect the battery back on the back of computer. Connect the charger cable back and then turn on the computer. 

If you don’t see a reset pin hole on the back of laptop or if you are not able to remove the battery (if it is inbuilt) then please unplug all the cables and devices out of laptop.   Hold the power button for 1 minute.  After releasing the button you should wait a while before plugging in power. Just because the button has been pressed doesn’t bleed off all the residual electricity on the motherboard. Wait 15-30 minutes before plugging in power. Then once power is connected wait for a full battery indication before turning the system on. That allows the battery to fully reset it’s internal statistics.

Connect all the cables back and restart the computer.  

Try to check whether you are able to do the bios defaults now. 

While turning on the computer, tap f2. It will go to bios. Press f9 once. It will show load bios defaults with a yes or no popup. Press enter. Popup screen will disappear.  Press f10 once. It will show save changes popup with yes or no. Press enter. Computer will restart and it will load into windows.   

It should work fine.. 

Sorry I accidentally solved the Q, which it is not. The hdd is not showing up in the info tab. 
    “We might have to reseat the hdd or there might be loose cable connection between internal components present inside the computer. “
    - is this something I could do at home? If so how?

thanks so much for your response 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    pb123 said
    Sorry I accidentally solved the Q, which it is not. The hdd is not showing up in the info tab. 
    “We might have to reseat the hdd or there might be loose cable connection between internal components present inside the computer. “
    - is this something I could do at home? If so how?

thanks so much for your response 
    Your Swift SF114-32 has no connecting cables for a SATA like 2.5" HDD or SSD type drive as its only got provisions for an M.2 type Gen 3 x2 drive (see captions below) so its either the M.2 pins or motherboard plug that are dirty with corrosion and need cleaning or you have a faulty M.2 drive that needs replacing. As an M.2 drive not showing up in bios means that its either a connection problem or a faulty drive. Try to put another M.2 drive and see if your laptop recognizes the drive? If its not the M.2 drive, then you have M.2/plug connection issues that need to be diagnosed by a technician.

M.2 drive position in your laptop

M.2 type drives suitable for your laptop and fitted OEM by Acer. Btw, the capacities below can be higher e.g. 512GB, 1TB etc as Acer fits these capacities only due to and to save on costs.

• billsey
    Some of these were shipped with 64GB eMMC drives soldered to the MB and the SG doesn't make it clear of the M.2 slot was populated on all SKUs...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • pb123

Tinkerer

firstly, thanks so so much for your help. i really appreciate it.

so i opened it up to have a look. see photos for the hdd. the pins looked fine but obviously my eye is very untrained!

no visible signs of corrosion. 
  • pb123

Tinkerer

what i did find was damage to the middle/left top of the computer, seen in the photos. could this be something?

cheers.
  • JackE
    Sorry, those photos are much too small and low resolution to determine if they're the cause.
    (1) I suggest that you disconnect the battery connector to the mainboard.
    (2) Then remove the screw from the top of the m.2 SSD card. The card will pop up at about a 45 degree angle.
    (3) Then pull the card out and gently rub the gold colored contacts with a soft cloth on both sides.
    (4) Then re-insert it the the same angle and press it down flat with your finger. Then release it. Repeat this a few times to also help clean the wire contacts inside the socket.
    (5) Then re-insert the hold down screw.
    (6) Then Re-connect the battery to the mainboard.
    (7) Then re-assemble the bottom cover. Plug the charger back in

Then turn it back on an immediately tap F2 to reenter the BIOS menu. Does the SSD now show up in the BIOS INFORMATION tab?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    OK, the drive is a Kingston RBU-SNS8180S3/128GJ, which is a 128GB SATA drive in the 2280 M.2 form factor. The good news is that is easily replaced and not too expensive. As Jack suggests it's worthwhile before buying a replacement drive to verify the issue isn't just the M.2 socket getting some corrosion on the pins. With the system down as you have it in the pictures just remove that screw and remove/reinsert the drive a couple of times then put the screw back in. If it still doesn't come up then it's time for a new drive. Pick another SATA either 128GB or better yet larger, that fits your budget of course. Also make sure you have a USB flash drive handy, you are going to want to use it to create a Windows install disk so you can get the OS back on.
  • pb123

Tinkerer

I cleaned the sdd but still had same issue. So I bought a new SSD 240gb. Put it in. Installed windows on usb. and booted it up. NOW ITS WORKING!

And luckily I had backed up my computer not too long ago!

thank you all so much. i could not have done it without you.
  • JackE
    Congratulations. Thanks for reporting back on your success! :)

Jack E/NJ

• pb123

Tinkerer

hi, me again.

so my laptop is acting up again with the new SSD. I am able to turn it on/use it for a period of time before it freezes, shuts down, then displays the no bootable device screen again. I am able to reboot it by going into the BIOS, pressing F9, yes, then F10, yes. However, once turned on again it will freeze again soon.

It is in ACHI mode, and i have also tried SSD freezing fix by checking the 4K alignment through the Mini Tool Partition wizard. 

im guessing this is a hardware issue with the connection from the SSD to the motherboard??

any advice very welcome.

thanks. 
  • JackE
    If weather has been humid, simply re-seat the SSD connector to the mainboard a few times to help clean the contacts. Unplug charger and  disconnect battery pack if possible before doing this.

Jack E/NJ

• You said there was a faulty component on the motherboard. Can you send a picture of this component?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)