There is an error in SMART detection Acer aspire TC 885 UA91

Helenejg
Helenejg Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
I have an Acer aspire TC 885 UA91 that is getting the message “there is an error in SMART detection.” I am thinking I may need to replace the sdd, but I don't want to take the computer apart until I have a new drive. Wondering if I need 2.5 or 3.5” drive? Also, is this the correct action to solve this error? If so, how do I get my info off the old drive? I only have options to look at bios or put in a boot disk. Of course, I don't have one. Thanks, I appreciate any help.

( edited  the title to add the model name )

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Your Aspire TC-885 has an NVMe SSD installed in it's M.2 slot, so you will want a replacement that matches that. Size doesn't matter except it's easier to migrate to the same size or larger than to a smaller drive. You want your drive to be PCIe 3.0 x4 in order to get the best speed from it. Don't pay extra for a PCIe 4.0 drive because it will run at the 3.0 speeds, though it will function fine at those slower speeds. Also get an external NVMe case, either USB 3.0 or USB-C, you will use that to do the cloning. Once you have the parts ready put the new drive into the external case and plug it into the computer. It should not show up in File Explorer and that's OK. In Disk Management you should see the drive and it should be uninitialized with no partitions.
    Now, you will want to clone the failing drive to the new one using software like Macrium Reflect (there are lots of apps that do this, MR is only the one I used last). Clone the drive and only have it adjust partition sizes for the C: drive, have it leave the rest alone. If the SMART error are due to read failures it might take longer than normal to clone, or it might fail entirely. If it fails you will need to reinstall Windows from scratch but I expect it will clone fine. When the clone process is complete shut the computer down and open it up to remove the old drive. The drive is mounted to the motherboard in front of the big power connector and SATA ports:

As shown, remove the screw and the SSD will spring up a bit. Pull it out, plug the new one in and replace the screw. Reconnect anything you had to remove to get access to the SSD and button it up, then turn it on. You should be good to go.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon
    Look at this thread for further information and what to do.
  • Helenejg
    Thank you. Guess I need to change the sdd drive. I don't have an hdd, so still don't know how to get the info off my drive. 
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    jacke shows a cable adapter adapter that you can use or another computer or wait to you get the new SSD and install Windows from a USB, per https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d
  • Larryodie
    I might add that depends on the problem with the SSD, you may or may not recover your old files ?
  • Helenejg
    Thank you, I am definitely going to try this. I am not young or knowledgeable, but I want to give it a whirl. I don't live near a computer repair, so this is my best option.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Your Aspire TC-885 has an NVMe SSD installed in it's M.2 slot, so you will want a replacement that matches that. Size doesn't matter except it's easier to migrate to the same size or larger than to a smaller drive. You want your drive to be PCIe 3.0 x4 in order to get the best speed from it. Don't pay extra for a PCIe 4.0 drive because it will run at the 3.0 speeds, though it will function fine at those slower speeds. Also get an external NVMe case, either USB 3.0 or USB-C, you will use that to do the cloning. Once you have the parts ready put the new drive into the external case and plug it into the computer. It should not show up in File Explorer and that's OK. In Disk Management you should see the drive and it should be uninitialized with no partitions.
    Now, you will want to clone the failing drive to the new one using software like Macrium Reflect (there are lots of apps that do this, MR is only the one I used last). Clone the drive and only have it adjust partition sizes for the C: drive, have it leave the rest alone. If the SMART error are due to read failures it might take longer than normal to clone, or it might fail entirely. If it fails you will need to reinstall Windows from scratch but I expect it will clone fine. When the clone process is complete shut the computer down and open it up to remove the old drive. The drive is mounted to the motherboard in front of the big power connector and SATA ports:

As shown, remove the screw and the SSD will spring up a bit. Pull it out, plug the new one in and replace the screw. Reconnect anything you had to remove to get access to the SSD and button it up, then turn it on. You should be good to go.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Helenejg
    Billsey and Larryodie and wascas, Thank you for the help. I have ordered the sdd and case. They will be here next Thursday, so I will report back and maybe even have a question or two. Whew, this is a big undertaking for me, but don't want a new computer right now.
  • Helenejg
    Billsey, I’ve got a question already. What do I download the cloning app to? My computer only opens to the error screen.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Helenejg

Having the same TC-885-UA91, I am worrying the stock WD SN 520 PCIe 3.0 x2 drive will fail in just  2-3 years. Have you ever backup your PC with a system image? If so, you are in luck, just restore system image from Restore Menu when hold dowm ALT key and keep tapping F10 when bootup.

After replacing with a new NVME SSD , after doing ALT+F10 to reach the Restore menu, Troubleshoot> Reset this PC see if this will work but I doubt it because the drive failed.

Since you cannot boot the PC now to download the cloning software, the best bet is do a clean install of Win10 /Win 11 by downloading from the Microsoft web site to create a bootable flash drive from another PC and use this flash drive to install Win10 /Win 11 to the new NVMe SSD.

It is always a good pratice to do system image backup or data backup, preferably using an USB external HDD/SSD. Don't think you can recover your data if the drive failed, unless you pay a high price for professional recovery service. When the PC is up and running again with the new drive, I'll try to buy an external NVME SSD adapter and put the old drive there and just HOPE that this old drive can be read by the system. The chance is slim, just as last resort.
  • ttttt
    @Helenejg

Don't forget to get a heat sink for the new NVMe SSD.
  • billsey
    If you can't get past the error screen into the OS then the drive has likely failed too far for it to finish the boot. Use a different computer to download Windows from the Microsoft site and create an install image using that on a flash drive. I typically use Rufus to create the flash drive, but the Windows Media Creator from Microsoft works well if you are doing a one off like this. I don't think the cloning apps typically come in stand alone bootable images, though some might, but if it won't boot on the old drive you likely don't want to clone it. Do the clean install from the flash drive to the new SSD, then connect the old SSD to the computer using the external case and see how much of your data is still readable, copying it off to the new drive. You are likely looking at the contents of the Users\<username>\Documents, Music, Videos etc. folders. You can most likely ignore the rest.
  • Helenejg
    @ttttt
    I do not have a system image, but will know better from now on. I'm almost 80, so how many more times can this happen to me. 🥹 I don't know what a heat sink is. I will Google it.
  • Helenejg
    @billsey
    this is what I will try. I can use my husbands computer to download windows and then proceed from there. I am hoping I can save a few things, but if not I will just start over.
  • billsey
    With the external case for your old drive you should be able to recover anything that is recoverable... If files are corrupted due to the drive failure they will likely be internal system stuff, not user data, since that's what is accessed the most.
  • ttttt
    @Helenejg

Heatsinks come in different design.

This one using copper should provide very good temperature cooling:
    https://www.amazon.com/JEYI-Copper-HeatSink-Passive-Heatsinks/dp/B09C6HCVLT/ref=sr_1_4?crid=24SNV04JI713B&amp;keywords=copper+nvme+heatsink&amp;qid=1658696138&amp;s=electronics&amp;sprefix=copper+nvme+heatsink,electronics,159&amp;sr=1-4

The following is a two-in-one set, the one piece set using silicone bands to hold the heatsink is the easiest to apply, while the other set may need some assembling. Choose either one that you are comfortable with.

https://www.amazon.com/ELUTENG-Heatsink-Double-Sided-Aluminum-Conductivity/dp/B07PS9S2DZ/ref=sr_1_56?crid=24SNV04JI713B&amp;keywords=copper+nvme+heatsink&amp;qid=1658696237&amp;s=electronics&amp;sprefix=copper+nvme+heatsink,electronics,159&amp;sr=1-56

I hope what @Billsey just said is correct and with this "Last Resort" you can recover the data through the external adapter.

• Helenejg
    @ttttt
    thank you for the links. I think I definitely need easy.
  • Helenejg
    @billsey
    that is encouraging. My so. Wants me to buy a new computer. What fun is that?
  • ttttt
    @Helenjg

If it was my PC, I won't get a new PC just because of a failed SSD. Maybe he wants a new PC, ha ha !
  • Larryodie
    I wonder if you have tried removing and cleaning the pins. Reseating the SSD ? 
  • Larryodie
    I'd also unplug everything and unplug the bios battery and let sit for a couple of hours or more. 
    Honestly I've never heard of a bad SSD ?