Connect Amazon Fire TV dongle to H6502BD projector

sk007
sk007 Member Posts: 7 New User
Hi, 
It seems that Google doesn't have an answer to the question - how to connect the dongle inside the body of the projector? There's an HDMI port there where the dongle seems to fit but there's no mini-USB power source there. Some pictures show this: 

So, where do I get that cable?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    It might help if you could reveal the Amazon Fire you got. There are different models. Perhaps an Amazon link would be useful.

Jack E/NJ

• sk007
    Thanks for your reply JackE! Here's the dongle:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079QHML21/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has to be powered through a micro-USB connection which is missing in my projector. 
  • JackE
    >>>It has to be powered through a micro-USB connection which is missing in my projector. >>>

Yes but the projector should have a mini-USB port. Accordingly, you need an inexpensive miniUSB male to microUSB  female adapter. Less than $10.

Jack E/NJ

• sk007
    On the outside panel of the projector there is a mini USB port but it does not provide a power supply. So that option will not work - tried it already though. My question was about the inner side of the projector where there's a special enclosure for an HDMI dongle. 
  • JackE
    The MiniUSB port should indeed provide power if the power requirements aren't too great. How much power or volt-amps does it require? The HDMI outputs are also limited as to how much power they can deliver.

Jack E/NJ

• sk007
    Thanks JackE! I had researched different sources and not of them suggested that the mini USB port provide AC power. However I went ahead and ordered a micro-mini USB cable, which expectedly didn't work, so that not an option.
    Next, I found there's was an enclosure under the top cover where my dongle should fit, and the user's manual says that a mini USB is an option, so my problem is that I couldn't make sense of the mini USB option on to how I can get it. 
  • JackE
    The USB ports generally only supply  low voltage 5volts DC, not AC. The projector's own power supply should have two low voltage 12volt & 3volt outlets but still DC, not AC. It also has much higher DC capabilities but much highter than any dongle can possibly use. I guess I'm really not sure what the Amazon Fire dongle actually requires. AC? DC? Low voltage? Did the outfit come with any kind of specification or requirement sheet?

Jack E/NJ

• sk007
    On the picture I initially posted there's a red circle highliting the area that concerns me. I do not have that micro USB cable there under the projector's cover. The question was more to why it's not there and how can I get it there.  
  • JackE
    edited July 2022
    >>>I do not have that micro USB cable there under the projector's cover.>>>

I think the problem is that the picture you initially posted is for a related model like the H6525BD. Acer users manuals often describe more than one closely related models. The H6502BD only has the miniUSB port. It should not have an active internal USB port that, for example, the H6525BD  model has.

Can you post a phone photo of your projector's internals like the picture you initially posted. I think the port that the microUSB cable is connected to is a dummy port or non-active port in the H6502BD model, but an active port in the H6525BD model.

Jack E/NJ

• sk007
    Thanks JackE! Yes, this is exactly the case. Looks like some models of the projector have that cable attached by default, and mine doesn't. To me, it's a weird situation - there's a spot for it but it's not there. Actual picture attached for your reference. 
  • JackE
    That's because the same plastic molds & cases are used for different models. Production cost savings. But sorry, your H6502BC model does not support this cable because there is no cable connector on the circuit board, just an empty solder pad and dummy slot. You could however use a separate microUSB PSU. They're incredibly cheap. I got one for free with a magazine subscription. Some cellphones use the same microUSB PSU.

Jack E/NJ

• sk007
    Thanks JackE. I was just hoping to connect the dongle in a concealed way, so now I am going to plug it in the back of the projector's body and connect to a separate power supply - which I wanted to avoid, but looks like that's the way to go :)  
  • JackE
    Sorry. But it seems like the only way. Good luck.

Jack E/NJ