eMachine EL1352G-41W: Processor upgrades and FireWire PCI card

Uriel7
Uriel7 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited June 2021 in Legacy Desktops
Hello to all!!!
im new here and know very little about computers so forgive what might seem entry level questions. 
I have a EL1352G-41w emachine I’d like to upgrade the processor without changing the motherboard. Duo core or quad core. What processors can I use for this upgrade? And is it plug and play? Or do I also need to update the bios??

second question 
I have a FireWire audio interface that I’d love to use. Macs had it built in. What PCI card can I use to run FireWire on this same computer?
thAnk you 

[Thread edited title to add the product name]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Your computer is old enough that we don't seem to have access to a service guide any longer. It came with Windows 7 originally and uses an AMD processor. You have to discover which generation the processor is to try and find a different one that's compatible, only other processors from the same era will work. You will get a much larger performance bump by swapping out your old HDD with a new SSD if you haven't already done that. The CPU upgrade is liable to be a minimal improvement.
    A Firewire interface requires an addon card that is at least PCIe x4, again we'll need to find the specs before we know what slots you have. Typically a machine that age will have one PCIe x16 slot earmarked for a GPU, and one or more additional slots that are typically x1. Your model number looks like it already has a card in the GPU slot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Urie17

I do not recommend upgrading such an old E-machine. I believe it uses AMD Sempron processor. You are still stuck with hardware and performance of that era. The performance is no match to modern day machines (other than what @Billsey suggested upgrading to 2.5" SSD for performance boost, still that is no match to modern day Gen 3 and gen 4 M.2 NVMe SSD).

Modern day entry level PCs are around USD $450. If you must have FireWire audio interface, then get a Firewire PCIe card for that. Your E-machine already has such a longevity, you will not know when it will fail after all that upgrades you have done to it. Trust me, you will be happy with a new machine's performance as long as you don't use old style spinning HDD and third party anti-virus software or hitting the memory limit.
  • RBThompson
    RBThompson Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have an EL1352 and am still getting usage out of it in 2022. it is upgraded as follows: AMD Phenom ii x4 955, 16 gb RAM (2 8gb sticks- not kidding), GT1030 gpu.   I would also recommend an SSD. For me it made sense to make the upgrades because i like the look and size of the EL1352 and it was a fun project.