How good a computer is the Acer Aspire XC-1660G-UA93

mandawg
mandawg Member Posts: 23 Networker
How Long Term reliable is the Acer Aspire XC-1660G-UA93 desktop computer. After having just bought this Acer Aspire XC-830-UW91 I really want a far more robust computer; So my sights are now set on the 1660G that indeed has a onboard power supply or as some would know it more by as a propitiatory power supply unlike this pin plug in on the XC-830::  I know the specs shows it has an i3 10400 processor @ 3.7ghz and has two slots of "real" ram  <3 desktop ram not laptop as this XC-830 has. So those of you who own one of the 1660G give me your thoughts and ideas of the desktop.

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    mandawg said:
    How Long Term reliable is the Acer Aspire XC-1660G-UA93 desktop computer. After having just bought this Acer Aspire XC-830-UW91 I really want a far more robust computer; So my sights are now set on the 1660G that indeed has a onboard power supply or as some would know it more by as a propitiatory power supply unlike this pin plug in on the XC-830::  I know the specs shows it has an i3 10400 processor @ 3.7ghz and has two slots of "real" ram  <3 desktop ram not laptop as this XC-830 has. So those of you who own one of the 1660G give me your thoughts and ideas of the desktop.
    What do you want to use your desktop for and what is your max budget? As those are very important factors that you should consider always before you purchase a new PC. As your XC-830-UW91 comes with a Celeron J4125 that has the UHD Graphics 600OEM, DDR4 8GB ram, 256GB SSD and a pretty ordinary 65W proprietary PSU that is adequate for what this desktop was designed for and that's it.

While t
    he XC-1660G-UA93 desktop that has an I5-11400 cpu with the UHD Graphics 730 which is not much better, it has 8GB DDR 4 ram and a 512GB SSD and 300W PSU that has more potential to be upgraded to a lower end editing, gaming PC. with its OEM 300W PSU that you can upgrade to the best gpu of the likes of a GTX-1050Ti 4GB.

But and also and if you want to do any upgrades and spend more money? You can do an upgraded of the OEM 300W PSU to an Acer 500W proprietary PSU that will be a simple swap and fit (if you can get one?) or you can look for a third party ATX supply (that are available with up to 1500W PSU) that is a single rail for the +12V and enough power on that rail to be better than the 300W supplied with the stock PSU, then buy or make an adapter cable from the PSU's 24 pin connector to a 6 pin that will fit the XC-1660G-UA93 mobo power plug. You can also upgrade the ram to a max total of 32GB (2x16GB DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Non-ECC DIMM) type ram as it also has the i5-11400 that is an excellent performing cpu and you can also add a dedicated gpu (if you upgrade the PSU) to a 16 or a 20 or even a 30 series gpu (but first measure your internal spaces to which gpu will fit?) into its 1x PCIe x16 Slot to suit whatever PSU you get? Those are your options if you want to go and invest on top of what the XC-1660G-UA93 costs and you have the budget? Good luck and hope this helps you out. 
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    What applications, games will you be using ?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    One nit to pick: propitiatory power supply isn't really correct. The ATX12VO standard (Advanced Technology eXtended 12-Volt Only) has been around for a few years now and any machine that meets Intel's EVO standards have them. The initial 12VO spec (1.0) is from 2019 but it looks like they just introduced version 2.0 which should be in next years models. The big difference that I see is the ATX12VO 2.0 spec allows for larger supplies with connectors that have more pins than 1.0 had. If you are going to want a system with more than the 500W maximum for ATX12VO 1.0 then you will want to wait for the new motherboards next year. My guess is though since you are looking at lower end machines like the XC line that shouldn't be a big consideration.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @mandawg

I want to add some info here. As your Aspire-XC-830-UW91 shipped with a 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD (don't know if it is a x2 with 1,700 MB/s read or x4 with 3,400 MB/s read, you can run cpu-z or Crystal Disk Info programs or check the BIOS to get the SSD model number to find that out without opening the PC to view it) the speed should not be slow for daily usages. Unluckily, your PC has a Celeron CPU, which is one of the lowest class CPUs in the market nowadays.

Do you mean XC-1660G-UW93 instead of UA93? As far as I know, only the UW93 of the XC-1660G series has the i5-11400 CPU.

If you want something has robust CPU and more future proof, here is something you can consider:
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-TC-1760-UA92-i5-12400-Processor-Bluetooth/dp/B09V1LKTPH

It has a 14% faster CPU than the i5-11400 of the XC-1660G-UA93 (or should be UW93), because it is one generation more advance.

I have a desktop usig 11th gen Intel CPU and PCIe 4.0 motherboard. Acer is special, still using PCIe 3.0 motherboard for 11th gen CPU, such as that of XC-1660G-UW93 using i5-11400 CPU. Currently, I am still trying to find out if this TC-1760-UA92 still using PCIe 3.0 motherboard or PCIe 4.0 as it should be with a 12th generation CPU. Maybe @billsey or other Aces in this community can find out something from the service manual and confirm that. If it is PCI 4.0, it has double the speed of PCIe 3.0 and people can use PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD with doubled speed of PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. This TC-1760 is just so new, not much info so far.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    mandawg said:
    What do you want to use your desktop for and what is your max budget? As those are very important factors that you should consider always before you purchase a new PC. As your XC-830-UW91 comes with a Celeron J4125 that has the UHD Graphics 600OEM, DDR4 8GB ram, 256GB SSD and a pretty ordinary 65W proprietary PSU that is adequate for what this desktop was designed for and that's it.

While t
    he XC-1660G-UA93 desktop that has an I5-11400 cpu with the UHD Graphics 730 which is not much better, it has 8GB DDR 4 ram and a 512GB SSD and 300W PSU that has more potential to be upgraded to a lower end editing, gaming PC. with its OEM 300W PSU that you can upgrade to the best gpu of the likes of a GTX-1050Ti 4GB.

But and also and if you want to do any upgrades and spend more money? You can do an upgraded of the OEM 300W PSU to an Acer 500W proprietary PSU that will be a simple swap and fit (if you can get one?) or you can look for a third party ATX supply (that are available with up to 1500W PSU) that is a single rail for the +12V and enough power on that rail to be better than the 300W supplied with the stock PSU, then buy or make an adapter cable from the PSU's 24 pin connector to a 6 pin that will fit the XC-1660G-UA93 mobo power plug. You can also upgrade the ram to a max total of 32GB (2x16GB DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Non-ECC DIMM) type ram as it also has the i5-11400 that is an excellent performing cpu and you can also add a dedicated gpu (if you upgrade the PSU) to a 16 or a 20 or even a 30 series gpu (but first measure your internal spaces to which gpu will fit?) into its 1x PCIe x16 Slot to suit whatever PSU you get? Those are your options if you want to go and invest on top of what the XC-1660G-UA93 costs and you have the budget? Good luck and hope this helps you out. 
  • Larryodie
    Answer ✓
    What applications, games will you be using ?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    One nit to pick: propitiatory power supply isn't really correct. The ATX12VO standard (Advanced Technology eXtended 12-Volt Only) has been around for a few years now and any machine that meets Intel's EVO standards have them. The initial 12VO spec (1.0) is from 2019 but it looks like they just introduced version 2.0 which should be in next years models. The big difference that I see is the ATX12VO 2.0 spec allows for larger supplies with connectors that have more pins than 1.0 had. If you are going to want a system with more than the 500W maximum for ATX12VO 1.0 then you will want to wait for the new motherboards next year. My guess is though since you are looking at lower end machines like the XC line that shouldn't be a big consideration.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mandawg
    @Larryodie Just the normal everyday use:: Maybe some pluto tv streaming each day:: Not a gamer so that part of the equation is not involved. But I truly want a better cpu than this current Acer has of the J4125 @ 2.0ghz is indeed my main reason to buy the 1660G and get at least the i3 processor @ a much better processor rate of speed.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @mandawg

I want to add some info here. As your Aspire-XC-830-UW91 shipped with a 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD (don't know if it is a x2 with 1,700 MB/s read or x4 with 3,400 MB/s read, you can run cpu-z or Crystal Disk Info programs or check the BIOS to get the SSD model number to find that out without opening the PC to view it) the speed should not be slow for daily usages. Unluckily, your PC has a Celeron CPU, which is one of the lowest class CPUs in the market nowadays.

Do you mean XC-1660G-UW93 instead of UA93? As far as I know, only the UW93 of the XC-1660G series has the i5-11400 CPU.

If you want something has robust CPU and more future proof, here is something you can consider:
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-TC-1760-UA92-i5-12400-Processor-Bluetooth/dp/B09V1LKTPH

It has a 14% faster CPU than the i5-11400 of the XC-1660G-UA93 (or should be UW93), because it is one generation more advance.

I have a desktop usig 11th gen Intel CPU and PCIe 4.0 motherboard. Acer is special, still using PCIe 3.0 motherboard for 11th gen CPU, such as that of XC-1660G-UW93 using i5-11400 CPU. Currently, I am still trying to find out if this TC-1760-UA92 still using PCIe 3.0 motherboard or PCIe 4.0 as it should be with a 12th generation CPU. Maybe @billsey or other Aces in this community can find out something from the service manual and confirm that. If it is PCI 4.0, it has double the speed of PCIe 3.0 and people can use PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD with doubled speed of PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. This TC-1760 is just so new, not much info so far.

• billsey
    edited June 2022
    They did finally get us access to the service guide. The Block Diagram shows the PCH-H chip is an H610, which has PCI Express Revision 3.0, so the M.2 slot is x4 3.0. The PCIe x16 slot is directly off the Alder Lake S CPU and is version 4.0.
  • mandawg
    @billsey and @Larryodie the 1660G is indeed a UW93 I made a typo error on it.
  • ttttt
    @Billsey,

Thanks for your info. Now I know the TC-1760 uses PCIe 3.0 motherboard, but most likely people can use PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD with an adapter to the x16 slot ( not the M.2 slot) to get 7,000 MB/s read.
  • billsey
    Possibly, but be aware that PCIe adapters typically have to have boot ROMs in order for the drives to be bootable. That raises the cost somewhat...
  • ttttt
    @billsey

As far as I know, almost all PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 4.0 x16 slots will support booting nowadays. Also, almost all M.2 adapters for x16 slots are passive type, and will support the PCIe x16 speed of the motherboard automatically.

I am one of those using the M.2 adapters and the x16 slots to boot different OS all the time. The x16 slot is just like a USB port to me with frequent plugging and unplugging.
  • Larryodie
    I'm not sure that you need to change anything for your purposes just keep it clean of virus and spam.  Use a a cheaper Roku or Fire Tablet for your TV viewing.

• mandawg

Larryodie thank you so much for your comments and everyone else as well who helped me in my choices for a far better Acer Aspire computer:: I did in fact buy an Acer Aspire XC-1660G-UW93 I believe it is:: I absolutely love it!!! With the i3 10500 3.7ghz 8 core processor and I put 32gb ram in it:: 630 graphics:: That computer is absolutely 4x what that first 4125 processor piece of trotline weight is lol:: Everything is bam bam bam lightning fast! Now in that I will say that I am not a gamer unless you consider Windows Solitaire collection a full blown game :) :: I do like stream watching Westerns on both Roku and PlutoTv. the new one absolutely does that flawlessly without one single bit of lag at all. I will close in saying this:: Since buying this newest one of which it all was due to the upcoming win10 death day, that I started even buying these much newer computers. That said this newest XC1660G will indeed be the ones I buy and use! Good bye J4125 Acer as I throw it out the door and go smash it with my 20lb sledge hammer! 😂