Predator Helios 300 PH315-52 Constant Freezing/Blue Screen Crashes

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,466 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK. I suspect the problem is related to the Samsung drive operating in iRST with optane SATA mode. Might've worked OK in Win10 but apparently not well in Win11. Probably should be changed to the standard, more reliable AHCI mode but there is some risk in losing data if not done correctly.

You have 3 choices.
    (1) Live with the intermittent freezing until future MicrosoftWin11 and AcerWin11 and Intel boot mode updates hopefully fix the problem --- a good possibility but hard to predict when
    (2) Back up your personal information and perform an ACER OEM factory Win10 system reset from the hidden Acer recovery partition. This should return the system to a factory fresh Win10 system state as when you first acquired the machine.This is a long process since all the Win10 updates would then have to be re-applied up to and including the latest Win10 updates
    (3) Change the Samsung from iRST with optane to AHCI mode operation in Win11. This has to be carefully done via Win11 SafeBoot mode to try to avoid corrupting the drive.

If it was mine, I'd probably go for #3 as it's probably the quickest way to try to resolve the issue. Furthermore, AHCI mode seems to have less sensitivity to major operating system changes. But it's not mine. So you have to make the decision and we can help walk you thru whichever you want to do. 

Jack E/NJ

• JasperA
    JasperA Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    OK. I suspect the problem is related to the Samsung drive operating in iRST with optane SATA mode. Might've worked OK in Win10 but apparently not well in Win11. Probably should be changed to the standard, more reliable AHCI mode but there is some risk in losing data if not done correctly.

You have 3 choices.
    (1) Live with the intermittent freezing until future MicrosoftWin11 and AcerWin11 and Intel boot mode updates hopefully fix the problem --- a good possibility but hard to predict when
    (2) Back up your personal information and perform an ACER OEM factory Win10 system reset from the hidden Acer recovery partition. This should return the system to a factory fresh Win10 system state as when you first acquired the machine.This is a long process since all the Win10 updates would then have to be re-applied up to and including the latest Win10 updates
    (3) Change the Samsung from iRST with optane to AHCI mode operation in Win11. This has to be carefully done via Win11 SafeBoot mode to try to avoid corrupting the drive.

If it was mine, I'd probably go for #3 as it's probably the quickest way to try to resolve the issue. Furthermore, AHCI mode seems to have less sensitivity to major operating system changes. But it's not mine. So you have to make the decision and we can help walk you thru whichever you want to do. 

Alright, thank you. I'll explore those options. Appreciate all the help!
  • TopHat17
    TopHat17 Member Posts: 8 New User
    JackE said:

You have 3 choices.

Hi, I have the same problem as the user. Regarding your recommended solution of #3.

Can you elaborate on or point me in the direction of instructions of how to do such a thing? Since you said "corrupting the drive", is this something that I should just not do because I don't want a high possibility of bricking my laptop because it's generally vital for my work and personal life.
  • JackE

Basically you start out by making sure Windows is set to boot into Safe Mode only.  Then you enter the BIOS menu by tapping F2 on startup. Some of the newer BIOS you have to press Ctrl+S in the BIOS MAIN tab to reveal  a VMD contoller option and change it to disabled. F10 to save settings and exit to boot into Safe Mode again. This should automatically install the AHCI  sata mode driver. Then you can change Windows  back from safe boot to normal boot. Changing from iRST or VMD sata mode to AHCI also carries a risk of losing access to or disabling the hidden ACER factory reset partition.

Jack E/NJ

• TopHat17
    JackE said:

Basically you start out by making sure Windows is set to boot into Safe Mode only.  Then you enter the BIOS menu by tapping F2 on startup. Some of the newer BIOS you have to press Ctrl+S in the BIOS MAIN tab to reveal  a VMD contoller option and change it to disabled. F10 to save settings and exit to boot into Safe Mode again. This should automatically install the AHCI  sata mode driver. Then you can change Windows  back from safe boot to normal boot. Changing from iRST or VMD sata mode to AHCI also carries a risk of losing access to or disabling the hidden ACER factory reset partition.
    When I went into BIOs after setting into Safe Boot only, I didn't have a VMD controller option. I was hitting Crtl+S and it didn't do it anything.

I however had the certain options that seemed to connect to the topic, which are attached via some pictures I took of my monitor. I noticed the SATA Mode option if I select it gave me 3 options which involved talking about RST and AHCI which sounds like what you were talking about. I didn't change anything yet though because wanted to double check with you first.

Should I swap it to AHCI then boot into safe mode like that?

I have the same laptop model (315-52) in this thread, though my BIOs is currently at the latest available via the Acer Drivers (v1.12) which I updated in an earlier vain attempt to try and solve this problem, though that caused a separate issue making all my CPU cores running at max turbo power mode (and making my idle CPU temps skyrocket from 48-55 to 55-70, and I had to search for another solution which involved setting Max Processor Power load to 99% which fixed that.

• TopHat17
    JackE said:

When I went into BIOs after setting into Safe Boot only, I didn't have a VMD controller option. I was hitting Crtl+S and it didn't do it anything.

I however had the certain options that seemed to connect to the topic, which are attached via some pictures I took of my monitor. I noticed the SATA Mode option if I select it gave me 3 options which involved talking about RST and AHCI which sounds like what you were talking about. I didn't change anything yet though because wanted to double check with you first.

Should I swap it to AHCI then boot into safe mode like that?

I have the same laptop model (315-52) in this thread, though my BIOs is currently at the latest available via the Acer Drivers (v1.12) which I updated in an earlier vain attempt to try and solve this problem, though that caused a separate issue making all my CPU cores running at max turbo power mode (and making my idle CPU temps skyrocket from 48-55 to 55-70, and I had to search for another solution which involved setting Max Processor Power load to 99% which fixed that.

• JackE
    >>>Should I swap it to AHCI then boot into safe mode like that?>>>

Yes but make absolutely sure that it boots only into safe mode after making and saving the change to AHCI sata mode..

Jack E/NJ

• TopHat17
    JackE said:
    >>>Should I swap it to AHCI then boot into safe mode like that?>>>

Yes but make absolutely sure that it boots only into safe mode after making and saving the change to AHCI sata mode..
    Thanks for the instructions. I successfully changed it to AHCI, but the BSODs persisted for me. I'll have to look into another possible solution.
  • JackE
    If you're trying to run Win11, you may want to sit tight and live with it until future MicrosoftWin11 and AcerWin11 and Intel boot mode updates hopefully fix the problem. Win11 still is NOT ready for prime time despite the hype.

Jack E/NJ

• RajasBhide
    RajasBhide Member Posts: 1 New User
    JasperA said:
    I've had a Predator Helios 300 (model PH315-52) for about two years, and recently it's been crashing and freezing a lot. It seems to crash regardless of which software/game is open at the time, and sometimes happens as often as every few minutes. Occasionally, it'll say "No Bootable Device" and force me to force restart multiple times. I don't use the overclocking feature either, if that's relevant. I've had the operating system reinstalled twice, and it hasn't resolved the issue.

Unfortunately, the blue screen only flashes for a second so I don't have the error codes. I'm looking for any advice that may help, or point me in the direction of a fix. I'm also wondering if it'd be worth taking the laptop to be taken apart and examined for loose or damaged components.

Please let me know if there is additional information that I can provide. Thank you.
    I have the EXACT SAME model and it started happening EXACTLY at the same time. It's been happening for about 15-20 days. 

I have not found any solution yet and it's very weird that same laptop models started crashing at almost exactly same time!!
  • JackE
    If you're trying to run Win11, you may want to sit tight and live with it until future MicrosoftWin11 and AcerWin11 and Intel boot mode updates hopefully fix the problem. Win11 still is NOT ready for prime time despite the hype.

Jack E/NJ

• Ragnar30
    Ragnar30 Member Posts: 2 New User

Have anyone found a solution?

I'm still running Win 10 and experiencing same BSOD every time I try to play games.

any solutions?

• JackE

Probably overheating. What's the CPU & GPU temperatures in PredatorSense immediately after you load a game?

Jack E/NJ

• skilkkin19
    skilkkin19 Member Posts: 1 New User

So am I! I'll keep that in mind the next time I get a no bootable device error, though.

Commercial windows Spokane