Predator Helios PH517-52 with powergem repair?

Mikelmouse
Mikelmouse Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
My Predator Helios PH517-52 (Intel i9 11th gen with "Powergem") died after 6 months, and went off last week to "Currys" in the UK for repair under warranty. Had a phone call from their technician this morning who explained mainboard mosfet had died, so new mainboard ordered and fitted... BUT when I asked about "PowerGem" had no idea, saying nothing came with the replacement board.

Is the "PowerGem" bonded to the CPU on new board or is it a separate part they needed to order but haven't?

Have I the right to insist "PowerGem" included in the repair?

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    Acer PowerGem is just a fancy name for an improved proprietary CPU/GPU heat sink cooling system. It's completely separate from the mainboard. The heatsink and thermal module are already inside your laptop and not being replaced or eliminated. They'll sit atop the CPU and GPU chips on the new mainboard to help cool them.  The new mainboard will essentially be cooled with the same PowerGem thermal module that's in there now. It'll be fine. https://www.engadget.com/2019-09-04-acer-predator-powergem-reveal.html

Jack E/NJ

• Mikelmouse
    Answer ✓
    Well folks, got my laptop back from Currrys after seven weeks, and found out they'd done a brilliant job, machine running several degrees centigrade cooler than when it was bought new. Lower temps are throughout chassis not just CPU and GPU. I did replace the factory heatsink copper plate with two individual chunky heatsinks on the NVME SSD's and they run 17-20 degrees C running Windows/Internet and max out 40 degrees C under benchmarking. No throttling there.

Had an email exchange with repairs manager at Currys who explained they'd exchanged mainboard (blown mosfet) in first couple of days, but replacement died very quickly, due to a faulty, not dead, fan. The rest of delay was not second replacement board, but having to swap out entire cooling system (vapour chamber and fans) and wait for those parts from Acer, who in turn had to order in from supplier. Wouldn't talk about "Powergem".

Basically got a new machine in my not so old chassis, worth the wait I hope.  

Answers

• JackE
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    Acer PowerGem is just a fancy name for an improved proprietary CPU/GPU heat sink cooling system. It's completely separate from the mainboard. The heatsink and thermal module are already inside your laptop and not being replaced or eliminated. They'll sit atop the CPU and GPU chips on the new mainboard to help cool them.  The new mainboard will essentially be cooled with the same PowerGem thermal module that's in there now. It'll be fine. https://www.engadget.com/2019-09-04-acer-predator-powergem-reveal.html

Jack E/NJ

• exmeaguy
    exmeaguy Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

OP, if you received your laptop back, how are the temps?  Any more info on how the PowerGem was installed?
  • Mikelmouse
    exmeaguy said:
    OP, if you received your laptop back, how are the temps?  Any more info on how the PowerGem was installed?
    Still at Currys repair centre "working hard to source major part". No further detail available. Been 4 weeks now!  :'(
  • JackE
    Mainboards, especially for newer models, often take up to 4 weeks delivery since they're usually not warehoused on the Isles

Jack E/NJ

• Mikelmouse
    JackE said:
    Mainboards, especially for newer models, often take up to 4 weeks delivery since they're usually not warehoused on the Isles
    Thanks JackE, best put my patient head back on  o:)
  • JackE
    Curry's seems to have a good service reputation. Probably doing the best they can with distributors of not so good reputations. I'd probably cut them a fair amount slack on this because they're more influential with distributors than I'd be.

Jack E/NJ

• Mikelmouse
    Answer ✓
    Well folks, got my laptop back from Currrys after seven weeks, and found out they'd done a brilliant job, machine running several degrees centigrade cooler than when it was bought new. Lower temps are throughout chassis not just CPU and GPU. I did replace the factory heatsink copper plate with two individual chunky heatsinks on the NVME SSD's and they run 17-20 degrees C running Windows/Internet and max out 40 degrees C under benchmarking. No throttling there.

Had an email exchange with repairs manager at Currys who explained they'd exchanged mainboard (blown mosfet) in first couple of days, but replacement died very quickly, due to a faulty, not dead, fan. The rest of delay was not second replacement board, but having to swap out entire cooling system (vapour chamber and fans) and wait for those parts from Acer, who in turn had to order in from supplier. Wouldn't talk about "Powergem".

Basically got a new machine in my not so old chassis, worth the wait I hope.  
  • JackE
    Congratulations! Thanks for your report. Curry's good reputation continues. :)

Jack E/NJ

• exmeaguy

Tinkerer

So what is the magic they performed for the cooler CPU temps?  Also, can you post the new heatsinks that you used for the SSDs?
  • Mikelmouse

I apologise for not replying to your request sooner. The heatsinks were these, both purchased Amazon. Both take a double sided SSD and cool same amount, but the "Be Quiet" one is a tighter squeeze and I couldn't fit two in, so would recommend two of the others, which are cheaper anyway.

• Mikelmouse

Link indeed missing,

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08YRSZPH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09KNC737D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• exmeaguy

Tinkerer

Thanks for the links. I went with this one. It did not provide much benefit by only lowering by 7F degrees. A got a cooling pad and that has made things much cooler around 145F under normal load and up to 168F when gaming.