How do I use my all-in-one pc as a monitor? Aspire C24-1651

Mike_Laine
Mike_Laine Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I recently bought an all-in-one pc (Acer Aspire C24-1651 / Intel Core; i7-1165G7 / Graphic Card; IrisXe).

Behind the computer there is an HDMI OUT and an HDMI IN (that is one of the main reason I bought this all-in-one pc, because there is an HDMI IN also.

I was able to connect my pc to a second screen when plug-in an HDMI cable into the HDMI OUT.

However, I was unable to use my all-in-on pc as a monitor by connecting it to my business laptop via an HDMI cable into the HDMI IN. When I connect it, my business laptop detects the second screen, but nothing changes on my all-in-one pc.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    @SOUTHONBELLE

After 1 ACER agent, 1 trip to the ACER repair shop, 2 more ACER agents telling to send the computer back to the repair shop, I asked to talk to a supervisor and suddenly, they were able to access my computer. Finally, after 3 hours of conversations and waiting in line today I have a good answer. They told me that the HDMI-In is for the console (like Xbox One) so I can play my console on the computer but that it cannot work as a second screen to another computer. I've tried to connect my Xbox One in the HDMI-In port and it works (the OSD menu also works when the Xbox One was connected to the AIO).

Since february 13th 2022, I've spent more then 7 hours on that problem with 3 different ACER agents but none of them was competent enough to tell me this simple reason; Sir, the HDMI-In are for console-only, not for plugging in other computers. Which would have saved me a lot of headaches, shipping [my computer could have been damage in shipping], waiting and time.

Long story short: HDMI-In of my All-in-One works with consoles, not with other computers.
  • SOUTHONBELLE
    SOUTHONBELLE Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I have an answer!! I've managed to sort my Aspire C24 1651 - I'm not an IT tech, but I purchased a new HDMI cable (snowkids HDMI 8k, from amazon to be exact) and as soon as I put the cable from the laptop into the HDMI IN port it instantly  worked and the previously 'greyed' out HDMI icon on the OSD menu came alive!! I also pressed FN F5 as I have read that works to activate the HDMI port (I have no idea if that worked or not, but gave it a go anyway).

And now I can use my all in one as a second screen for my laptop!

I too had spent a long time going back wards and forwards with 'IT' tech guys, only to solve the problem myself!! 

So, no an HDMI IN port is not soley for consoles!! That is total rubbish!!

Think I may look at getting a job in IT instead of HR!! 

Hope this helps!

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder
    @Mike_Laine try to turn off the OS in the AIO or put it into sleep. Or find a button to switch the input to the HDMI In.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

Hi @AnhEZ28,

I try what you said and nothing worked. Also, there is no switch on the computer except the On-Off.

Other suggestions ?
  • Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

Hi @AnhEZ28,

I just find a switch that makes appear 4 icons;

Computer screen with an arrow pointing from the computer outward,
    HDMI port,
    Sun
    Exit.

But for some reason, I can't choose anything other than the exit (I try holding the button, pressing it multiple times).

Any suggestions ?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    I don't believe the C24-1651 models have an HDMI-In port, the HDMI is for output to a second monitor.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

@billsey, like I said in my first comment, there is an HDMI-OUT and an HDMI-IN. It is written right next to the HDMI port.
  • Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

Just to clarify my previous post; there is 2 HDMI ports behind the computer; next to one is written HDMI IN, next to the other is written HDMI OUT.
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder
    @Mike_Laine try to plug a mouse to that AIO and control that arrow.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28, already try that. My arrow passes through the icons. I tried the arrows of my keyboard when the icons appear but it doesn't work. I also try touching the icon with my fingers (touch screen) but still, nothing.
  • billsey
    If there is an HDMI-In port there should be a button that toggle the input. I don't have access to the service guide yet, it's too new of a design. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SOUTHONBELLE

Tinkerer

I'm having the exact same issue. I purposely bought the Aspire C24 (Core i7) as it was advertised as you could use it to be a second monitor for a work laptop. However I'm having the same issue. The PC has both and HDMI IN and an HDMI OUT port. I originally attached my work laptop to a standard ACER monitor with no issues (so I know the issues are from the PC side of things). Surely if the PC is advertised as being able to do this...it should!! Ive tried the On screen display switch and all icons are greyed out. There has to be something! I'm desperate because if this doesn't work I've wasted a lot of money as I just don't have the space for a work laptop and monitor and a PC! :-(
  • billsey
    I answered your other thread...
  • Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    @SOUTHONBELLE

After 1 ACER agent, 1 trip to the ACER repair shop, 2 more ACER agents telling to send the computer back to the repair shop, I asked to talk to a supervisor and suddenly, they were able to access my computer. Finally, after 3 hours of conversations and waiting in line today I have a good answer. They told me that the HDMI-In is for the console (like Xbox One) so I can play my console on the computer but that it cannot work as a second screen to another computer. I've tried to connect my Xbox One in the HDMI-In port and it works (the OSD menu also works when the Xbox One was connected to the AIO).

Since february 13th 2022, I've spent more then 7 hours on that problem with 3 different ACER agents but none of them was competent enough to tell me this simple reason; Sir, the HDMI-In are for console-only, not for plugging in other computers. Which would have saved me a lot of headaches, shipping [my computer could have been damage in shipping], waiting and time.

Long story short: HDMI-In of my All-in-One works with consoles, not with other computers.
  • SOUTHONBELLE

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I have an answer!! I've managed to sort my Aspire C24 1651 - I'm not an IT tech, but I purchased a new HDMI cable (snowkids HDMI 8k, from amazon to be exact) and as soon as I put the cable from the laptop into the HDMI IN port it instantly  worked and the previously 'greyed' out HDMI icon on the OSD menu came alive!! I also pressed FN F5 as I have read that works to activate the HDMI port (I have no idea if that worked or not, but gave it a go anyway).

And now I can use my all in one as a second screen for my laptop!

I too had spent a long time going back wards and forwards with 'IT' tech guys, only to solve the problem myself!! 

So, no an HDMI IN port is not soley for consoles!! That is total rubbish!!

Think I may look at getting a job in IT instead of HR!! 

Hope this helps!
  • billsey
    Fn-F5 (or Windows-P) just lets you choose how you want the OS to handle multiple displays...
  • TOASTIEE
    TOASTIEE Member Posts: 1 New User

Do this in sequence if you're trying to use C24-1651 as pure monitor to another laptop:

1) Ensure nothing is plugged into your HDMI IN/HDMI OUT

2) Shutdown your PC and make sure the system is Off (make sure ON/OFF light goes off)

3) Now plug in your HDMI cable into "HDMI IN" (with other side of cable in the laptop youre trying to project)

4) Now press the ON/OFF button (situated in center) to turn C24-1651 on, then quickly press the physical Options button to the right (the triple line button to the right of the ON/OFF button; to the right of the SD card reader). You should now see OSD menu and the HDMI logo that is otherwise normally greyed out, being active. The screen should also show a "HDMI; No signal" message or something like this on screen

5) Now on your laptop, press whichever button it is to project your laptop screen (Duplicate/Extend up to you)

6) Your C24-1651 should now work as a pure monitor!

It worked for me after 3 tries, but i suspect that my HDMI cable itself is slightly wonky. But othewise, i didnt have to press anything else on C24-1651 , fn F5 or what not!

Was looking to project my husband's Dell laptop and found this thread useful to a small extent so decided to create an account just to share the full solution that worked for my 6mo Acer C24-1651. Cheers!