windows 7 computer will not boot up

wotnoscraps
wotnoscraps Member Posts: 5 New User

I turned laptop off last time from screen where you can switch user. Never done it this way before.

Now I try to turn computer on and although it appears to be alive, I have nothing on screen and cannot hear the little jingle that accompanies windows coming on either.

Have tried several times turning off and back on but just keep encountering the same issue. Any ideas please?

It's an Aspire 8942G on Windows 7.

Answers

• Inspiration101
    Inspiration101 Member Posts: 185 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Power on the notebook.  When the first Acer screen disappears tap f8 key lots of times which will boot to a menu option screen, choose SAFE MODE.  Let it boot to the login screen (which you should now be able to see).  Reboot your computer.

That should do the trick.

• wotnoscraps

Thanks for the advice but I have nothing on screen at all so how would I know when to press the f8 key?

I did just try it blind, but after quite a few presses I heard the beginnings of the jingle and then nothing.

• Inspiration101

So at no point at all do you get a display of any sort from powering on your notebook ?

I would plug it into an external display, be it a monitor or television.  Then see what results I got.

I presume you have tried pressing the FN + F6 key to see if the panel is just deactivated.

• wotnoscraps

That's right I have nothing on screen at all.

Have nothing here to plug it into a tv - we're away from home for at least a week.

No hadn't tried Fn and F6 as not at all computer savvy - as you can no doubt tell!

I have to say that I'm not entirely convinced that even the fan is coming on either, getting quite worried now that it might be a serious/expensive to fix problem. OH is convinced it's the hard drive.

• Inspiration101

I am sorry to hear that, this is sounding like very bad luck.

The last thing you can try is to unplug the power adapter and remove the battery.  Press the power button several times - This will ensure there is no power at all in your system, some people call it a static discharge.

Now try powering up your computer again.

If after all of the above you get no display at all then you will need to get a more advanced computer user to have a look at it - And plug it into an external display device.

Best of luck !

• wotnoscraps

OK Tried that and no improvement. When you say it's sounding bad luck are you thinking possibly hard drive, virus, screen?

• Inspiration101

You get no display at all but you have heard the jingle sound of windows starting up.

Ideally we want to plug it into an external display.  That is the first step.  I am thinking screen issue, but could be as simple as powering on with an external display, go into BIOS by pressing F2, loading default settings, save & exit.

Not virus and not HDD.  That I would put money on Smiley Happy

• wotnoscraps

OK Thank you so much for making the time to help me today.

As I said earlier, no way to get to more help for at least a week, so will keep everything crossed once have access to stuff back home.

Will let you know the outcome. Thanks again.

• Inspiration101

You are welcome, good luck and be sure to enjoy your holiday ! Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.