Predator Orion 7000 po7-640 SSD caddy opening

Answers

• Do not try other procedures. I asked moderators about how to disassemble HDD MODULE!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Rob_Lansdown
    Rob_Lansdown Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    @AnhEZ28RenanVilela@egydiocoelho

OK Solved it!

Looks like I was being too gentle with it!

The solution is to remove the two screws and pull the tray out of the caddy from the opposite end to the USB-C port - it takes a tug as it is a tight fit.

Sadly, the case itself is a bit crappy as the SSD rattles around inside it and there is no method of securing it.

Fortunately, despite mullering this read/write LED by thinking it was an ejector hole, it still works - What a crappy thing it is though -But still it will be handy.

Thanks all for your help - no thanks to ACER support who still have not phoned me back!!
  • RenanVilela
    RenanVilela ACE Posts: 13,561 Trailblazer
    I'm glad you solved it.

I already suspected it might be something like that, seen by the plastic part where the usb-c connector is smaller in relation to the cover.

Another alternative, I believe, would be to hold the case and press close to the connector.

As you said, there is no protection for the SSD to stay stable, it would be good if there was some other support to fix it.

Acer Predator Helios 300 Core i7 9750H
    Sodimm DDR4 2666MHz 16 GB Sk Hynx
    Sodimm DDR4 2666MHz 16GB Crucial
    SSD 512GB Sandisk Plus
    SSD M2 Nvme 512GB XPG GAMMIX S11 Lite
    SSD M2 Sata3 128GB WD
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    -->>  Dicas para amenizar a temperatura durante Jogos — Acer Community  <<--
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Se a minha resposta te ajudou, curta o comentário e fortaleça com o Sim se possível!!

• Rob_Lansdown
    @AnhEZ28  Tried that thanks, nothing budges when you undo them - it looks like the other end is supposed to come off, but there seems no way to remove it - there are spring clips on either side at the rear, but they to not release anything either - Thanks for your help though
  • Rob_Lansdown
    Hi, apparently there is some connector inside that opening, I think there should be on the other side as well, and by pressing both, that piece should come out to access the internal contents.

RenanVilela - I have tried those before, but there is no movement on them whatsoever.  There is also a locking mechanism in the caddy bay that locks into these notches, so I do not think that is it I am afraid, but thanks for the thought (unless I am being a bit limp wristed with them of course!).  Rob

• Rob_Lansdown
    Can you upload some photos from other angles, from that device?

egydiocoelho

• Rob_Lansdown

egydiocoelho

• I have a question: was there an ssd installed in that caddy (hdd module) or not?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Rob_Lansdown
    Is there any extra storage that is listed in the Disc Manager?
    This adapter apparently already comes with an ssd inside.
    @RenanVilela

No it comes empty - see posts
  • I'm glad you solved the issue.

I already suspected that it could be that way, because the plastic part where the connector is, is smaller than the cover.

I believe that an alternative would be to hold the cover and press forward on the plastic part where the connector is located.

As you said, there is no protection for the SSD to stay stable, it would be good if there was some other support to fix it.

SSD is lighter than a hard drive. I believe that the ssd will not move inside the hdd module.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• RenanVilela
    RenanVilela ACE Posts: 13,561 Trailblazer
    I'm glad you solved the issue.

I already suspected that it could be that way, because the plastic part where the connector is, is smaller than the cover.

I believe that an alternative would be to hold the cover and press forward on the plastic part where the connector is located.

SSD is lighter than a hard drive. I believe that the ssd will not move inside the hdd module.
    Yes, I agree.

But in my opinion it could have some more support to fix it better.
    Acer Predator Helios 300 Core i7 9750H
    Sodimm DDR4 2666MHz 16 GB Sk Hynx
    Sodimm DDR4 2666MHz 16GB Crucial
    SSD 512GB Sandisk Plus
    SSD M2 Nvme 512GB XPG GAMMIX S11 Lite
    SSD M2 Sata3 128GB WD
    -->>  Dicas para amenizar a temperatura durante Jogos — Acer Community  <<--

Se a minha resposta te ajudou, curta o comentário e fortaleça com o Sim se possível!!

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,771 Pathfinder
    edited May 2022
    @Rob_Lansdown darn it. I am so sorry for giving such bad advice. Not sure if you can know anyone that do well in soldering back the led. It is really bad that the user manual doesn't mention this.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Rob_Lansdown
    Do not try other procedures. I asked moderators about how to disassemble HDD MODULE!

@e@egydiocoelho

It was the SSD caddy not the HDD module - I have got it open and installed a drive, working fine now. Thanks

• Rob_Lansdown
    AnhEZ28 said:
    @Rob_Lansdown darn it. I am so sorry for giving such bad advice. Not sure if you can anyone that do well in soldering back the led. It is really bad that the user manual doesn't mention this.
    @AnhEZ28

No problem, it still works fine and the led is only an indicator of what the pc is already telling me, so don't worry about it. 

Thanks for your help. 

Rob 
  • AnhEZ28 said:
    @Rob_Lansdown darn it. I am so sorry for giving such bad advice. Not sure if you can anyone that do well in soldering back the led. It is really bad that the user manual doesn't mention this.
    @AnhEZ28

No problem, it still works fine and the led is only an indicator of what the pc is already telling me, so don't worry about it. 

Thanks for your help. 

Rob 
    Acer has to include the caddy disassembly procedure (in the service guide it is referred to as HDD MODULE) in the user manual.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Rob_Lansdown
    AnhEZ28 said:
    @AnhEZ28

Thanks for your help. 

Rob 
    Acer has to include the caddy disassembly procedure (in the service guide it is referred to as HDD MODULE) in the user manual.

Actually it calls it a hard swap caddy, but that is just the flimsy thing they call a manual. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited May 2022
    You are right. These are different nomenclatures for the same device:

Did you install other hard drives in the other bays as well?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    There are four screw holes in the bottom of the drive tray to hold the drive in place. With a 2.5" drive instead of a 3.5" you would use an adapter that will line up with those holes.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rob_Lansdown
    billsey said:
    There are four screw holes in the bottom of the drive tray to hold the drive in place. With a 2.5" drive instead of a 3.5" you would use an adapter that will line up with those holes.
    You are talking about the HDD bay, this is a post about the SSD caddy, which could not fit a 3.5" if you folded it in half 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The picture of the caddy opened up distinctly shows the four screw holes. If the caddy is designed only for a 2.5" drive then no adapter is needed, just four screws.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.