Hi, I have a problem with my computer. Both my mouse and keyboard don't work. Aspire XC 885

2»

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Yep, Larry's link should get you a good install image on a thumb drive. Be aware that everything on the thumb drive will be wiped first, so if there is anything on it that's important copy it off first, or grab a new thumb drive. The 16GB versions are really cheap...
    Enter the BIOS and go to the Security tab and disable Secure Boot, then to the Boot Options tab and enable the Boot Menu. Plug your install thumb drive into a USB port then save and exit the BIOS. As the system begins to come up, hit the F12 key a bunch of times just like you did with the Del key to enter the BIOS. That will give you the boot menu and you can select the thumb drive as your boot source. When it comes up select Install, then Repair on the second page. In repair mode we are going to want to get to the command prompt so wander around until you find it.
    From that command prompt we are going to try to see if SFC (System File Checker) can repair the issue. But first we need to know where the system partition is. Type bcdedit at the command prompt and hit return. In the text that shows up you want to look for Windows Boot Loader, then in that section look at the device entry and it should give the correct partition, likely something like D :. Now look down to the entry for systemroot, it's likely something like \windows. Now at the command prompt type "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=<Windows_Drive_Letter>:\ /offwindir=<Windows_Drive_Letter>:<SystemRoot>", so that would likely be something like sfc /scannow /offbootdir=D:\ /offwindir=D:\windows. This will likely take some time, just let it go through until it finishes. When complete, power the machine down and boot into Windows normally to see if it's fixed. Come back and tell us the results. If it didn't work we'll go on to the next step.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    An ALT-F10 should get him to the same page as the USB Bootable. 
  • Larryodie
    I call it the SAFE MODE page where you can restore at an earlier point, go to the command prompt etc.
  • Heddu
    Heddu Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

Larryodie said:
    I call it the SAFE MODE page where you can restore at an earlier point, go to the command prompt etc.
    Is there a way to do this without installing windows 10? Did some research but didn't find anything, appreciate you guys help btw
  • Larryodie
    Boot using  , Holding ALT & tapping F10.
    Maybe hold FN, hold Alt & tapping F10

• Heddu

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Yep, Larry's link should get you a good install image on a thumb drive. Be aware that everything on the thumb drive will be wiped first, so if there is anything on it that's important copy it off first, or grab a new thumb drive. The 16GB versions are really cheap...
    Enter the BIOS and go to the Security tab and disable Secure Boot, then to the Boot Options tab and enable the Boot Menu. Plug your install thumb drive into a USB port then save and exit the BIOS. As the system begins to come up, hit the F12 key a bunch of times just like you did with the Del key to enter the BIOS. That will give you the boot menu and you can select the thumb drive as your boot source. When it comes up select Install, then Repair on the second page. In repair mode we are going to want to get to the command prompt so wander around until you find it.
    From that command prompt we are going to try to see if SFC (System File Checker) can repair the issue. But first we need to know where the system partition is. Type bcdedit at the command prompt and hit return. In the text that shows up you want to look for Windows Boot Loader, then in that section look at the device entry and it should give the correct partition, likely something like D :. Now look down to the entry for systemroot, it's likely something like \windows. Now at the command prompt type "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=<Windows_Drive_Letter>:\ /offwindir=<Windows_Drive_Letter>:<SystemRoot>", so that would likely be something like sfc /scannow /offbootdir=D:\ /offwindir=D:\windows. This will likely take some time, just let it go through until it finishes. When complete, power the machine down and boot into Windows normally to see if it's fixed. Come back and tell us the results. If it didn't work we'll go on to the next step.
    I think I'm gonna buy the 16 gig usb, but i was looking around there was an option to reset PC but keep my files, does it remove stuff. For example I've been working on 3d modelling, do I get to keep stuff like that if i reset using that option?
  • Larryodie
    edited May 2022
    I can't say anymore except their are lots of option within the ALT-F10 that will not reset or format you computer. 
    It will let you know with a warning if it is.
    Have you ever thought about putting the HD on another computer via USB & copy/clone  it to it's hard drive or external drive 
    You'll have to get the usb to sata adapters. Check Newegg 
  • Heddu

Tinkerer

edited May 2022
    Larryodie said:
    I can't say anymore except their are lots of option within the ALT-F10 that will not reset or format you computer. 
    It will let you know with a warning if it is.
    Have you ever thought about putting the HD on another computer via USB & copy/clone  it to it's hard drive or external drive 
    You'll have to get the usb to sata adapters. Check Newegg 
    It's my dad's computer and I'd rather not him knowing about this because he will never trust me with the computer again
    I have bought the USB drive and will try the long solution you guys gave me
  • Larryodie
    Good Luck, it should work ok. I would suggest to buy an external drive to back up your files and/or create a system repair DVD via backup.  

• billsey
    Let us know how well that works. It shouldn't affect any of your applications or data...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Heddu

Tinkerer

Larryodie said:
    Is this what I need to download on my thumb drive? Or can you send me a link to the image install?
  • Larryodie
    Yes Download the tool for win10 or win 11 per the instructions
  • Heddu

Tinkerer

Larryodie said:
    Yes Download the tool for win10 or win 11 per the instructions
    I don't know how to backup or copy over files as i can't get into the computer
  • Larryodie
    Read the instructions and create the disk on another computer then insert the USB in your computer. GO to bios and ENABLE  Boot in your BIOS. 
    Then reboot tapping the F12 key. It should show your USB. 

• Larryodie
    Answer ✓
    It can be another brand computer. I've created a boot disc on a Lenovo and repaired my ACER desktop.

• Heddu

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    I did everything you said but it didn't work, the weird thing was when I typed the stuff in the command prompt and pressed enter it finished in a second, maybe I missed something or did something wrong?
  • billsey
    Take a picture of the screen after typing in the command... same thing for the command that shows which device and systemroot is correct.