ConceptD SpatialLabs Edition - 3d Not Working CN715-73G-76E6T002 .

paulieweb2
paulieweb2 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited October 2022 in SpatialLabs
I recently purchased the ConceptD SpatialLabs model CN715-73G-76E6T002 . The SpatialLabs Experience Center / viewing anything in 3d is no longer working.

When I first got this computer, I had downloaded the most recent drivers/software from Acer site. Before installing, 3d viewing worked fine. After installing the drivers 3d viewing no longer worked. So I reinstalled the computer from recovery mode.

After reinstalling from recovery mode, 3d viewing worked fine again. And has been working fine for a few weeks now. But as I'm trying it today, it's not working anymore. Have restarted the computer and tried with no other apps open, can't get it to work. Same symptoms as mentioned above, the first time when I'd updated drivers manually:
  • Video Content - Loading up a video in VLC, go to fullscreen, the on-screen prompt for "Activate SpatialLabs Go - 2d or Side by Side" comes up. I click 2d or Side by Side as the case may be, but in either case -- 1 the tracking camera lights don't come on, 2 the fans don't spin up, 3 the content doesn't display in 3d (lenticular lens doesn't engage - can easily see when it does), 4 I have to hit Esc key twice to back out of fullscreen, indicating that it is at least attempting to run the Go app (normally would only hit Esc once to exit fullscreen)
  • Picture Content - Load up an image in Windows Photos app, go to full screen -- doesn't display the on-screen prompt for "Activate SpatialLabs Go - 2d or Side by Side" like it used to (or it does, but behind the fullscreen window), and if I hit ALT+G to display 2d content in 3d, it's the same 4 symptoms as described for video content above
  • 3d Model Content - Open Blender, click to View in SpatialLabs Model Viewer, and get the same symptoms as the other 2 above, but this time also a black screen and only shows the mouse cursor, have to use Task Manager to exit the SpatialLabs Model Viewer app
  • SpatialLabs Player - Open SpatialLabs Player app from SpatialLabs Experience Center, attempt to open a side-by-side video, just shows a light gray screen with circle-loading mouse cursor, even task manager won't show atop this, but the on-screen prompt for "Activate SpatialLabs Go - 2d or Side by Side" comes up. I click Side by Side, and the circle-loading mouse cursor continue for a few seconds before I get a Windows prompt that this app has crashed/stopped working, from which I can close it.
I've checked Device Manager, and am unable to roll back driver for SpatialLabs Tracking Camera, Intel HD Graphics, or NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU. So it doesn't seem like those drivers have been updated by Windows or anything. I do see one item at issue in Device Manager - USB Serial Device (COM3), Location = Port_#0007.Hub_#0002 -- this device is disabled, when I click to enable it tells me Windows successfully enabled this device, but then seconds later is disabled again. This device also shows no option to roll back driver, nor have I manually installed/updated any drivers.

I am running Windows 11 Pro with the Insider Program Beta Channel update track, Version = 22H2 , OS Build = 22621.1 , Experience = Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22632.1000.0 , installed on May 14. I don't know if this is possibly at issue? Also, just another thing to mention when I view MatterPort walkthroughs it spins up the fans heavily and mouse cursor keeps switching between regular and thinking endlessly until I exit the browser completely. Don't think it's the issue here, just another thing I noticed.

Can someone at Acer please assist me in trying to solve the problem here? I really don't want to reinstall from scratch again as it would be a fairly big headache at this point. Also I want to know what the actual issue is so it doesn't happen again even if I were to reinstall...

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• paulieweb2

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Seem to have got it working now.

1. Tried a roll back driver on device #4 mentioned above. Didn't do anything, so updated to current version again.
    2. Went to Windows Settings > System > Restore and chose the Go Back option, didn't seem to fix the issue.
    3. Went to Windows Settings > Windows Update > Uninstall Updates and uninstalled the update from 2022-05-14.
    4. Upon first restart, didn't seem to do anything. Restarted again, and lo and behold it works again!

Created a restore point, re-unenrolled from Windows Insider preview builds, and will hope I don't mess it up again.

Thanks for your help, Jack!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>>When I first got this computer, I had downloaded the most recent drivers/software from Acer site. Before installing, 3d viewing worked fine. >>>

Updates are primarily meant for fixing problems. What other problems were you trying to fix by updating drivers?

>>>>Windows 11 Pro with the Insider Program Beta Channel update track, Version = 22H2 , OS Build = 22621.1 , Experience = Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22632.1000.0 , installed on May 14. I don't know if this is possibly at issue?>>>

Likely.

>>>But as I'm trying it today, it's not working anymore. >>> really don't want to reinstall from scratch again as it would be a fairly big headache at this point.>>>

Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left  pane. If System Protection is turned on in the box that pops up, click System Restore button. Click next. Do you see a restore point with a date stamp about when you recall the last time it was working?

Jack E/NJ

• paulieweb2

Tinkerer

Hi Jack, thank you for your reply.

>>>> Updates are primarily meant for fixing problems. What other problems were you trying to fix by updating drivers?

I often install official drivers when I first get a computer, just assuming there might be updated drivers for better performance. But yeah I reinstalled from scratch after that. Only mention it now thinking maybe it's again a driver issue?

>>>> 
    Likely.

I've put myself on the unenrollment queue, so next Win 11 official release I will be out of the insider preview track. But not sure that would solve this issue.

>>>> 
    Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left  pane. If System Protection is turned on in the box that pops up, click System Restore button. Click next. Do you see a restore point with a date stamp about when you recall the last time it was working?

I've done so. Only one System Restore point was available, from May 18. And it didn't fix the problem I'm having.

Again, I prefer not to reinstall Windows if possible. If I end up needing to I will, as this issue disables the main reason I purchased this computer. But really I want to find out what the issue is so that I don't just run into it again later, even if I reinstall Windows this time. Not only that, but figure this thread may be helpful to other owners of this computer who may run into a similar issue in the future.

I'm still thinking it's a driver-related issue. Any tips on which device might be the culprit here? I can check through all of device manager to see if any have a roll back driver option, but not sure if that's comprehensive enough.
  • paulieweb2

Tinkerer

There is another issue maybe affecting things? As I'm in device manager, Cameras/SpatialLabs Tracking Camera is not enabled. I click to enable it and now it says enabled. But still have the issue mentioned above. I'm checking the Events tab for this device and see these mentioned:

1. 2022-05-14 11:25:43 Device install requested
      Device USB\VID_04F2&PID_B70C&MI_00\6&18588fc8&0&0000 requires further installation.
    2. 2022-05-14 11:25:44 Device install requested
      Device USB\VID_04F2&PID_B70C&MI_00\6&18588fc8&0&0000 requires further installation.
    3. 2022-05-14 11:26:06 Device settings migrated
      Device settings for USB\VID_04F2&PID_B70C&MI_00\6&18588fc8&0&0000 were migrated from previous OS installation.
      Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_04F2&PID_B70C&MI_00\6&18588fc8&0&0000
      Class Guid: {ca3e7ab9-b4c3-4ae6-8251-579ef933890f}
      Location Path:
      Migration Rank: 0x0
      Present: true
    4. 2022-05-14 11:26:06 Device configured (usbvideo.inf)
      Device USB\VID_04F2&PID_B70C&MI_00\6&18588fc8&0&0000 was configured.
      Driver Name: usbvideo.inf
      Driver Date: 06/21/2006
      Driver Version: 10.0.22621.1
      Driver Provider: Microsoft
      Driver Section: USBVideo.NT
      Driver Rank: 0xFF2005
      Matching Device Id: USB\Class_0e
      Outranked Drivers:
      Device Updated: false
      Parent Device: USB\VID_04F2&PID_B70C\5&9a3fed9&0&3
    5. 2022-05-14 11:26:06 Device not started (usbvideo)
      Device USB\VID_04F2&PID_B70C&MI_00\6&18588fc8&0&0000 had a problem starting.
      Driver Name: usbvideo.inf
      Service: usbvideo
      Lower Filters: WdmCompanionFilter
      Upper Filters:
      Problem: 0x0
      Problem Status: 0xC00000E5
  • JackE
    >>>I prefer not to reinstall Windows if possible. If I end up needing to I will, as this issue disables the main reason I purchased this computer. >>>

Do you have any non-Mic ro soft 3rd party virus scanners running in the background either from the ACER system bundle or that you installed? Uninstall, don't just disable them, as they can create device initialization issues. Windows Defender & MaliciousSoftwareRemoval tool are all most folks need.

You can try a factory system reset while trying to save your current personal settings. Then immediately turn on System Protection (usually disabled  by default) and increase the disk size allocated to the restore point app so more restore points are created. This is often the best way of tracking down which system, driver or app updates may be creating the issue.

Jack E/NJ

• paulieweb2

Tinkerer

No, I just do Windows Defender like you say. Will try a factory reset soon.

But first, there's a firmware update available: Insyde Software - Firmware - 5.43.1.2
    Worth trying this? Is it a reversible change?
  • paulieweb2

Tinkerer

Also found these 5 devices with the option to Roll Back Driver
    1. Intel(R) LPC Controller (HM570) - 438B
    2. Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #16 - 43B7
    3. Intel(R) PEG10 - 9A01
    4. Intel(R) Shared SRAM - 43EF
    5. Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller
  • paulieweb2

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Seem to have got it working now.

1. Tried a roll back driver on device #4 mentioned above. Didn't do anything, so updated to current version again.
    2. Went to Windows Settings > System > Restore and chose the Go Back option, didn't seem to fix the issue.
    3. Went to Windows Settings > Windows Update > Uninstall Updates and uninstalled the update from 2022-05-14.
    4. Upon first restart, didn't seem to do anything. Restarted again, and lo and behold it works again!

Created a restore point, re-unenrolled from Windows Insider preview builds, and will hope I don't mess it up again.

Thanks for your help, Jack!
  • JackE
    Congratulations. Thanks for reporting back. Do you know what the May 14th update was? It might try to re-install if it wasn't part of insider. As long as System Protection is enabled and you increased the disk space allocated for restore points so they don't get deleted so fast, you should be OK.

PS: Avoid messing with BIOS updates. They can introduce adverse side effects or worse --- like bricking an otherwise functional machine. Unlike driver updates, they should be considered irreversible and only applied as a last resort to try to fix serious issues. 

Jack E/NJ

• paulieweb2

Tinkerer

May 14 was a Windows full system update, may well have been an insider preview build update. Just gonna steer clear of any updates till next official slow build update comes along. Thanks again!