Aspire v5 2013 screen stopped working

AspireV5user678
AspireV5user678 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited May 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hi👋🏼 I have an Acer Aspire v5 laptop from around 2013 it has been working great! But a couple of years ago the screen stopped working and I’ve been using it perfectly fine with an HDMI cable into my TV. But yesterday I turned it on but my TV said “no signal” so I tried another HDMI cable but the same thing happened. And I can’t enable HDMI output because I can’t see anything on the screen. I tried using FN+F5 but nothing happened.

please help 😔 :(

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi👋🏼 I have an Acer Aspire v5 laptop from around 2013 it has been working great! But a couple of years ago the screen stopped working and I’ve been using it perfectly fine with an HDMI cable into my TV. But yesterday I turned it on but my TV said “no signal” so I tried another HDMI cable but the same thing happened. And I can’t enable HDMI output because I can’t see anything on the screen. I tried using FN+F5 but nothing happened.

Make sure that the external monitor works? Check that first as that could be your problem, otherwise its probably your HDMI side plug at the V5 laptop that one of its pins is either bent or the plug is burned out? These laptops very rarely go wrong and your screen issue might be just the screen cable and the plug that plugs into the motherboard side, or backlighting or the actual cable that goes to the LCD screen to the top caase that is damaged and faulty, check al those things, as all those are common problems with screens not working.

Also and with all old laptops, its either you bother to get them diagnosed and repaired, as a new screen, a replacement HDMI plug and diagnostics of whatever is wrong with this laptops imaging would cost more than the actual laptop is worth and you will have to buy a new laptop.

Answers

• AspireV5user678

Tinkerer

• StevenGen
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

Make sure that the external monitor works? Check that first as that could be your problem, otherwise its probably your HDMI side plug at the V5 laptop that one of its pins is either bent or the plug is burned out? These laptops very rarely go wrong and your screen issue might be just the screen cable and the plug that plugs into the motherboard side, or backlighting or the actual cable that goes to the LCD screen to the top caase that is damaged and faulty, check al those things, as all those are common problems with screens not working.

Also and with all old laptops, its either you bother to get them diagnosed and repaired, as a new screen, a replacement HDMI plug and diagnostics of whatever is wrong with this laptops imaging would cost more than the actual laptop is worth and you will have to buy a new laptop.

• AspireV5user678

Tinkerer

@StevenGen it appears that one of the pins in the HDMI port is smaller than the rest plus I tried multiple cables and none of them work.

Plus the screen has a green tinge to it and it doesn’t go black when it’s on
  • AspireV5user678

Tinkerer

edited May 2022
    How do I reconnect the cable and the screen?
    and how do I know if it’s a backlight issue when i shine a bright light on the screen I don’t see anything
  • StevenGen
    and how do I know if it’s a backlight issue when i shine a bright light on the screen I don’t see anything

You need to open the laptops back cover and see where the screen plug plugs into the mobo, then chase that cable from the mobo to the bottom of the laptop screen at the top cover, where it connects and see if there are any breakages in the cable and/or around the plug at the mobo or screen ends, as this cable consists of very delicate wires and connections that opening and closing the laptop lid and also due to age, it can damaged and break this cable and affect your screen or make your screen not work at all, its best to replace this cable after a while and especially for an old laptop like a V5 if the screen doesn’t work.

The way to check the “screens backlight” is to turn the laptop on in a completely dark room as you will be able to see a faint image in the screen if it’s the backlight, as shining a bright torch onto the screen does nothing and will show nothing.   

• AspireV5user678

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:

You need to open the laptops back cover and see where the screen plug plugs into the mobo, then chase that cable from the mobo to the bottom of the laptop screen at the top cover, where it connects and see if there are any breakages in the cable and/or around the plug at the mobo or screen ends, as this cable consists of very delicate wires and connections that opening and closing the laptop lid and also due to age, it can damaged and break this cable and affect your screen or make your screen not work at all, its best to replace this cable after a while and especially for an old laptop like a V5 if the screen doesn’t work.

The way to check the “screens backlight” is to turn the laptop on in a completely dark room as you will be able to see a faint image in the screen if it’s the backlight, as shining a bright torch onto the screen does nothing and will show nothing.   

StevenGen said:

When I shift I bright light on it I see a faint image and when I don’t I still see a faint image. 
    Do I need a new backlight? 😢 
    How do I access the back on this machine