Problems with Acer Spin 5 Convertible Laptop (model no.: SP513-54N)

Bidyut
Bidyut Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I have been using Acer Spin 5 Convertible Laptop (model no.: SP513-54N) since August 2020.

I am very much disappointed to write that the laptop has been showing various problems right from the beginning. The display stopped working (horizontal lines coming in the display) after almost 6 months from the received date. Acer sent another display for replacement which then again stopped working one week ago. This time the display went black suddenly while working. I have again contacted Acer support and they have placed the order for replacement again.

Also, one of the USB-C ports does not work properly right from the beginning. There are two type C Thunderbolt 3 ports on the left side. Since they are thunderbolt 3 type C ports, both the ports should work properly like charging the laptop or display output, etc. One of those ports is working fine but the other one is showing some issues. Whenever I am playing something on my laptop through a speaker or headset, as soon as I connect the charger or any display output cable to that particular type C Thunderbolt 3 port, the sound vanishes from the speaker or from the headset. The laptop does not go to mute but the sound does not come out. I have to restart the laptop and then only the sound comes again. I have consulted with the Acer service center but they could not find the cause of it. 

Is there anyone who is facing similar problems in this particular model?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    When you look at the symbols printed next to the USB-C ports there should be a DC charge symbol next to the one closest to the display and only the thunderbolt symbol next to the one further from the display. That is supposed to show you that only one can be used for charging.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bidyut

Tinkerer

This marked up type C port is creating the aforesaid problem.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    That is the port that accepts charging. I'm using mine right now to listen to music through a 192KHz USB-C adapter with my headphones. I wonder when you connect a display cable to that port it's also switching the audio out to the monitor?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bidyut

Tinkerer

The audio vanishes when a charger is connected to that port too. The charging is fine through that port, only the audio gets off but it does not go to mute either.
  • AKSH1121
    AKSH1121 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am facing the same problem now too! (horizontal lines on the screen) It happened last year and they replaced the whole screen for me but now it's happening again. It's so frustrating.  :|
  • Bidyut

Tinkerer

edited May 2022
    Do not the use the 1st type C port (near the barrel charging point) for anything. I have stopped using that port and till now everything is fine.