The screen goes black suddenly and automatically while laptop still being on acer aspire 5

Ravi25
Ravi25 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in Aspire Laptops
I recently bought this acer aspire 5 and sometimes it restarts on its own and sometimes screen goes black while laptop still running. The screen flickers automatically then automatically reboot. I have already updated all the drivers and Windows update also check the virus issue but still the problem didn't solved. Please guide me how to solve this issue, because of this I have to faced many problems daily. Its brand new laptop.
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    >>>I recently bought this acer aspire 5 >>>>>brand new laptop>>>

Immediately return the laptop to the vendor/seller as defective. Don't delay. Do this now before the vendor's return merchandise authorization (RMA) period expires. Usually only a few weeks. Because warranty repair service will take longer and may involve shipping charges depending on your location.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Ravi25,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password​​

3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. 
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​

• jcmolero71
    jcmolero71 Member Posts: 24 Networker
    I had a similar issue and also the report of the amd software it failed, I am not sure if this has to do but I had downgrade the bios to 1.08 then installed the 1.10 from acer, the problem was present, in the other hand I downgraded to 1.08 but I did left windows update the bios, it is working with no issues so far since (watching youtube and twitch)
  • jcmolero71
    I had a similar issue and also the report of the amd software it failed, I am not sure if this has to do but I had downgrade the bios to 1.08 then installed the 1.10 from acer, the problem was present, in the other hand I downgraded to 1.08 but I did left windows update the bios, it is working with no issues so far since (watching youtube and twitch)
    forget what I said before... the issue came again, geez, now I don't now what to do
  • JackE
    edited May 2022
    Thanks for report.

Jack E/NJ

• jcmolero71
    forget what I said before... the issue came again, geez, now I don't now what to do
    Update: downgraded bios to 1.08 & updated to 1.10 with the Acer one (previously deleting the firmware driver in device manager)
    removed & cleaned the adrenaline 2022 (+chipset) uninstalling and running the cleaning utility, I left windows update put their drivers, installed the adrenaline 2020 + chipset from acer then updated them with the amd adrenaline 2022 (unchecking the factory reset and changed install to minimum) and chipset, after that played some hours of vrchat, ram 15 mins of burnintest software then I’ve watched some hours of twitch last night, I did a manual restart and resumed the twitch stream, no errors so far
  • jcmolero71
    checkpoint: working normally, seems the problem has been the Radeon Wattman which is included in the complete install of Adrenaline, AMD says Radeon WattMan is not supported on APU Graphics or AMD Graphics that are preinstalled in OEM systems, so I assume it was conflicting before
  • jcmolero71
    Issue kept coming sporadically using the AMD Display driver version 22.5.1, updated to 22.5.2 and got worse, after researching and testing drivers the one which is stable is the version 22.1.2 which is the last but one WHQL, from 22.2.1 the problem arises, and it seems related with a flickering problem in some video card models 
  • jcmolero71
    Another update:
    sadly the 22.1.2 failed after a intensive test, so I had to investigate around then a latin guy in Youtube gave a solution: the latest stable driver is the 21.10.2 which is the second WHQL released for Windows 11, also I pondered about other brands using the same apu as mine and they point around this version just with some modifications, so I tested this and the latest chipset (which also found in the other brands's drivers), it is going completey stable, even if I run vrchat with video inside, 2 twitch streams at time and some more operations in browser, it works flawlessly. Also I noticed recently using other versions the executable application icons are seen as generic icons, as some icons in taskbar, only the original Acer and the 21.10.2 the icons show correctly.
    Now I'd lilke to share the link of the video and chipset drivers
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-10-2
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/socket-fp5-mobile/amd-ryzen-and-athlon-mobile-chipset

hope this helps everyone with this issue, I hope AMD resolves this driver conflict in the upcoming versions
  • JackE
    >>>sadly the 22.1.2 failed >>>the latest stable driver is the 21.10.2>>>>it is going completely stable>>>it works flawlessly.>>>

Thanks. Keep the bad, then good reports coming!  :)

Jack E/NJ

• jcmolero71
    there's a big update:
    everything was working as intended but a recent Windows update made it mess everything, until the point none of the video drivers worked correctly, I researched for alternatives and decided to go by hardware, someone said the problem was caused by a incompatible ram module, so I tested that idea removing the additional module and it worked just for a few, but it failed again; also someone said changing the bios version to update or downgrade would fix the problem so I tested that, and it worked! A515-45 came with a Bios V1.08 by defailt, windows offered an update as option and I ran it, updated to V1.10 but it only said it supported some battery models which not correspond to the actual it has, and it seems it made laptop to demand more energy consumption, which it was not satisfied by the laptop and its adapter went too hot, producing the timeout issue, just downgraded to the stock V1.08, and it is going better, faster and adaptor is cooled to a more acceptable temperature, I'm still testing to see how it goes

For resuming, keep in the stock firmware and don't let windows update it

Actual drivers are 22.5.1 (driver only) and 4.06.10.151 for the chipset
  • JackE
    >>>keep in the stock firmware and don't let windows update it>>>

Good advice! Rule of thumb --- avoid optional or firmware updates on a functional machine. Thanks for another update.

Jack E/NJ

• jcmolero71
    Another update:
    Replaced the 8G ram module (Micron) by a Crucial 16GB single rank, tested with 22.6.1 and it gave a 141 event error (just some seconds of flickering), then I reverted to the recommended 22.5.1 and it's working normally so far, stable and no errors, firmware is still in 1.08 and chipset in 4.06.10.151
  • JackE
    Are you using generic or OEM drivers or a mix?

Jack E/NJ

• jcmolero71

been using the amd ones (because Substance Painter detected OEM ones too old)

Oh after a long wait, the solution finally came:

this is a WHQL optional, no more driver timeouts so far, though I had to do a clean manual Windows 11 installation because a hacker caught me offguard and messed with my accounts

• jcmolero71

this driver seemed worked well, as it came the 22.10.3 and 22.11.1 the problem temporally came back, and more when I wanted to watch Disney+ with the microsoft shop app, it garbled when laptop came from a suspend and tried to play any episode or movie, I quitted using it.

now the version 22.11.2 became Recommended and it's the actual driver I'm using, no more twitch + vrchat issues so far and it's the latest for most models (7000s came with 22.12.x afterwards)

• JackE

>>>22.10.3 and 22.11.1 the problem temporally came back>>>>.now the version 22.11.2>>>

Sounds like they're making progress. 🙂 Wonder what'll happen after the next major Win11 update? 😮

Jack E/NJ

• jcmolero71

new discovery, seems that MPO setting has to do a lot, specifically with Radeon 6000 series which had issues with grey screens and timeouts too, I tried this workaround (it's Nvidia but same issue anyway), disabling MPO with mpo_disable.reg and restarting windows, reenabled hardware acceleration everywhere, I left a twitch streaming all night long with ocassional resizing, full screen and restoring, all normal so far

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/~/after-updating-to-nvidia-game-ready-driver-461.09-or-newer%2C-some-desktop-app

• JackE

> version 22.11.2> Recommended and it's the actual driver
    I'm using, no more twitch + vrchat issues so far >

> new discovery, seems that MPO setting has to do a lot,

I thought you said it was fixed with 22.11.2 last time you posted? Did the twitch come back by installing regular and/or optional Win updates?

Jack E/NJ