Super loud Acer G3-710

Okänd
Okänd Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

My brother got a G3 710 couple years back and its starting to fall behind specs wise. Thing that is most annoying is high end games are starting to make the fan sound go crazy, I havent opened up the case so Im unsure which fan is causing it. Googled around abit and seems to be somewhat of a known issue with this prebuilt getting loud. But im talking it starts like a jet engine sound for a few seconds, relaxes for 20-30 seconds and then fan goes off again. Any recommendations on new fans I could get? Or if space will be an issue, if psu will be able to handle it etc, im not the greatest when it comes to tech so any advice helps thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    Likely it's just old enough now that the thermal compound is drying out, although it could also be dirt and such clogging things causing higher heat levels. Open it up, clean it out paying special attention to the heat sink itself and repaste the CPU then retest to see where your temperatures sit. The G3-710 is 7th gen Intel, so five years old and it might just not have the horsepower the latest games would like. Just tone down their requirements and let it run at it's best speed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Okänd

Tinkerer

I placed new thermal paste a couple months back, is there a aftermarket heat sink that would work? I think the current one needs to get replaced with something newer. Something thats quieter because its kind of sad just hearing the pc struggle every few seconds. 
  • billsey
    There have been a lot of people here who have used the Noctua cooling systems in their Predators to good effect. Do a little searching and you will find a lot of thread that include models numbers and such. Typically they see about a 20C difference, which would tend to run the fans at full blast a hack of a lot less often.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Okänd

Tinkerer

Which exact noctua model works fine with this specific predator build? Appreciate the help by the way. 
  • Okänd

Tinkerer

I looked up Noctua NH-L9i Low profile, is that a solid choice and does it function with the G3-710?

• billsey
    I believe there has been at least one other member who put that model in. Be aware that if you fully populate memory you won't want really tall memory sticks because there isn't a lot of room under the heat sink.
  • Okänd

Tinkerer

Got it installed, seems like it was the GPU causing the loud issues constantly, but ohwell one problem less upgrade to deal with. I am hearing a beep coming from inside the pc which I googled and found to be the fan speed error that can be turned off in Bios, i tried finding that specific bios setting to no result since all searches just show a different UI and settings tabs so cant figure out which one to do
  • Okänd

Tinkerer

And monitor turns off after abit of usage, Ive checked around and it could be that the GPU is not getting enough power to run the monitor? Is it because of the Fan using to much power?
  • billsey
    Here is what i have for the BIOS menus:
    Smart Fan is the only real fan control option and it's only a toggle that doesn't affect the GPU.