Low GPU Usage in Games (Helios 300 PH315-54 (i7-11800H with RTX 3060))

DeonPHOENIX
DeonPHOENIX Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited May 2022 in Predator Laptops
The GPU usage is low in games. I have tested out the usage but no matter the settings, the GPU usage does not go high or stay in range of 90%-100%.
I have tested PUBG on low to ultra settings on both 1080p and 1440p but usage does not reach the desired percentage/range.
I have also tested it on Warzone as well but it also provides the same result of low usage, but I do understand that warzone is a good optimized game.
However the GPU usage does hit up to 99% or 100% but just for some seconds in both games.
I'm running on latest nvidia gpu driver (installed by completely removing old driver/s using DDU). Graphics settings are also set to high performance in Windows settings, and dedicated gpu is also set in nvidia control panel with right settings. I'm running on dual channel ram as well. Power plan is also set to Ultimate Performance.

Bought this laptop 4 months ago.
Model: Predator Helios 300 - PH315-54

PUBG Usage Screenshots:

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Warzone Usage Screenshots:

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Answers

• FakeFire100
    FakeFire100 Member Posts: 21 Networker
    it caused by cpu heating, u have to limit the cpu set it at 3.5GHz
  • DeonPHOENIX
    @FakeFire100 Okay but how and where can I set the limit for it?
    And is it going to affect performance if I limit it?
  • DeonPHOENIX
    @FakeFire100 In my case, GPU usage differs but in that post (which you posted the link of) he has higher GPU usage all the time as per his screenshots.
    So, do we both have same solution and problem?

And as per your solution that you posted, I cannot repaste because my laptop is under warantty. And I was thinking to undervolt it.
  • FakeFire100
    then try use Throttlestop for undervolt, if u cant repaste cpu and gpu. Be sure u put the graphics ultra or high in the game.
  • FakeFire100
    then try use Throttlestop for undervolt, if u cant repaste cpu and gpu. Be sure u put the graphics ultra or high in the game.
    Also,
    Be sure u put the graphics ultra or high in the game.
    Don't play without AC adaptor.
    Don't place it on surfaces that prevent the penetration of heat from it and to it.

If you see on the last three picture (%98 usage, 71 C),(%70 usage, 86 C),(%65 usage, 89 C) these cilices will reduce the usage cause the CPU is hot, so it will reduce it to save the component.
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder
    @DeonPHOENIX open task manager, performance tab, memory section. Does your model just have 1 stick of RAM only?
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • DeonPHOENIX
    @AnhEZ28 Hi, No i'm running dual channel ram (2 sticks). It is stated in the question :)
  • AnhEZ28
    @DeonPHOENIX sorry about that, I didn't catch it. I think the usage is depends on games and amount of texture that it is currently rendering. It is not always stay near at 100%
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • DeonPHOENIX
    @AnhEZ28 Yes, that's right. But in a game like pubg which heavy gpu intensive where i have maxed out the settings (ultra at 2k) and it does not stay constant in the range of higher usage. I had spoken with some other people as well who play PUBG and they say that there usage is always in a higher range.

In a game like warzone, its understandable that it requires both cpu and gpu to render.
  • DeonPHOENIX
    @FakeFire100 yeah that's right. I did realize that too that as temp goes up the usage goes down significantly.

Thanks for tips. I will undervolt it and let you know.
  • AnhEZ28
    @DeonPHOENIX maybe you see if these optimization steps work for you: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/612495/windows-10-11-optimization-guide-for-gaming/p1
    Does the usage increase if you turn on Turbo?