Hi, I have a problem with my computer. Both my mouse and keyboard don't work. Aspire XC 885

Heddu
Heddu Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

I've tried using different USB ports, different mouse and keyboards and so on. Nothing seems to work as input. The computer boots up just fine and everything else works. It's just that I have no communication with my computer. I watched a lot of tutorials on YouTube telling me to use the keyboard to fix the mouse and vice versa, but both mouse and keyboard do not work, so I don't know what to do. Does anyone know what I might be able to try?

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Best Answer

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    It can be another brand computer. I've created a boot disc on a Lenovo and repaired my ACER desktop.

Answers

• MintyDraws
    MintyDraws Member Posts: 42 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Make sure there enabled in drivers
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    Heddu said:
    I've tried using different USB ports, different mouse and keyboards and so on. Nothing seems to work as input. The computer boots up just fine and everything else works. It's just that I have no communication with my computer. I watched a lot of tutorials on YouTube telling me to use the keyboard to fix the mouse and vice versa, but both mouse and keyboard do not work, so I don't know what to do. Does anyone know what I might be able to try?

What is your computers model number? As any external keyboard and/or mouse should automatically be installed by Windows default drivers and it should work 100% no matter what manufacturer and/or model it is. Also, what model keyboard and mouse are you trying to connect to your computer? I’m used and using an external keyboard and mouse with my laptop and it works perfectly. Give us more details as its very hard

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Yes, we really need to have a better idea of what you have... Is it a laptop, desktop, tablet? Is it a Windows, ChromeOS, Linux OS? Are you connecting to a PS2 port, USB port or external hub?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Heddu

Tinkerer

edited May 2022
    I have an Acer Aspire XC 885 windows 10

I have absolutely no communication with the computer what so ever, all I can do is turn it on and wait on the launcher screen, I can't even log in, I've tested a bunch of different mice and keyboardsStevenGen said:
    Heddu said:

What is your computers model number? As any external keyboard and/or mouse should automatically be installed by Windows default drivers and it should work 100% no matter what manufacturer and/or model it is. Also, what model keyboard and mouse are you trying to connect to your computer? I’m used and using an external keyboard and mouse with my laptop and it works perfectly. Give us more details as its very hard

• Heddu

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Yes, we really need to have a better idea of what you have... Is it a laptop, desktop, tablet? Is it a Windows, ChromeOS, Linux OS? Are you connecting to a PS2 port, USB port or external hub?
    It's a windows 10, USB port
  • Heddu

Tinkerer

Make sure there enabled in drivers
    I can't because I can't use the computer, I can only turn it on and wait on the log in screen
  • billsey
    OK, so it's possible there are problems with the USB. Have you tried all ports? IIRC there are two USB 3.0 ports adjacent to the Ethernet and a stack of four USB 2.0 ports between that and the VGA. Keyboard and mouse usually work best in a 2.0 port. The two front ports are USB 3.1... Looking at the block diagram on your system the four 2.0 ports are on one buss, the read 3.0 ports are on another and the front 3.1 ports share two busses each. So if they are all bad it's likely the PCH chip portion of the chipset rather than a zapped port.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Heddu

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    OK, so it's possible there are problems with the USB. Have you tried all ports? IIRC there are two USB 3.0 ports adjacent to the Ethernet and a stack of four USB 2.0 ports between that and the VGA. Keyboard and mouse usually work best in a 2.0 port. The two front ports are USB 3.1... Looking at the block diagram on your system the four 2.0 ports are on one buss, the read 3.0 ports are on another and the front 3.1 ports share two busses each. So if they are all bad it's likely the PCH chip portion of the chipset rather than a zapped port.
    I have tried all the USB ports on the front and back, with different devices. Can you elaborate further on this chip thing and what I can do about it?
  • billsey
    There is not a lot that can be done if it's the chip itself, that pretty much means a new motherboard. Drivers could easily be the issue since all USB ports use the same ones. Does the keyboard work before Windows starts to load, ie. in the POST? If so you should be able to get into the BIOS and verify they work there. If not then the issue almost has to be hardware, if it works in the BIOS then the issue almost has to be software. We can potentially fix a software issue by booting to a Windows install flash drive, since that won't load the bad drivers. From that boot we can do a reinstall or form the repair mode command prompt use SFC and DISM to repair the current Windows installation.
  • Larryodie
    I assume that your are using WIRED KEYBOARD and MOUSE ?

Have you reset the BIOS or pulled the battery overnight with the AC unplugged ??
    Or if the delete key  after step 4 ?
    1. Turn off the computer.
    2. Disconnect all cables including Power.
    3. Then press & hold power button for 20 seconds.
    4. Later reconnect all cables and power on the unit.
    5. When you power on, immediately start tap the DEL key.
    6. That should get into BIOS. Press F9 , Enter and F10, Enter
  • Heddu

Tinkerer

Larryodie said:

Have you reset the BIOS or pulled the battery overnight with the AC unplugged ??
    I use a wireless mouse and wired keyboard, I've tried using wired mouse which didn't work, my devices work on other computer. Just so I know what do these steps do? Do they reset the computer? Because I still need my stuff in the computer it's important
  • Larryodie
    No your windows and data remains undisturbed.

• Heddu

Tinkerer

Larryodie said:

What does it do? Just so I'm safeHeddu said:
    Larryodie said:

I use a wireless mouse and wired keyboard, I've tried using wired mouse which didn't work, my devices work on other computer. Just so I know what do these steps do? Do they reset the computer? Because I still need my stuff in the computer it's important
    Heddu said:
    Larryodie said:

• Larryodie
    I'm wondering HOW you got into BIOS if the keyboard don't work  or make any changes ?

• Larryodie
    edited May 2022
    Providing that your keyboard works into bios then you can do a ALT -F10 on boot & do a trouble shoot or do a reset.. RESET SHOULDN'T MESS with your data. The only way that I know to save your data is maybe disconnect the hard drive or copy to an external HD in in another computer. 
  • Heddu

Tinkerer

edited May 2022
    Larryodie said:
    I'm wondering HOW you got into BIOS if the keyboard don't work  or make any changes ?

It was working when i got in but when i got to the log in screen it didn't work. The keyboard light turned on when I was in BIOS but the on the log in screen it turned off
  • Larryodie
    So can you do the ALT-F10 reset ??

• billsey
    If the keyboard and mouse work in the BIOS but doesn't in Windows, we know the issue is within Windows, not hardware. That's a good thing. :) The next step will be to try and repair Windows using a flash drive with an install image on it. You will need to change a couple of things in the  BIOS and run a few incomprehensible commands to fix Windows, but they won't any of your data or apps. Do you have access to another computer in order to make the Windows install flash drive?
  • Heddu

Tinkerer

I have a windows 7 64bit old laptop which i can use. What do I need to download and what do I need to configure?
  • Larryodie