Random pc freezes Aspire TC-1660

Balt
Balt Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
Hey, i have a Aspire TC-1660 (004). I bought it last year in december and have had various issues. Now most recently last 3-4 months i get random full pc freezes, where i can't do anything until i force-shutdown by holding power button. The pc has been repaired twice through warranty also, most recently with a replacement of RAM and MB. The freezes seem to have some kind of relation to watching streams in browser (chrome/opera gx), but i do this a huge amount and most often nothing happends. In event log i cannot see any warnings in either the application nor the system sections just before the crashes, so i am absolutely clueless to what i should do. The crashes (freezes) happend probably 4-6 times a week, i use it for 4-8h a day.

Would really appreciate some help!

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Best Answer

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,073 Pathfinder
    @Balt
    Which CPU/GPU?
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    Balt

First of all we need to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue.  

Here are some of the steps to speed up your computer.  

Try windows + r -  on the run window - type msconfig  - click ok  
    click on services
    check - hide all microsoft services 
    click on disable all
    click on startup 
    disable all the startup items 
    click on apply - ok  - restart the computer.     Loading process will be very fast now..

Note: You can always enable the services and startup items later or set it to normal startup from selective startup later on the General tab  

Try windows + r - on the run window - type appwiz.cpl  - click ok  
    it will show you the list of programs
    remove all the unwanted third party programs. 
    Please don’t remove any drivers.  
    If you are not sure , please don’t remove it.  

Try windows + r - on the run window type temp - click ok -  it will show you the bunch of files -  try ctrl + a - select all files - press the shift key and click on delete files 

Try windows + r - on the run window type  %temp%  - click ok  - It will show you the bunch of files -  try ctrl + a - select all files - press the shift key and click on delete files 

If you are not able to remove some files - click on skip and then click click on continue.. 

Try windows + r  - on the run window - type cleanmgr - click ok
    click on all the boxes except recycle bin and thumnail
    Delete the items which are checked 

Try windows x - on the menu - chose command prompt admin or power shell admin 
    click on yes 
    on the blue or black window  type sfc /scannow 
    It will be running till 100 %

Try to do a chrome reset 
    open chrome
    click on three dots on top right corner 
    click on settings
    Scroll down - go to advanced
    click on restore setting to default
    you will see reset settings - cancel
    click on reset settings 
    Open chrome 
    it will work faster now

If it is still not working then we have to do a refresh and reset

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

or 

on start - type here to search - type reset this pc - click on reset this pc on the top  - click on get started 

It will show you keep my files and remove everything
    chose keep my files 
    chose the account - type the password - click on local reinstall - click on reset 
    It will be in progress.. 
    login to computer and start using the computer. 
    If it is still not working 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 
    chose remove everything 
    click on local reinstall - just remove my files - click on reset
    It will be in progress

Note:

If you do refresh ( keep my files ) -  all your personal files like pictures, music , documents , videos  will still be intact.   Only the applications will be lost

If you do reset  ( remove everything )  - you are doing a factory default.   It will become like a day one computer.    It will wipe out everything and take your computer to day one like a new computer. 

You can also do the recovery in an alternative way..

There are two alt keys on the keyboard.  If you look at the bottom row of keyboard you can see the one on the left side of space bar and the other on the right side of space bar.  The alt key on the right side will be looking like alt, alt gr or alt car.  Turn off the computer.  Hold the alt key on the left and tap f10 continuously.   It will go to repair mode.  It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot.   If it is not going to repair mode, turn off the computer.  Turn on the computer.  Hold the right alt key ( alt gr or alt car or alt )  and then tap f10 continuously.  It will go to chose an option continue and troubleshoot..

It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot
    Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc
    click on keep my files  ( only applications will be lost )   chose your account and type your password   - click on local reinstall  - click on reset
    It will be in progress 

If the keep my files option is not working 

Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – just remove my files – click on reset 
    It will reinstall windows. 

If the just remove my files is not working.. 

Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – Fully clean the drive – click on reset 
    It will reinstall windows. 

Note: You can also go to chose an option , continue , troubleshoot by holding the alt key + tapping f10  or alt gr + tapping f10 on the keyboard while turning on the computer.    Once you see the troubleshoot option, you can stop tapping the f10 and stop holding the alt key.    Then you can try the keep my files and remove everything ( just remove by files and fully clean the drive ) by following the steps which was mentioned above. 

It should work fine. 

Even after the factory reset if you are facing the same issue then it might be a hardware issue.   Some of the components inside your computer might have gone bad.  It might be a old age hard drive,  motherboard, memory..

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• OleumCacao
    OleumCacao Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Same problem here and still have no solution, but haven't done reinstall driver yet
    Perhaps will update my issue later as well
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Try replacing the Bios Battery.
  • Larryodie
    Leave it out overnight with the unit unplugged, before replacing.
  • Balt
    Hey, sorry for the late answers, i thought i would get email notification if i got response.
    @Balt
    Which CPU/GPU?
    11400F/1660s

@William_mk2 not really relevant, i have done many factory resets and the MB/ram has been replaced in the last 3 months.

Larryodie said:
    Try replacing the Bios Battery.
    Not sure i will do that, i still have warranty and that would void it. Perhaps updating bios could do something?

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Which BIOS version is installed? If you have not the latest version 2022/04/22 Version: R01-B0 installed, download and install it from here:
    The freezing issue was discussed in this thread and solved with a BIOS update.

• Larryodie
    Yes, perhaps it needs to go back to Acer. But try unplugging overnight at least if you haven't . 
  • Balt
    wascas said:
    Which BIOS version is installed? If you have not the latest version 2022/04/22 Version: R01-B0 installed, download and install it from here:

Sounds good! i was thinking about updating it few days ago to try and fix, but got confused. When i extract the zip, i get 5 folders, what should i do? (which file should i run? etc)
    Also, do i need to do each update up until this one or can i just do this update?
    Just want to be sure, updating bios seems like something that you should be careful with.

Thanks!
  • Larryodie
    Go to the Appendix folder and open UCP Bios Update for Win .....
    Did you try a battery or reset overnight. I have seen post of it being the fix ? I'm not sure why but simple to try.
  • Larryodie
    You can HOLD SHIFT while RESTARTING. This will get you to diagnostic, patch etc. I'd run the hard drive test.
  • Larryodie
    My bad as you can't check your hard drive in that menu. But go to file explorer & right click to properties to check.
  • Balt
    edited May 2022
    Larryodie said:
    Go to the Appendix folder and open UCP Bios Update for Win .....
    Did you try a battery or reset overnight. I have seen post of it being the fix ? I'm not sure why but simple to try.
    Will do BIOS update first, seems unlikely
    Edit: have updated BIOS successfully, will return with results in few days.
  • Balt
    wascas said:

Yep, worked great, haven't had any freezes at all. However, every time i start my pc at the start of the day i get one or two 0xc000021a BSOD's before it starts properly, which get me a little concerned, but overall user experience is up. Not quite sure what to do, as the BSOD's obviously seem to be as a result of me updating BIOS, but reverting would result in getting the stupid freezes again.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    You should take a look at the mini dump files that are created form the BSOD events. They will point at the offending driver or service. If it's a service it might need to be in delayed start mode instead of automatic, assuming the issue is it's trying to run before the prerequisites are up and running.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Balt
    billsey said:
    You should take a look at the mini dump files that are created form the BSOD events. They will point at the offending driver or service. If it's a service it might need to be in delayed start mode instead of automatic, assuming the issue is it's trying to run before the prerequisites are up and running.
    Using BlueScreenView, ntoskrnl.exe is the only one highlighted in red for the crashes.
  • Balt
    Balt said:
    billsey said:
    Using BlueScreenView, ntoskrnl.exe is the only one highlighted in red for the crashes.
    Realtek Audio has had some "Configured",  "started" and "install requested" events since the BIOS update also.
  • Balt
    edited May 2022
    Balt said:
    Balt said:
    billsey said:
    Realtek Audio has had some "Configured",  "started" and "install requested" events since the BIOS update also.
    I am now semi-stuck, my pc will only boot if i remove all USB devices before startup. Once started, i can put them all back in again and use as normal. Not sure what to make of it. I tried to figure out which, but it seems that having any USB device connected during startup leads to the 0xc000021a BSOD. Have also tested different USB ports, but no difference.
  • Larryodie
    I think that you need to shift while restarting and run the FIX section.
  • Balt
    Larryodie said:
    I think that you need to shift while restarting and run the FIX section.
    What part of fix? startup repair? don't quite understand what you mean