how is this even possible ? is the problem on my hardware or software ? Extensa 215-53g

MON808
MON808 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited June 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, Windows is really not good at getting capacities right. Which laptop do you have? If it has a battery reset button under a pinhole on the bottom do the reset procedure to get the batteries internal stats reset (with the laptop off and everything, including power, disconnected press and hold the reset for 30 seconds then release. Wait 30 minutes and plug only power back in then wait for full charge indication. Plug your normal stuff back in and power it up). The next step is to do a few Windows calibration cycles. With it booted up disconnect power and run long enough on battery to have Windows shut down due to low battery. Plug power in and wait for full charge indication the power it back up. Repeat a few times, it will get better with each cycle. You might want to do a Windows calibration each month or so just to help keep things in line.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yes, Windows is really not good at getting capacities right. Which laptop do you have? If it has a battery reset button under a pinhole on the bottom do the reset procedure to get the batteries internal stats reset (with the laptop off and everything, including power, disconnected press and hold the reset for 30 seconds then release. Wait 30 minutes and plug only power back in then wait for full charge indication. Plug your normal stuff back in and power it up). The next step is to do a few Windows calibration cycles. With it booted up disconnect power and run long enough on battery to have Windows shut down due to low battery. Plug power in and wait for full charge indication the power it back up. Repeat a few times, it will get better with each cycle. You might want to do a Windows calibration each month or so just to help keep things in line.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MON808
    First of all thanks for the reply. I did follow the instructions you gave but it didnt do any help. I think the problem is on the battery itself. If the drop was between 5000-15000mwh i would say thats understandable but the full charge capacity is 2.200 now. I do use my laptop in charge most of the time i guess tho. I knew its bad thats why i was using the battery untill it hits %60 but i guess at some point i didnt take care of it much. My laptop is Extensa 215-53g. I do need to use my laptop for a long time daily and even when i first started to use it was lasting only for 1,5 hour on battery max even when i was just reading a pdf. So can i use my pc on charge all the time bec i dont use my laptop outside of home or should i change the battery nonetheless.
  • billsey
    It depends on the age of the laptop and what is actually going on with the battery. If it's a new model and still in warranty I'd go ahead and start a ticket with Acer support. If it's out of warranty I'd take the bottom cover off and physically inspect the battery. If there are signs of bulging in the cells I'd replace it. If the cells still look flat I'd just continue to use it until the low run times get in your way too often. There are power plan tweaks you can do to increase the duration for running on battery, most especially with dimming the screen. Also, if you are running on a HDD instead of SSD doing a drive upgrade will make a fair amount of difference also, since the spinning drives use a lot more power than the solid state.
  • MON808
    edited May 2022
    thanks soo much for the replies. i honestly didnt think you gonna reply this fast therefore didnt check for some days. i bought my laptop 8 months ago. i think the best option is to go to acer support. i use my laptop for long hours so even if i get a new battery, would it end in this way again is what i worry about. it would be a waste of resource.
  • billsey
    There is not a lot that typically goes wrong with batteries other than age. My guess is there was a manufacturing defect with yours and you shouldn't see the same effect with a different one.
  • MON808
    okay thank you soo much for all the replies sir. i will contact the acer soon as possible. have a good day
  • billsey
    Please let us know how it turns out.
  • MON808
    Sorry for the late reply. i called the acer help center after. they changed the battery and apperantly cleaned the fans. its been 1 month and its works fine like the first day ^^ thanks soo much for all the help.
  • billsey
    It sounds like the battery issue was related to an overheating problem caused by the dirty fans and heatsink. It's probably best to just clean those every so often before things tend to get too hot...