Aspire XC-705 HDMI no signal

TATHS
TATHS Member Posts: 5 New User
I'm trying (in vain) to connect an Acer Aspire XC-705 (c/w Intel HD 4600 onboard graphics) to an Acer K243Y monitor using the HDMI port - all I get is "no signal" on the monitor, even after selecting HDMI as the input in the monitor settings.

I've tried connecting the monitor to a laptop via the same hdmi cable and that works fine, so its not the monitor or the cable.

I can connect the pc to the monitor via VGA and that works fine, but not via HDMI.

Then tried connecting another monitor (that only has VGA) and adding the K243Y monitor via HDMI as a second monitor, but windows 10 doesn't see it at all.

Any ideas anyone?

Answers

• TATHS
    Just noticed that the bios on the xc-705 is a couple of versions out of date, but the downloads section doesn't say what the fix's are. Is it possible it could solve the problem with the hdmi socket not working ?

There are two versions on the Acer site P11.B4 & P11.B4L which seems to be the latest - is it worth trying? 

I'd be grateful for any advice as I've not done this sort of thing for awhile.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    The B4L version has only some tweaks for Linux. I don't believe any of the versions were to do with output on the HDMI. Can you show us a picture of the back of the XC-705 with both cables connected?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TATHS
    Thanks for your reply Billsey - apologies for the delay in getting back to you, it's been a manic few days with starting a new job.

attached are some photos - using the phone torch I was able to take a good look inside the HDMI socket and it all seems ok to me, clean and undamaged as far as I can see.

I've also now tried a second HDMI cable that I know works but still getting the "No signal" if I switch the monitor from VGA to HDMI.

I've not had chance to update the BIOS, but if you think the updates aren't related I'll probably leave it alone.

any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated !

• billsey
    OK, so at least you aren't trying to mix motherboard graphics with a GPU card... You would be surprised how many people plug a second monitor into the motherboard instead of the second port on the GPU card, then wonder why it doesn't work. :)
    The VGA port and HDMI port come off of different chips in the chipset and specs state very distinctly dual independent displays, so it's not an issue of a MB design that's either one or the other. I assume you are running Windows? With both the first monitor connected to the VGA and the second monitor connected to the HDMI, if you press Windows-P and select Extend from the menu does the second monitor light up? If Windows is in the main monitor only mode it will not send a signal to the second port, though I would expect to get a signal if the VGA were disconnected and only the HDMI were connected. The HDMI port supports resolutions up to FHD (1920x1080@60Hz) and the K243Y models also support that resolution so you really should be good to go...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TATHS
    thanks Billsey

yes its a Win10 pc, with all the latest updates and drivers applied. If I select Extend (or any of the other options) it doesn't recognise the second screen. 

If I connect just the K243Y with the HDMI cable I get no signal
    If I connect the K243Y with both VGA and HDMI cables the screen only works on the VGA settings on the monitor.

are there any diagnostics to test the pc ports, or is there something in Win10 that's stuck on VGA maybe ?
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    You can hook the HDMI to a TV's HDMI and select HDMIx in the input menu. 

• billsey
    edited May 2022
    Yes, using a TV is a test that most people can do to verify the HDMI port is working. Connecting an external HDMI device like a DVD player to the monitor would be a good test of the HDMI port on the monitor itself as well. Connecting both the VGA and the HDMI to the same monitor is likely going to give weird results, since that isn't really a normal mode.
  • Larryodie
    Is your ONBOARD GRAPHIC CONTROLLER enabled in BIOS ?

• billsey
    Larry, I don't believe the XC-705 has that option in the BIOS. It's handled automatically when you plug something into the PCIe x16 GPU slot.
  • Larryodie
    My TC-895 shows this but NOT changeable.
  • TATHS
    ok, so I've now plugged in a sony blu ray played to the monitor via HDMI and that works.

Then plugged the blu ray player into the PC HDMI slot and nothings recognised in device manager or anywhere else that I can see.

I've checked the system bios and no option for the onboard graphic controller.

its looking like the port is dead (or something in win10 isn't picking it up) so may have to resort to a graphics card which I was hoping to avoid.
  • Larryodie
    Try shift while restarting then go to the FIX portion or do the remove battery overnight or as someone else was successful.
    Unplug AC, all ports, hold the power button, release, plug all back up, go into bios F& then F10
  • Larryodie
    Here was Balatekie fix for no bluetooth

As a work around, you can try doing Power Drain and BIOS reset. That might get back you the Bluetooth icon. 

To execute it...

1. Turn off the computer.
    2. Disconnect all cables including Power.
    3. Then press & hold power button for 20 seconds.
    4. Later reconnect all cables and power on the unit.
    5. When you power on, immediately start tap the DEL key.
    6. That should get into BIOS. Press F9 , Enter and F10, Enter.
    7. Computer will again restart. Check for Bluetooth icon. 

Regards, 
    Balatekie
  • Larryodie
    BTW, The ONBOARD GRAPHIC CONTROLLER enabled in BIOS  was under the INTEL category
  • billsey
    The GPU stuff is handled automatically by the BIOS and can't be changed. That's why it's not even shown in the menus... A BIOS reset likely won't help, but it also is unlikely to hurt anything. At least we now know the HDMI on the monitor works, it's just the HDMI on the computer that's failing. :(