Number keys on chromebook Acer R721T work inconsistently.

thepburn
thepburn Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2022 in Chromebooks
Hello,
I work for a school district in the tech dept.  We have around 300 Acer R721T chromebooks.  I have worked on several of them with numbers keys that are not working, usually 1,2,3 and 4.  Sometimes I am able to fix the problem by reseating the keyboard ribbon cable, resetting the chromebook or formatting it.  Unfortunately if any of those fixes work it is only temporary.  I am wondering if they keyboards are defective?  I am seeing this more on the first fleet we purchased which were out of warranty in 11/21.  

[Edited the content to add model number to the title]

Answers

• Ingrid-Acer
    Ingrid-Acer Administrator Posts: 3,274 Community Administrator
    thepburn said:
    Hello,
    I work for a school district in the tech dept.  We have around 300 Acer R721T chromebooks.  I have worked on several of them with numbers keys that are not working, usually 1,2,3 and 4.  Sometimes I am able to fix the problem by reseating the keyboard ribbon cable, resetting the chromebook or formatting it.  Unfortunately if any of those fixes work it is only temporary.  I am wondering if they keyboards are defective?  I am seeing this more on the first fleet we purchased which were out of warranty in 11/21.  
    Hello @thepburn,

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue. I sent you a private message requesting some information, please reply at your convenience. 

Best Regards, 
    Acer-Ingrid 

• MWils678
    MWils678 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello.  
    I too work for a school district tech department and am experiencing the same issue.  We have about 2000 Acer R721T chromebooks and I am seeing an issue with the keyboards where the number line, with the exception of 5 and 6, will stop working.  I can reseat the ribbon cable and this works sometimes for a brief time, but I usually have to replace the keyboard.  I do not see this on any other model or brand of Chromebook we have.  
  • Titanoboa
    Titanoboa Member Posts: 1 New User
    I also work for a school district where we have hundreds of these models and have noticed this trend of only our Acer 721T CBs having this issue. Only the "5" and "6" keys keep working. So what I've found is reseating the ribbon works sometimes and if that doesn't work, swapping two "malfunctioning" keyboards will somehow fix the issue as well. I would love to know an official fix for this issue. 
  • Fig
    Fig Member Posts: 2 New User
    Any updates or official fixes for this issue?
  • Ingrid-Acer
    Hello all, 

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue. I sent you a private message, please reply at your convenience. 

Best Regards, 
    Acer-Ingrid 
  • thepburn
    thepburn Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi, I am sorry but I do not see your PM.
  • Ingrid-Acer
    edited June 2022
    Hello thepburn

I am sorry,  I  just replied your private message.

Best Regards, 
    Acer-Ingrid 
  • techmom9
    techmom9 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same exact issue.  Also working with the C721 model.  Numbers 5 and 6 are only working and it keeps happening.  Any advice on fixes would be great thanks.
  • Jackm43
    Jackm43 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I also work for a school district and having the same problem.  Only the 5 & 6 keys work on number row.  Nothing I've tried seems to clear the problem.  Is this a keyboard or motherboard issue?
  • Ingrid-Acer
    Hello @techmom9 and @Jackm43,

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I sent you a private message requesting some information in order to forward your issue to our support channel, please reply at your convenience.

Best Regards,
    Acer-Ingrid
  • Jackm43
    Jackm43 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Is this an issue that can be fixed locally or do they need to go to Acer for repair??
  • NRCSD
    NRCSD Member Posts: 1 New User

I too, am in a school district with a couple thousand R721T CB's. Many, many have the keyboard issue where only 5 and 6 work on the number line and the right arrow key also will not work. All other keys will work. Those of you where only 5 and 6 work on the number line, try the right arrow, I guarantee that will not work either. Acer denies that this is an issue and wont seem to help outside of the warranty.

• Ingrid-Acer

Hello NRCSD,

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I sent you a private message requesting some information in order to forward your issue to our support channel, please reply at your convenience.

Best Regards,

Acer-Ingrid

This discussion has been closed.