Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 - Can you disable power-off charging on the USB port?

ShangWang
ShangWang Member Posts: 186 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
edited April 2022 in Nitro Gaming

I'm talking about the port described above.
I plan to use the port for a microphone because all the other ports on my laptop are used for my keyboard and mouse.

I want to keep it plugged in all the time, so if I plug in the microphone while the laptop is off, will it really keep it powered on and waste the battery as long as it's plugged in?

Is there any way to disable this feature/will I not have to worry if it's not a phone that is plugged in?

I also read that some non-certified 3.0 devices might not work, is this something to worry about if I just want to plug in a non-chargeable device? What does this mean?

Does disabling "USB Selective suspend setting" not affect the power-off charging port/will it only work when the laptop is asleep?

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Open Acer Quick Access and turn off "Power off USB Charging".

• ShangWang
    Hi,
    Open Acer Quick Access and turn off "Power off USB Charging".

I see, is there any other way to turn it off without downloading acer quick access? Do you know if it's automatically off without the application/if any BIOS or power option setting will disable it and make it work like a normal USB port?
  • brummyfan2
    You don't have to download and install, go to search and type Acer Quick access and follow the instructions in the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlv9HZgyyK4
    https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/14128-power-off-usb-charging-feature
  • ShangWang
    You don't have to download and install, go to search and type Acer Quick access and follow the instructions in the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlv9HZgyyK4
    https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/14128-power-off-usb-charging-feature
    Yes, I mean I don't have Quick access installed and am wondering if I can disable the feature when I install it and then uninstall it and the affect will stay.
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Why do you want to uninstall it, Acer Quick Access application helps other hardware functions in your laptop, it's an Application especially made for your model.
  • ShangWang
    edited April 2022
    Why do you want to uninstall it, Acer Quick Access application helps other hardware functions in your laptop, it's an Application especially made for your model.
    Other than turning off the USB power option, it's annoying as it flashes the caps lock logo every time I use it, it's virtually useless for me and I just want to know if it keeps the options I enabled/disabled once I use it.
  • brummyfan2
    ShangWang said:
    Other than turning off the USB power option, it's annoying as it flashes the caps lock logo every time I use it, it's virtually useless for me and I just want to know if it keeps the options I enabled/disabled once I use it.
    It's a different issue disabling Caps Lock icon, it has nothing to do with Acer Quick Access.
  • ShangWang
    edited April 2022
    ShangWang said:
    It's a different issue disabling Caps Lock icon, it has nothing to do with Acer Quick Access.
    Though the caps lock icon along with other icons only show up if I install acer quick access, so that's why I don't want to deal with finding how to disable those icons while I have quick access just to disable the power-off USB setting. It doesn't save once I disable it and uninstall?
  • brummyfan2
    ShangWang said:
    ShangWang said:
    Though the caps lock icon along with other icons only show up if I install acer quick access, so that's why I don't want to deal with finding how to disable those icons while I have quick access just to disable the power-off USB setting. It doesn't save once I disable it and uninstall?
    Sorry, I don't know how to disable "Power-off USB charging" using an alternate method, please wait for someone else to reply, in the meantime I'll look for any other way to disable it.
  • You can keep quick access and assign a value of 0 to the OSD key:

That way, the icons will be disabled.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ShangWang
    edited April 2022
    You can keep quick access and assign a value of 0 to the OSD key:

That way, the icons will be disabled.

Thank you, I heard there is also a way to disable the use of quick access through task scheduler. I pretty much ONLY want to have usb-power off disabled without having quick access running whatsoever.

Do the options save even if I don't have quick access on startup? I noticed uninstalling and reinstalling the program resets the usb-power off option I ticked off, if I just tick it off and uninstall the program and never touch it again, will it save the option?

Do you know what exactly "power button" does? Can I disable both at Startup and this won't cause quick access to run in the background at all and still save the options I wanted? I'm guessing if I ever do launch quick access I have to stop all the processes in task manager to close it.
  • Thank you, I heard there is also a way to disable the use of quick access through task scheduler. I pretty much ONLY want to have usb-power off disabled without having quick access running whatsoever.

You can disable it via msconfig:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ShangWang
    edited April 2022
    Thank you, I heard there is also a way to disable the use of quick access through task scheduler. I pretty much ONLY want to have usb-power off disabled without having quick access running whatsoever.

You can disable it via msconfig:

Thanks, but do you know what exactly power button does and if it needs to be on startup too?

I also heard you can turn off power through the USB when the laptop is "off" through BIOS, does quick access change this BIOS setting directly when you tick off Power-off USB-charging, or is it something different? Does the Nitro 5 not have this option in BIOS?

Does turning off that option in BIOS affect only the blue power-off port, or all the ports? By "off" does it mean when the laptop is asleep too, or only shutdown?
  • Are you referring to this feature?

You can set the power button to sleep, shut down or sleep. But for this feature to work, you need to press the power button for three seconds!

I think this feature is only available when you unlock bios. This feature only affects the usb port that supports charging, when the laptop is powered off.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ShangWang
    Are you referring to this feature?

You can set the power button to sleep, shut down or sleep. But for this feature to work, you need to press the power button for three seconds!

I think this feature is only available when you unlock bios. This feature only affects the usb port that supports charging, when the laptop is powered off.

Yes, I'm talking about the power button feature, I don't have a use for it since I can just change what power buttons do in power options.

What BIOS feature are you referring to? The power-off USB or the power button?

I'm also guessing there's no option to turn off USB power-off since I tried looking in BIOS and it's not there.
  • I think this option should appear in one of these functions:
    httpspreviewreddittrisfvty6me61jpgwidth4032formatpjpgautowebps6adbf97dfb7cc0f4900a79d5c97ed64ed649c0e2
    However, I do not advise trying to unlock the bios, as it is very risky and can wall the notebook

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ShangWang
    I think this option should appear in one of these functions:
    httpspreviewreddittrisfvty6me61jpgwidth4032formatpjpgautowebps6adbf97dfb7cc0f4900a79d5c97ed64ed649c0e2
    However, I do not advise trying to unlock the bios, as it is very risky and can wall the notebook

Thanks, my BIOS advanced settings does not look the same as yours so I don't think I even have that option.

Other than this, I assume it's ok to disable both power button and quick start on task scheduler and the disabled power-off state will save even if I never open the access app again?
  • Why don't you disable both features through regedit?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ShangWang
    edited April 2022
    Why don't you disable both features through regedit?

Oh, I didn't know the power button was also a value that can be edited, I'm assuming this takes away the function entirely.

I'm assuming setting "UsbCharge" to 0 would also take away the function to power devices while the laptop is turned off? Should I do that? Would this permanently not allow USB power-off charging while the laptop is off even if I uninstall the app, or will it reset again?

I mean even if I put these values to 0 the app would still startup, so I'm asking if disabling them on task scheduler is completely ok and settings would save.
  • ShangWang
    Why don't you disable both features through regedit?

Hey, I tried setting the value of UsbCharge to 0, and it only seemed to remove the GUI from Quick Access, does it only do this as a visual effect, or does it actually disable UsbCharge completely?