Play Store says it isn't connected to wifi 513 SPIN 1H

BarrysBeau
BarrysBeau Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited May 2022 in Chromebooks
I have a new 513 SPIN 1H and Play Store says it isn't connected to wifi, when the machine is (I can do all other online activities).  I can get it to connect if I clear the Data Storage and it will work for that session, but as soon as I close the play store and reopen it again it says it isn't connected to WIFI.  I've powerwashed once and the problem persists, rebooting has no effect.  Disabling the Play Store and re-enabling has it work until all the apps are downloaded again and I close play store and then it comes back.

While this is more annoying than anything some of the play store apps also behave this way (Play Books for instance) saying I can't purchase a book because I'm not connected, but if I buy it through the web interface it downloads to the app just fine.

Anything I can do about this?  Other than this the machine is working just fine and I enjoy using it.

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Which OS version is installed? You can verify it's the latest by trying an update. My guess it's either a bug on the OS or some corrupted setting that will be fixed with an OS update.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BarrysBeau

Tinkerer

It just updated to:
    Your Chromebook is up to date
    Version 100.0.4896.93 (Official Build) (32-bit)

But the problem persists.  Hopefully you are right though that a future update will fix it.
  • BarrysBeau

Tinkerer

UPDATE:

I think I may have solved it.  As I experimented further I turned off the Play Store (which I have tried several times previously) but when I turned it back on this time I said NOT to back up the settings (all the other times I left that on, which appeared to be the default)  This is my second chromebook so I don't know if the settings from my previous machine were messing things up (it was installing all of those apps automatically), if one of those apps was the offender, or the back up process itself was causing the problem but for now it is working as it should.

• billsey
    Good to know, thanks for letting us on on it. :) If you mark the appropriate message as the solution this thread will come up higher in the list when someone else searches for the same issue.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BarrysBeau

Tinkerer

edited May 2022
    I have a further update.  After a blissful week or so the problem returned and after lots of experimenting I think I have a new candidate for the culprit.  Android System Webview.  Because the system works for a while after I deactivate and reactivate the play store, I thought maybe it is in the updates that occur after the initial install.  So I disabled auto update on apps.  There are 4 system type updates it wants to do that I am not updating.  Webview, Cloud Print, Contacts and Speech Services by Google.  I don't use the last three on the Chromebook, and I'm betting the Play Store uses Webview.  If this fix lasts, I'll gradually update the other 3 and if they don't mess it up then I know the culprit.  

Is it likely that when a new version of Webview is released (the current one is dated 4/26/22)  that the new version will solve the problem?
  • billsey
    It likely will be fixed with the next update or two, but you might have better luck if you posted on Google's support forums so they are sure to be aware of the issue.
  • BarrysBeau

Tinkerer

FINAL UPDATE:

I have now had everything working for several months and so I am virtually certain what the culprit was. Checking my father's gmail account without setting him up as a separate user (this works fine on a PC but they don't have an android integration yet). I deleted his account from Chrome and check his email using Opera (which is all I use Opera for). On one of my tries deleting and reinstalling the play store it asked me which account to use (mine or my dad's) which made me wonder if it was getting 'confused'.

I'm not sure why that was an issue, but that was the cure.