Why does Acer Nitro AN515-54 fan speed, cpu and gpu increase when plugged in charge?

evoke16
evoke16 Member Posts: 2 New User
My Acer Nitro laptop fan speed increases to about to 3600rpm on cpu and about 3200rpm on GPU. Im also using a program called throttlestop which undervolts CPU so it can decrease the fan speed and it did help becuase before it used to run about 4000rpm when it was plugged in and no game was running. The temprature also decreased alot going from 70 celsiusto 54 celsius. When its on battery its usually around 2200RPm CPU and 2000 GPU. Im just wondering does this happen to other Acer Nitro users? Could this be a problem or is it normal to increase Fan speed and temprature when plugging in charge.

Here are my specs:
System model - Nitro AN515-54
16 GB ram
Processor - Intel i7-9750H 2.60GHz, 2592Mhz (6 cores)
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660Ti

Best Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,761 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @evoke16 plugging the charger puts more power on both CPU and GPU so they will generate more heats.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The default power profile runs the laptop in higher energy mode when plugged in, allowing your games to run faster when not on the battery. You can tweak that to slow things back down if you wish...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • evoke16
    Answer ✓
    billsey said:
    The default power profile runs the laptop in higher energy mode when plugged in, allowing your games to run faster when not on the battery. You can tweak that to slow things back down if you wish...
    So what are some tweaks that can prevent the laptop from running at higher energy? other than turning passive mode on in the processor settings

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,761 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @evoke16 plugging the charger puts more power on both CPU and GPU so they will generate more heats.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • evoke16
    Answer ✓
    billsey said:
    So what are some tweaks that can prevent the laptop from running at higher energy? other than turning passive mode on in the processor settings
  • billsey
    You can create a custom power plan that tweaks just about every setting. Try running the CPU at a max of something less than 100% and see what that does. Same thing with the screen, drop the brightness to 50% and see what that does. It's going to be trial and error...
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @evoke16,

For Fan Speed
    The fans will automatically turn on when temperatures start going high i.e., when CPU is under load. Acer Nitro 5 cooling fans are, by default configured to turn on when the CPU starts to turbo boost due to load on its cores and as a result, the temperature gets high.

For CPU
    When on AC power your laptop allows the CPU to run at it's maximum TDP level and maximum turbo boost. When you unplug and use the battery, your laptop limits its TDP and turbo boost limit. In essence, your laptop is acting exactly as it should in terms of performance both on and off AC power.

For GPU
    Its completely normal. The reason the frames drop when unplugged is because the laptop was designed to preserve as much power as possible. More specifically it throttles down both the CPU and GPU to save power.