Aspire 3 A315-21 win drivers and other problems

seitsme
seitsme Member Posts: 11 New User
edited January 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hi all,

I post here hoping to get to a proper solution with an Aspire 3, A315-21 model which i bought secondhand without any operating system and more...
I bought the laptop as i wanted to use some software that dont run on the other platform i use. I have not used windows for at least 20 years and now i am back with same issues i dont want to look at... compatibility and other problems...

Laptop had broken LCD which not sure if was touch by factory, and i installed one used that i think is not touch one. There is no sata caddy as well and the laptop is placed in the compartment loose and hdd cover does not close well, possibly of broken plastic
or missing caddy to stabilise it.

I have 4GB ram as i see is onboard and have not upgraded it yet to an extra 8GB stick.
I have added one 250gb sata 5400rpm hdd and maybe i add one M2 ssd inside as well in future.

I started figuring out how was this model shipped from factory- features but still not sure...
I started downloading windows 10x64 versions from heidoc as could see popup menu with versions than
going to chaotic MS site to break my nervous system down without options etc.

So, i downloaded 4-5 versions that is. from latest to older ones.
I only managed, not sure how, use YUMI tool, like Rufus, to burn ver 1809 build 17763.107 on a usb stick
and i presume under some extra luck with correct bios settings ?! That was not a self-bootable ie wintogo USB
but a normal installer choice. Bios was in Legacy. I think hdd was formated NTFS not sure.

Setup loaded from usb but NO mouse, NO trackpad-touchpad response.
I managed to install win HOME x64 bit version with my favorite torture from the past...
using keyboard, TAB key navigation etc. I have had no mouse as i dont use one anymore.
I have not registered to ie pro version yet as not sure if this will cause further problems, so i stay with ´Home´ now.

All other versions did not load setup, they started and then reboot back to Grub menus or the usb installer choices.

When i got to the desktop, after 20 days reading and getting confused with Legacy, UEFI and EFI, i was lucky this old version
could show me the wifi networks around and connected to one, to continue my torture... Windows started autoupdating
and after maybe, 20 hours installing fixing rebooting, with some other errors, i got to version, i think H20 or H21.

This was installed and after a reboot, back in desktop screen with a popup error, my hardware has changed asking to reboot,
which always bringing back the same error when back to desktop.

I formated the HDD again and now i run again under 1809 with about 10 updates for 1809 only,
where i managed to switch off the wifi and stop here. I have no issues with date and time settings, but the cmos battery is missing
for reference and laptop is on electricity all times.

I cannot go further and update to avoid the error popup from H20 or H21.
I also tried other tools winToUsb etc. but had no luck at all.

I found the forum looking for some info and popped in to ask for help as i also tried to do a BIOS update
from legacy mode with ZAS125.exe and insyde program gave error -Mount the EFI system partition failed- then quit.

Other questions are:
1. what are the specs This model was supplied with, as new. Windows version installed and what bios mode was set UEFI etc.

2. How do i activate the Fn-key combination for wifi fn+F3 as i am not sure what it does as i see no feedback on the screen.
The wifi cards sticker says, QCA: nfa435A,  ver WW_C, 1 main 2 AUX. MSIP-CRM-ATH-QCNFA435, DDPPI ID: 39259/SDPPI/2015,
PLG ID: 1820, model QCNFA435. It is placed on the pcb socket but does not install in full length of it. Looks like a wifi card with less
contacts on pcb than the socket but works, mentioned for reference.

3. What is the best Bios (or UEFI) to use and re-install windows and which version to allow me recognise Touchpad during setup screen.
If other solution is needed for touchpad recognition please inform on steps to be taken. I copy files over 5GB to the windows and other OS´s.

4. What format type should i use for the HDD to allow smooth windows install.
5. Can i delete all other ie recovery partitions etc created by windows during installation, ie with diskpart and how to do it.

6. Is there a windows 64bit version that is higher than 1809 and works with a bootable usb.

I am not sure if usb sometimes fails to be recognised due to the program that is used possibly wrong ie rufus etc. with wrong formating
and i end up here as well.

7. Why in BIOS i get a message best install windows 8x when i change from legacy to uefi.
8. There are x2 TCP or TPM choices in BIOS boot menu. Do they have to be on or disabled. Do they affect installation further...

9. If you could give me 2 further choices for installation would appreciated furter on.
9a. one Legacy and allow over 4GB file operations and 64bit win10
9b. one UEFI and if i have to add manually items in that system database to allow installation.
Example. Use rufus, choose format ntfs, gpt, and burn winToGo or normal installer etc.

10. If i use ie H20 to do straight windows install on hdd, after installation, do i have to go through all lower updates or not.

11. RAM. What memory speed and type should i buy to work best with the on-board RAM speed modules, i presume.
Is there a way to tell from the ram stickers if is ie ECC or non-ECC and example please.

12. Does the BIOS update error -Mount the EFI system partition failed- indicates that i need to install win 64bit and
under uefi or uefi secured mode to update BIOS ok or not. Is it further related to the fact the cmos battery
is missing while i use electricity. I always have the laptop plugged in electricity.

How do i know if i need to download and run other BIOS programs from your support page.

14. Can i use other CMOS battery than ML1220 that is difficult to find and what battery you suggest.

Thats all for now... I am stuck waiting for your future replies back.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder
    @seitsme 2. Try to install the Wireless Lan Driver for the FN function to work.
    3. UEFI is preferred.
    4. NTFS is the format type for the partition and the HDD format should be GPT for UEFI Bios.
    5. The recovery partition is for the safe mode in case the Windows has some problem and is not recommended to delete it.
    6. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 here, download the installation media and choose getting the ISO file instead of burning it to the USB because it will make the installation for Legacy BIOS.
    7. Because UEFI won't work with Windows 7 and older.
    8. Doesn't really matter with the installation.
    11. DDR4-2400MHZ non-ECC. It is hard to tell but ECC is more expensive and usually has a chip in the middle.
    12. BIOS update error might be caused by Windows is not UEFI.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • 1 You need to inform the exact model. Example A315-21-328H.
    2 FN+F3 toggles the wireless network card on and off. You should check the function key behavior option in the bios.
    3 UEFI, but you must convert ssd to gpt and format to NTFS. About the touchpad, try changing to basic in bios and check if windows recognizes the device.
    4 You must convert to gpt and format in ntfs, changing the boot mode to uefi in the bios.
    5 Yes, you should delete all partitions until you have unallocated space. But this will remove all files.
    6 Yes. The latest version 21h2 is available at this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO. Let the program automatically configure the flash drive.
    7 I advise you to read this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS.
    8 These are security features. Leave activated!
    9 The windows installation program will configure the pendrive.
    10 About the term H2O, you are referring to the bios manufacturer, see InsydeH20 BIOS.
    11 About RAM, see this information
    Memory controller Built-in at CPU
    Memory size  2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB and 16 GB per memory socket 4 GB of on-board DDR4 or DDR3L system memory
    DIMM socket number 1 socket
    Supports maximum memory size 16 GB
    Supports DIMM type SDRAM memory interface design
    Supports DIMM Speed ​​DDR4 2666MHz, DDR4 2400MHz, DDR4 2133MHz, or DDR4 1600MHz SDRAM soDIMM Support DIMM voltage 1.2V Supports DIMM package 260-pin dual in-line memory module.
    12 To update the bios, the boot mode must be set to uefi! It is not related to the lack of cmos memory. However, on some systems, if the cmos battery is not installed, POST may show some errors before windows boots.
    13 You can download the latest version, as it already contains corrections from previous versions.
    14 You must purchase this battery

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • seitsme
    I reply to all users that answered below:

1- exact model is A315-21-49U with snid 73805330876
    2. There is no such function in BIOS to check i am affraid. I will try to observe what happens after i make higher version than 1800... win10 install and if not working again we see... Because most of fn-F key combinations in blue dont work, except
    the volume and brightness that work tested.

8. I will set them on as they were off and see if i go any further with installation.
    Until now i tried making bootable usb with Ventoy and looks like windows setup is loading with these settings off,
    and does not run when i have secure boot on. If UEFI only is selected or Legacy, now loads ok...
    10. i talk about the windows version H20 something... i forgot that code...

13. for the BIOS update, i will do the latest ver. I just see there are some other things to download ie patches etc.
    and not sure if the latest bios has these in or if i need to install them as well (or maybe not).

For the RTC battery i have to do some extra digging as i cannot find this battery anywhere in Sweden at the moment.
    Ebay EU looks a better choice.

Regarding the internal hdd, if i secure it on the enclosure, that is in the plastic not the caddy as i dont have it,
    i have to use tape to the bottom and this will remove the sata hdd label.
    On the other hand side, after i close the compartment secured poorly with one screw, i notice that after some time
    this compartment opens at the edges, like the hdd is ready to explode, although it is not, and i assume that maybe
    something is broken but cannot find evidence insofar...
    The hdd though is a bit higher i think and this is the reason the compartment does not close securely and opens.

Are there any acer tools i can install after win10 to update drivers and other things to make it as it was new.
    the previous owner removed all info as there was no hdd inside and i have nothing that may help the situation...

I bought extra 4GB cheap ram for 10euros and we see in future how things go. It is working until now ok.
    Going for some installation trials ... Thanks again.

--by the way, is there a way, to install ie win10, win8 and win 7 on same hdd and how to make them selectable choices before loading windows. Example i want a menu to appear and i go with arrows or enter numbers 1.2.3 for respective choice and
    then start loading win7 instead of booting with w10.

• 1 Ok!
    2 Some models do not have this feature in the bios. However, the fn keys only work if the drivers are installed. Check the device manager for any problem drivers.
    8 ok
    10 Are you referring to version 20h1 or 21h2? There is no WINDOWS H2O version!
    13 Windows update has a feature that updates the bios. Be careful!

About the hard disk, look for this support:

About the drivers, I usually use the DRIVERBOOSTER.

About installing another version of windows, yes it is possible. I advise partitioning the hard drive in disk management. Then install the new version of windows, in the unallocated space.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • seitsme
    edited January 2022
    1- for my model A315-21-49U with snid 73805330876
    how can i find the ie manual with spare parts like the one shown in your screenshots.
    can you send me a download url to get it etc. so i know what parts i need further to fix if any.

10- yes i refer to 20H1
    13- when i talk about bios update files i mean, should i download all items listed in Acer BIOS support page or not and which ones. I see other files like ie patch etc. and not sure if i have to do all of them and if yes which to run first.

i mean if i run the patch first will the bios update run ok, or i need to do bios first then patch etc.

How can i find acer software that was included as new with this laptop so i can operate it maybe better with updates etc.

thanks for all help insofar

• 1 These manuals are only available to ACE users. We can't share them!
    10 You can update windows to the latest version here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445
    13 No. You only need to download the latest version of the bios.

ACER CARE CENTER is able to update drivers as well.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• seitsme
    thanks for all replies some more Qs...

If after bios update i install the latest win 10 update ver, why do i have to download all other 15 or more past updates ?
    The ie older v1903 is about 16GB if i remember not sure, with 20H1 and latest, installs updates and windows i am affraid mayincrease its size on hdd, hope not 30GB, if these updates are so large capacity as well.

Is there a way to stop the rest updates and install only the latest one.

I downloaded the windows upgrade EXE file etc. but not sure what it does.
    Does it run ie autoupdate from earlier versions to the latest or just downloads minimal files needed for the ie latest ver installation, if i do that one first and then run the upgrade .exe file.

Where do i download the acer care center for my model. i searched on web and got one acercctool.exe but not sure if is for my laptop model and if for 64bit win.

i ask lot of questions and i try not to do many installs and re-installs due to mistakes beforehand...

thanks
  • If after bios update i install the latest win 10 update ver, why do i have to download all other 15 or more past updates ?

What updates are you referring to?

Is there a way to stop the rest updates and install only the latest one.

You can pause windows update via task manager.

Where do i download the acer care center for my model. i searched on web and got one acercctool.exe but not sure if is for my laptop model and if for 64bit win.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• seitsme
    thanks again. i downloaded the care center and big difference from what i downloaded yesterday... mine was 15MB approx and the one i got from your link was 80MB...

When i install ie windows and go to windows update to update some of the drivers already installed, in device manager, apart from some ones showing with the yellow triangle and need update, i click properties and update the driver. windows start downloading new driver it installs ok etc but the windows update program is also downloading all sorts of chaos for the laptop including OLDER than current windows version updates. If i have win10 2004, i see it downloads ie win10 2003 updates, 2002 etc and this goes forever... i waist so much time waiting for downloading etc. i feel i loose control of the situation.

BIOS update was ok without the cmos battery. Now with new bios ver, i downloaded 21H2 update and tried to do clean install of windows on empty hdd, but got error message at about 80% with a number. I saw that solution is to reset win update but i cannot do it as i run installer from usb... that is this version does not want to install even after clean-diskpart...

Should i keep the new BIOS options ie fastboot etc enabled as they are or disable if they affect win install setup program.
    I am under uefi with disabled secure boot, as it does not like it enable at all...

I go for the 21H1 now to try my luck and keep going downwards...

The only good thing is that 21H2 brought back my trackpad pointer in the first setup screen compared with missing pointer in older versions...

what do i have to do to pause the update permanently or allow it to download ONLY what i want to, that is selective and not the chaos it wants to and drive me crazy waiting for 20 files to download and never gets a ***** update...end !

In taskman i guess you click on the update and it pauses but will begin again ie after restart. If i am wrong what is the procedure for permanent stop of updates and activation when i want to.
  • I advise doing a fresh install of windows, erasing all partitions, until the disk is left with unallocated space. That way, there will be no remnants of previous installations. About the drivers, I usually download the DRIVERBOOSTER program to download the latest drivers.

Over fast boot, this feature skips some POST steps. You can leave it enabled. I advise enabling secureboot.

About critical and important windows updates, there is no way to select them. But you can pause updates.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• seitsme
    i started clean install with 21H1 and all went fine. After it started downloading updates, again,it replaced some drivers etc and now i am still downloading updates but my FN keys dont work for wifi and Zz (whats this -sleep ? does its operation get affected by the sleep off button settings or not) and the screen brightness.

what drivers should i download to fix these issues or where to go in device manager etc. to update or fix things further please.

• Are there any drivers with problems in the device manager?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• seitsme
    After initial install, the device manager in the usb section shows problems and I now confirm all my 21H1 looks updated BUT in some areas, i see atheros and realtek drivers together not sure if this is conflict though or not. in Other devices all show warning but after updates show ok.

I still see some drivers but not sure if i need those or are listed there as alternative to the ones i have. some have dates like 2017 for example but not sure which are my current drivers dates, later or earlier than ie 2017.

Can i uninstall all the so called cumulative updates listed usually as quality updates or not.
    I reached final 30GB size from 15 approx initial installation and laptop also is much slower than first w10 install

I also noticed that the FN wifi button in the past was switching off wifi, now switches airplane mode and want to change that as if airplane goes of and wifi was on when airplane mode was initially activated, wifi gets connected to wifi and dont like that, i want wifi on off with wifi button.

The FN brightness is now working compared to initial win install which did not dim the screen.

the FN Zz when pressed says Locking and what the hell that is now. I thought was ie sleep.
    it seems it shuts down the laptop. when i press the power button windows loads sign in screen and then i get logged in.

I also tried the 21H2 and at about 85% gave error so i abandoned after i tried the repair my pc etc which did not seem to detect the problem or showing no issues. I redownloaded and same issue.

If this goes on i am going for the linux nice days.

thanks again for past replies.
  • Let's take it easy. Can you send a screenshot from device manager?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• seitsme
    edited February 2022
    back again after long time. i managed to find a temporary solution and got a better install using only Ventoy utility and after updating the bios to 1.25 i always have to trackpad pointer on screen etc.

So i did not get any screenshot you asked for.

I lost patience and since then, i feel like a garbage windows slave under microsoft dictatorship etc with its defender or the security features that if you disable they switch on automatically back after nobody knows time, and this is irritating...

so i decided to install an internal chip ssd and erase windows 10.
    I installed the chip hard drive cannot remember is it nvme or something else, anyway, this ssd does not show in bios boot menu at all, even under windows 10 install.

i re installed ***** windows 10 again on the internal sata hdd and then only i saw a menu asking which one to boot from but had no labels just volume number and i got ***** off again with the low iq of software designers and other microsoft ***** enhancements...

I erased the sata hdd and tried to install windows 7 64 under uefi with secure boot off.
    I also added a cmos battery which works ok now.

I have 2 problems now.
    1- in bios i still cannot see the chip ssd to boot from and not in the boot menu f12.
    2- not sure which settings to use to be able to install win7 64 on sata hdd.
    I made 5 different usbs, some usb3, but i see win7 does not like these, so i stayed with 8, 16gb disks
    bootable with rufus.

One win7 ISO file i have is less than 4GB so should work but does not under uefi.
    I use rufus with GPT for uefi, tried fat32 and ntfs format and no chance.
    my sata hdd is now unallocated.

Two other ISO files are more than 4gb and in one time install i got error this is over 4gb file and cannot be installed.
    maybe was under Legacy boot.

How can i install win7 64 on this laptop now before i explode my nervous system completely please.
    and if possible what to do to show the chip ssd in the bios boot menu. Actually this bios has sata options
    but not for chip anywhere and not sure if can be treated as sata as it is not.

I used ventoy with win 7 and gets stuck in windows logo after animating it. I tried some manual fixes from
    websites extracting and copying to boot folder etc but does not work.

I used yumi grub with no luck, no luck with rufus.
    The worst is that i cannot boot from the ssd chip disk inside-bios nor windows start and try win7 install from there.

Thats all for now.
    If this wont work, i go for linux and say goodbye to ms garbage forever.

• Let's take it easy! Can you send a picture of the bios information tab? The ssd should appear in that tab.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer