Aspire 5 (A514-54G Can I set my GPU temperature limit to 80°C ? Is it safe?

ThomasMartinez
ThomasMartinez Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2022 in Aspire Laptops
      So I have an Acer Aspire 5 (A514-54G) with Intel Core i5-1135g7, Geforce MX350 2gb, and 4gb ram. I realized that my gpu will start throttling at 68°C (will start throttling after 2 minutes of playing) and that temperature limit was kind of low, making my games unplayable. Using Asus GPU Tweak III, I can change my temperature limit wherever I want, but I don't know what's the safe temperature for the gpu to run continuously for 1 and a half hour (PUBG) or 3 hours (Valorant). Btw I'm using a cooling pad under my laptop and I limited my cpu speed to 2.4ghz for lesser heat. Sorry for my english... 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Hi @ThomasMartinez,

When the temperature hits 80ish, gamers generally consider that as warm temps. As long as your temperature is below 90°C, then you are good.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder
    @ThomasMartinez what is your BIOS version? If it is under 1.20 then don't update it because many people complained this version can halt the performance. Safe temps for GPU would be 75C-80C
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Hi @ThomasMartinez,

When the temperature hits 80ish, gamers generally consider that as warm temps. As long as your temperature is below 90°C, then you are good.
  • ThomasMartinez
    ThomasMartinez Member Posts: 2 New User
    AnhEZ28 said:
    @ThomasMartinez what is your BIOS version? If it is under 1.20 then don't update it because many people complained this version can halt the performance. Safe temps for GPU would be 75C-80C
    Easwar said:
    Hi @ThomasMartinez,

Thank you for the time and effort for answering my question. My BIOS version is currently 1.20. But I don't like to downgrade my BIOS to avoid any problems (I have not experienced any problems after the update) and I am satisfied with it. Thanks again.
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder
    @ThomasMartinez the newest BIOS version is 1.24 so you can try updating it to see if they have fixed the performance issue.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!