Acer Monitor: Black Screen PE320QK bmiipruzx the screen goes and remains black despite my computer.

CyberGolem
CyberGolem Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited May 2023 in Monitors
Hi,

My monitor powers on —blue light and the floating ACER logo when it boots— but the screen goes and remains black despite my computer recognizing it's on. The menu buttons on the back don't seem to work (or they do and I simply can't see them) although the screen will sometimes post "DP ALT" in the top right corner, but it's not repeatable/consistent. I've tried hooking it up to two different machines using both available HDMI inputs but nada.
I've also tried unplugging it and holding the power button for 20 seconds but that didn't resolve anything either. 

Thanks in advance.

Acer PE320QK bmiipruzx 31.5" 16:9 Color Accurate HDR 4K UHD Monitor
Windows 10
Nvidia Titan X Pascal

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    Answer ✓
    CyberGolem

We need to narrow down the issue.   We need to find out whether it is the issue with computer or monitor. 

Please try to connect a different monitor to this computer and check whether it is working fine..    

We need to determine whether it is a computer related issue or monitor related issue. 

It might be a cable issue..   Remove all the cables from monitor.   Press and hold the power button of monitor for 1 min.    Connect all the cables back.  Try to turn on the monitor.   Connect the monitor to computer and check.  If the cable is non removable please don't try to remove it. 

Please remove the cable between monitor and computer.     Try to connect it back and check.    If possible try to use an alternative cable and check. 

If the problem persists try to use an alternative power cable and display cable and check.    Try to bypass the surge protector and connect the monitor directly to power outlet.    Try to connect monitor on a different power outlet or surge protector and check. 

On the monitor – use the control buttons.   There will be an option to reset monitor settings to default.    Try to reset the monitor and check.  

To isolate the issue, try to use the same monitor to a different computer and check  or  Try to use an alternative monitor on this computer and check.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    I think that DP-ALT is USB-C connected. I don't know how to disable it unless a USB -C cable is plugged into the monitor ?
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    Answer ✓
    CyberGolem

We need to narrow down the issue.   We need to find out whether it is the issue with computer or monitor. 

Please try to connect a different monitor to this computer and check whether it is working fine..    

We need to determine whether it is a computer related issue or monitor related issue. 

It might be a cable issue..   Remove all the cables from monitor.   Press and hold the power button of monitor for 1 min.    Connect all the cables back.  Try to turn on the monitor.   Connect the monitor to computer and check.  If the cable is non removable please don't try to remove it. 

Please remove the cable between monitor and computer.     Try to connect it back and check.    If possible try to use an alternative cable and check. 

If the problem persists try to use an alternative power cable and display cable and check.    Try to bypass the surge protector and connect the monitor directly to power outlet.    Try to connect monitor on a different power outlet or surge protector and check. 

On the monitor – use the control buttons.   There will be an option to reset monitor settings to default.    Try to reset the monitor and check.  

To isolate the issue, try to use the same monitor to a different computer and check  or  Try to use an alternative monitor on this computer and check.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Larryodie
    Maybe press the INPUT button on the monitor to AUTO SOURCE
  • Larryodie
    Acer Monitor User Manual/
  • CyberGolem

Tinkerer

Larryodie said:
    Maybe press the INPUT button on the monitor to AUTO SOURCE
    Thanks but unfortunately I can't see if any of the buttons are invoking anything. My guess is they are and I simply can't see them.
  • CyberGolem

Tinkerer

Larryodie said: I think that DP-ALT is USB-C connected. I don't know how to disable it unless a USB -C cable is plugged into the monitor ?
    I only have two HDMI cables plugged into it, no USB of any sort.
  • Larryodie
    Are you saying that you don't see the OSD Menu when pushing these buttons ? Try pushing the OSD button twice.
  • Larryodie
    The reset is on page 17 of the manual.

• CyberGolem

Tinkerer

CyberGolem

I'll give this all a go. I'm hoping it's something as simple as the cable. One of my machines is 14 years old, so the cable from it is a DVI-D to HDMI converter style and the other is my workstation using a longer cable, so it can reach the montor. In short, neither is using the OEM cables that came with the unit. I'll just have to reconfigure a setup so that my workstation can use it, since I purchased it for work... but that's not my problem ;)

Fingers crossed!
  • CyberGolem

Tinkerer

edited January 2022
    Larryodie said:
    Are you saying that you don't see the OSD Menu when pushing these buttons ? Try pushing the OSD button twice.
    Correct; the screen turns on (blue LED) and plays the green ACER logo followed by a white energy star logo, then flicks to black.

The OSD should appear no matter what, since it's independent from the rest of my setup, correct?
  • Larryodie
    You shouldn't have to have a cable attached to get the menu and do a reset. 
    Pages 8 forward in the manual that I posted. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Since the splash screen shows up we know the display itself is working. The DP Alt thing is, as suggested, a USB-C display mode, so it's likely cycling through modes and not seeing a signal on anything. That could be the cables or the main board in the monitor. How old is it? If still in warranty contact Acer support for some more hands on diagnosis.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CyberGolem

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Since the splash screen shows up we know the display itself is working. The DP Alt thing is, as suggested, a USB-C display mode, so it's likely cycling through modes and not seeing a signal on anything. That could be the cables or the main board in the monitor. How old is it? If still in warranty contact Acer support for some more hands on diagnosis.
    I purchased it in July 2020 but it's working now. As you (and WIlliam_mk2) have suggested, it was the DP cable. Attaching the OEM remedied it immediately, so I went to Microcenter and purchased a respective cable of appropriate length and my workstation is up and running again. Woot!

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate you taking the time to help me solve this. Going from a stand-in TV to this monitor feels great. The images are great.
  • billsey
    Good that it's back being useful again. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • OneWildWest
    OneWildWest Member Posts: 2 New User

This post descibes almost perfectly the problem I'm having. I've tried it on different computers and with different input cables (hdmi and DP, I don't have DVI cable).

Like above, the monitor comes on looking normal. The blue power light comes on, the ACER logo then the Energy Star Logos come on (backlit)…. Then just a black screen. BUT - both the computers I've hooked it to think it's there.??? Also like above, I cannot see anything when I hit the menu buttons.

I've tried many slight variations of the hold-down-the-power-button reset, and still I get a black screen.

This is an ACER CB281HK.

Any help is appreciated.

• billsey

What resolution does the computer think the monitor is at when you see the blank screen? It sounds like it's trying to send a display that the monitor doesn't actually support.

• OneWildWest
    OneWildWest Member Posts: 2 New User
  • billsey

And with it connected to a computer, the Settings; Display on the computer is saying the monitor is at 4K with the screen extended or cloned?