USB-C to HDMI adapter not working on Acer Aspire 5. Please help!!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Thanks for report. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• waleedk3
    waleedk3 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Following up to my post the other day, I am now successfully running two screens (in addition to the laptop screen) by using HDMI to VGA and USB 3.0 to VGA adapters on my Aspire 5, so it can be done on my model at least. For the USB to VGA, the driver had to be installed first.
    Hey, that's great news! We have the exact same Acer model. Can you send the link of exactly what adapters you purchased on Amazon.ca or anywhere else? I'll buy the same ones. I have HDMI to HDMI so I guess I would need USB 3.0 (laptop) to VGA (monitor) since USB-C is not working for ours.

How do you install the driver for USB to VGA?

Thanks in advance!
  • NilsKampen
    NilsKampen Member Posts: 3 New User
    Now I've purchased a USB3 A/C Dual DP adapter. This work perfectly so now I do have 3 screens. I can add one to HDMI as well if I had more monitors. Interesting about this is that it comes with an USB-C adapter. I thought I should try, and guess what it work also in the USB-c output despite what had been posted before. It can even handle extended view with the adapter I've got: <https://i-tec.pro/en/produkt/u3dual4kdp-2/>. It's probably not ideal for gaming, but for my home-office use, perfect
  • JackE

Thanks for your report. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• beanny
    beanny Member Posts: 3 New User
    NilsKampen could you elaborate on the adapter you bought? Can't seem to access your link.
  • laceys_mom
    laceys_mom Member Posts: 1 New User
    NilsKampen I am having the same issue as everyone else on the thread; would really like to take a look at the USB3 A/C Dual DP adapter you bought that resolved the issue for you. Can you send a working link or provide detailed product info (product name, make, model,etc.)? thanks 
  • chrissy_a
    chrissy_a Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    JackE said:
    What is your full Aspire 5 model number A51x-xx? Some models do and some don't support USB-C video out or dual independent external displays. Jack E/NJ
    Is there a page where I can look up this information and confirm whether or not my model supports video out? (A515-56-721L)
  • JackE

Jack E/NJ

• chrissy_a
    @JackE sorry, only just seen this reply. thanks for your help!
  • JackE
    Let us know if you try one of the adapters recommended by other users

Jack E/NJ

• chrissy_a
    edited February 2022
    I've only just got round to looking into this. Tried a Club 3D and got no joy :'( . Not on the list but had hoped it would work because it is marked as being "active". Interestingly the error message seems to blame the device rather than the PC

• JackE
    What's the rest of the troubleshooting info say?

Jack E/NJ

• chrissy_a

I don't think any of them apply. Have tried connecting to lots of different devices and no joy
  • JackE
    edited February 2022
    The Club3D link doesn't work for me. Is this a USBC-  or USBA3-to-DisplayPort signal converter or an HDM-to-DisplayPort converter? Post a screenshot of the advertisement so I can tell what model it is.

Jack E/NJ

• chrissy_a
    Hmm, just double checked the link and it's not broken. Here's the ad
  • JackE
    The error message thinks a DisplayPort signal monitor is attached. You must change the monitor menu option to an HDMI signal monitor. Your monitor should have menu to pick either DisplayPort signal input or HDMI signal input or even VGA signal input. You want HDMI signal input.

Jack E/NJ

• chrissy_a
    There is no reason for it to think it's a DisplayPort device. My setup is PC -> That adapter -> HDMI-VGA adapter -> monitor VGA. Monitor has DP input but VGA is selected as input.
  • JackE
    >>>That adapter -> HDMI-VGA adapter >>>

Sorry. This setup won't work. The Club3D signal converter that you got outputs an HDMI signal. Not a VGA signal. Your passive HDMI-VGA plug adapter  is not a signal converter. Your old VGA monitor needs a VGA signal but it is only seeing an HDMI signal through your HDMI-to-VGA plug adapter. Club3D might actually sell an USBC-to-VGA signal converter to make your old VGA monitor work.

Jack E/NJ

• chrissy_a
    Ahh I see, in my technical ignorance I assumed adapters and signal converters were interchangeable terms. Currently I have one monitor which is the same setup minus the Club3D so I assumed I could do the same plus the Club3D and it would still work.

I've bitten the bullet and ordered one of the i-tecs from the post above and will return the Club3D
  • JackE
    >>>Currently I have one monitor which is the same setup minus the Club3D so I assumed I could do the same plus the Club3D and it would still work.>>>

I'm confused now. Is this the same monitor? What PC are you using the HDMI-to-VGA plug adapter?

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.