Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 Stripped heatsink screw

Answers

• ShangWang
    ShangWang Member Posts: 186 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    JackE said:
    The easiest and cheapest way is order a laptop screw kit for less than $10 which contains hundreds of different size screws that are commonly used inside and outside all laptops. Google search 'laptop screw kit' for vendors who ship to your location

Yep, thank you. That's exactly what I did.
    I was just wondering if the kit I bought had the exact screw you mentioned that fit my hard drive.
  • ShangWang
    JackE said:
    The M3x3 size. You have 50 of them.

Thanks! Just to be sure if I wanted to get a screw for that hard drive, it would be EXACTLY M3x3? No other screw size like M3x2 would fit and it's this one you're talking about?

• ShangWang
    edited January 2022
    ShangWang said:
    JackE said:
    The easiest and cheapest way is order a laptop screw kit for less than $10 which contains hundreds of different size screws that are commonly used inside and outside all laptops. Google search 'laptop screw kit' for vendors who ship to your location

Yep, thank you. That's exactly what I did.
    I was just wondering if the kit I bought had the exact screw you mentioned that fit my hard drive.
    Also this is the one I bought, they're almost exactly the same but these are made of alloy steel, is there any real difference and does it matter?
    500 PCS Laptop Notebook Computer Screws Kit Set with Screwdriver for IBM HP Dell Lenovo Samsung Sony Toshiba Gateway Acer : Amazon.ca: Electronics

I tried looking at the one you sent me, it's $28.20 CAD! No idea how you found such a cheap price! Just wondering is this in the US?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited January 2022
    >>> tried looking at the one you sent me, it's $28.20 CAD! No idea how you found such a cheap price! Just wondering is this in the US? >>>

It was just an example. Dozens of manufacturers and vendors offer these kits. As previously mentioned, google search laptop screw kit for vendors who ship these kits to your location. Choose the cheapest vendor for you. Prices vary from country to country. Region to region. They are not the same price worldwide. And it doesn't have to be the exact same kit.  And no, you don't have to have the exact same length M3 screw. It could be an M3x2mm or M3x3mm  or M3x4mm. As long as it threads easily and holds the drive in place. And no, it doesn't matter if they alloy steel, stainless steel, black coated steel or zinc coated galvanized steel.

In my laptops, I don't even use these screws and metal brackets to immobilize and protect the drive. They're not needed. I instead prefer to use only anti-static foam inside the laptop cases to immobilize and protect the drive. Foam works fine.

Jack E/NJ

• ShangWang
    edited January 2022
    JackE said:
    >>> tried looking at the one you sent me, it's $28.20 CAD! No idea how you found such a cheap price! Just wondering is this in the US? >>>

It was just an example. Dozens of manufacturers and vendors offer these kits. As previously mentioned, google search laptop screw kit for vendors who ship these kits to your location. Choose the cheapest vendor for you. Prices vary from country to country. Region to region. They are not the same price worldwide. And it doesn't have to be the exact same kit.  And no, you don't have to have the exact same length M3 screw. It could be an M3x2mm or M3x3mm  or M3x4mm. As long as it threads easily and holds the drive in place. And no, it doesn't matter if they alloy steel, stainless steel, black coated steel or zinc coated galvanized steel.

In my laptops, I don't even use these screws and metal brackets to immobilize and protect the drive. They're not needed. I instead prefer to use only anti-static foam inside the laptop cases to immobilize and protect the drive. Foam works fine.
    I see, no problem! Though I would think a M3x4 might not screw all the way to the base and therefore not actually fully secure the drive. Wouldn't this be an issue or are the holes manufactured to be a lot deeper so longer screws can fit all the way in?

Was just more so curious what country you saw these screws from.
  • JackE
    Looks like an Amazon USA page. I just googled laptop screw kit. It probably was the first one I saw.

Jack E/NJ

• ShangWang
    JackE said:
    Looks like an Amazon USA page. I just googled laptop screw kit. It probably was the first one I saw.
    I see, do you know if the laptop screw holes are designed to take screws that are slightly longer? Screwing it in won't end up with the head sticking out?
  • JackE
    Yes, of course. You have to judge for yourself if the screw is too long or too short for a closed screw hole vs open screw hole.

Jack E/NJ

• ShangWang
    JackE said:
    Yes, of course. You have to judge for yourself if the screw is too long or too short for a closed screw hole vs open screw hole.
    I'm not sure about what the difference is, can you briefly explain and which screw hole that would be for a drive?
  • JackE
    The M3 screws are for  the drive. The M2 and M2.5 are used elsewhere on the mainboard like for the one you stripped. The M3 screws are fatter than the M2 and M2.5 and won't fit these other parts of the mainboard.

Jack E/NJ

• ShangWang
    JackE said:
    The M3 screws are for  the drive. The M2 and M2.5 are used elsewhere on the mainboard like for the one you stripped. The M3 screws are fatter than the M2 and M2.5 and won't fit these other parts of the mainboard.
    Thank you, but what do open and closed holes mean?
  • JackE
    A closed screw hole or nut will stop the screw from going any further. An open screw hole or nut will allow the screw to pass thru the entire nut. 

Jack E/NJ

• ShangWang
    JackE said:
    A closed screw hole or nut will stop the screw from going any further. An open screw hole or nut will allow the screw to pass thru the entire nut. 
    Thank you! I'm assuming the drive screw hole is an open one and that's why you said it will fit a M3X4.
  • JackE
    Don't assume anything! Look at it to be sure it's a clear, through hole. Make there's nothing on the other side of the hole that the screw might damage. Use a magnifying lens and a flashlight if necessary to look inside the hole. If you feel the screw meets resistance before fully securing the drive, STOP!  It might be hitting something.

Jack E/NJ

• ShangWang
    JackE said:
    Don't assume anything! Look at it to be sure it's a clear, through hole. Make there's nothing on the other side of the hole that the screw might damage. Use a magnifying lens and a flashlight if necessary to look inside the hole. If you feel the screw meets resistance before fully securing the drive, STOP!  It might be hitting something.
    Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.
  • ShangWang
    JackE said:
    Though based on what you said about M3x4 fitting and from my memory I think it's a open screw hole but I will of course check.
  • ShangWang
    JackE said:
    Hello again, after experimenting with the screws, it seems that the heatsink screw sizes are M2X5, not M2X4. The drive screws are also completely different sizes, they seem to be closest to M2X3, none of the screws in my kit fit the exact one.

I had already closed up my laptop after screwing in the heatsink screw before I realized the one I had was a bit shorter. Luckily it seemed to fit snuggly enough. Is there any issue with a screw being slightly shorter than it's supposed to be? Does it really matter as long as it seemed to fit snuggly, or will it fall out easier?
  • JackE
    Should be OK if they seem to fit snuggly. You don't want to overtighten any of these fine thread screws. Not necessary.

Jack E/NJ

• ShangWang
    edited February 2022
    JackE said:
    Should be OK if they seem to fit snuggly. You don't want to overtighten any of these fine thread screws. Not necessary.
    Thanks, I'm also guessing the head size should not matter as long as the screw fits in and the head doesn't get in the way of closing the laptop. As you already mentioned longer screws should be fine as well, and may be actually better if it's an "open" screw hole, as this will add extra tightness, or does it not help?

Is the possibility of looseness the same for both scenarios, or is there a difference if it's shorter/longer?
  • JackE
    Very fine thread screws need only a few threads to firmly engage. I prefer shorter screws due to the possibility of overlooking a closed hole.   

Jack E/NJ