Has anyone else had a problem with downloading windows 11 - acer aspire 5

Rabb888
Rabb888 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited January 2022 in Windows 11
Brand new acer aspire 5 1tb ssd model. 
After downloading windows 11 automatically it no longer shows Wi-Fi anywhere on the laptop. The fingerprint recognition is also not recognised. After speaking to acer tech support I was told at present it wasn’t compatible. He talked me through setting it back up as windows 10 but got stuck as Wi-Fi was needed. Disappointed.     

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    does the adapter show in device manager? It may not be offically supported but the driver subsystem is almost the same so it _should_ work
  • Rabb888
    Adapter was under hidden, so clicked on it & deleted it etc as directed by tech support & still didn’t rectify problem & so told me to do a full reset back to windows 10. Couldn’t do a a driver update or rollback. It just seem to knock it out. When I asked tech support would it happen again, he just said yes until windows gets it sorted. It was only built in October 
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Is it showing in the devices now or is it missing now?
  • Rabb888
    It was there but still wouldn’t connect. There was only Ethernet connection. For some reason you couldnt click on connect to the internet as it had all gone. We deleted the adapter & then rebooted but nothing happened. That’s when support told me to do a full reset back to windows 10. Even after rebooting back to windows 10 & setting up it faltered at the internet set up point due to no adapter. It was as if I had removed it from laptop. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Was anything else being flagged in Device Manager? The WiFi adapter sits behind a PCIe internal slot and there may have been a low lever driver acting up.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rabb888
    The network adapter was hidden. This was located & deleted as was told to by the acer tech guy. & rebooted. We went through a few procedures when tech guy said to do a full reset. Unfortunately the reset didn’t seem to work either. When re setting up it got as far as the network part & just stopped. It was as if I had taken the network adapter out. Very disappointed as I was waiting ages to get this specific laptop. I’ve now returned the laptop. 
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    My first thought is a cable issue but is moot now.
  • Bart94
    Bart94 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the exact same issue. I can also not install the drivers from online. Really bad!
  • Rabb888
    Yes it’s as if I’d had taken hardware & software out.  I sent it back in the end & wait until it comes with windows 11 already installed 
  • padgett
    What does Device Manager say about Network Adapters ?

If not in device manage, it is not there.

• Rabb888
    Originally it was I. Device manager , but hidden. 
    Tech guy said to delete then reboot.  After reboot nothing. So had to do a full reset back to windows 10. After set up was complete & you start putting in your personal settings, IE. Microsoft account cotta o etc. When it got to setting up network, the only option was Ethernet 
  • padgett
    Had the same thing happen. Had to skip network and install rest. After complete then install updates.
  • Rabb888 said:
    Brand new acer aspire 5 1tb ssd model. 
    After downloading windows 11 automatically it no longer shows Wi-Fi anywhere on the laptop. The fingerprint recognition is also not recognised. After speaking to acer tech support I was told at present it wasn’t compatible. He talked me through setting it back up as windows 10 but got stuck as Wi-Fi was needed. Disappointed.     

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Yes this is the usual Microsoft thing with all their new OS’s, they use consumers as Guinea pigs, there is nothing that Acer can do this is a Microsoft thing as Win-11 soul;d have been sorted already with compatible drivers!

• padgett
    As mentioned once Win 11 installed I was able to go into Device Manager and reinstall the WiFi. Then proceed with updates. It is easy to say a PC cannot been made to work. Actually on mine it was an Intel driver that needed reloading.
  • MrBang92
    MrBang92 Member Posts: 1 New User
    hi, ive been having issues with the windows update too. ive tried everything windows told me to try but with zero luck