Can I use ssd M.2 PCIe Gen4 for ACER DESKTOP TW ASPIRE TC-1660-1148G1T0Mi/T006?

Ksw_numed
Ksw_numed Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I don’t know mb spec. Should I buy ssd m.2 gen3 or gen4?

Best Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @Ksw_numed

As far as I know, your TC-1660 is specific to the Thailand/Nepal region. The PC has PCIe 4.0 motherboard and B560 chipset, 1TB spinning HDD, 1 M.2 slot for NVMe SSD and 1 M.2 slot for Wi-Fi/BT. The TC-1660 will be still slow using spinning HDD, so an upgrade to NVMe SSD is almost a MUST.

I have a desktop with B560 motherboard too, but it has multiple M.2 slots for NVMe SSD. Only one M.2 slot is for gen 4 M.2 NVMe SSD.

I'll advise you to visit the www.userbenchmark.com site to run a benchmark of your PC and check on possible upgrade for storage, see if a gen 4 NVMe SSD ( such as SS 980 Pro, WD SN850, Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus) is possible.

One dumb method is to buy both gen 3 and gen 4 drives from a seller with liberal return policy and just keep one. I tend to believe your TC-1660 can only use gen 3 NVMe SSD.

I have yet to get some confirmations from TC-1660 or XC-1660G-UW93 users whether their PC can use gen 4 M.2 SSD. Please report back whether your PC is limited to gen 3 M.2 SSD.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @Ksw_numed

As I rethink your case, probably you can use both gen 4 and gen 3 NVMe SSD. This is based on the assumption that you will not add a dedicated graphics card to the PCIe 4.0 x16 slot for faster graphics.

To use this x16 slot and gen 4 NVMe SSD, you may need an PCIe NVMe SSD adapter or adapter-heat sink like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GFDVXVJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0876MLNY6/?coliid=I1O1FYJW1BOMXU&colid=1E0PSG9CALTDD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I have been using things like this for my other desktop, putting different Linux versions to the x16 slot with different adapters. NVMe drive in the x16 slot is bootable.

For the other gen 3 M.2 NVMe SSD, you probably can use it in the still open M.2 slot.

Time to get some cloning software and ready to clone from the existing 1TB HDD to these gen 3 or gen 4 NVMe drives now.

Once again, let me know how it worked out.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @Ksw_numed

What? Do you mean you have PCIe 3.0 x16 slot? If so, it will be a surprise for me. How sure are you about this.

Does your TC-1660 using i5-11400 CPU now? If so, it must be having PCIe 4.0 motherboard.

I am not surprise the M.2 slot is for PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe SSD.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @Ksw_numed

I have to admit Acer really got something special, using the B560 chipset that will enable 11th gen Intel CPU but still having PCIe 3.0 motherboard bus.

Here is my motherboard info.

So, we can be sure that TC-1660 will only support PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe SSD.

Thank you for the following up information, and this TC-1660 M.2 NVMe SSD questions is cleared.

Answers

• ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @Ksw_numed

As far as I know, your TC-1660 is specific to the Thailand/Nepal region. The PC has PCIe 4.0 motherboard and B560 chipset, 1TB spinning HDD, 1 M.2 slot for NVMe SSD and 1 M.2 slot for Wi-Fi/BT. The TC-1660 will be still slow using spinning HDD, so an upgrade to NVMe SSD is almost a MUST.

I have a desktop with B560 motherboard too, but it has multiple M.2 slots for NVMe SSD. Only one M.2 slot is for gen 4 M.2 NVMe SSD.

I'll advise you to visit the www.userbenchmark.com site to run a benchmark of your PC and check on possible upgrade for storage, see if a gen 4 NVMe SSD ( such as SS 980 Pro, WD SN850, Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus) is possible.

One dumb method is to buy both gen 3 and gen 4 drives from a seller with liberal return policy and just keep one. I tend to believe your TC-1660 can only use gen 3 NVMe SSD.

I have yet to get some confirmations from TC-1660 or XC-1660G-UW93 users whether their PC can use gen 4 M.2 SSD. Please report back whether your PC is limited to gen 3 M.2 SSD.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @Ksw_numed

As I rethink your case, probably you can use both gen 4 and gen 3 NVMe SSD. This is based on the assumption that you will not add a dedicated graphics card to the PCIe 4.0 x16 slot for faster graphics.

To use this x16 slot and gen 4 NVMe SSD, you may need an PCIe NVMe SSD adapter or adapter-heat sink like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GFDVXVJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0876MLNY6/?coliid=I1O1FYJW1BOMXU&colid=1E0PSG9CALTDD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I have been using things like this for my other desktop, putting different Linux versions to the x16 slot with different adapters. NVMe drive in the x16 slot is bootable.

For the other gen 3 M.2 NVMe SSD, you probably can use it in the still open M.2 slot.

Time to get some cloning software and ready to clone from the existing 1TB HDD to these gen 3 or gen 4 NVMe drives now.

Once again, let me know how it worked out.
  • Ksw_numed

Tinkerer

edited January 2022
    My B560 MB has single m.2 NVMe 3.0 slot and PCIe3.0 slot. So I bought ssd m.2 gen3. Thank you for your help.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @Ksw_numed

What? Do you mean you have PCIe 3.0 x16 slot? If so, it will be a surprise for me. How sure are you about this.

Does your TC-1660 using i5-11400 CPU now? If so, it must be having PCIe 4.0 motherboard.

I am not surprise the M.2 slot is for PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe SSD.
  • Ksw_numed

Tinkerer

• Ksw_numed

Tinkerer

This is my mainboard.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @Ksw_numed

I have to admit Acer really got something special, using the B560 chipset that will enable 11th gen Intel CPU but still having PCIe 3.0 motherboard bus.

Here is my motherboard info.

So, we can be sure that TC-1660 will only support PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe SSD.

Thank you for the following up information, and this TC-1660 M.2 NVMe SSD questions is cleared.