Screen covered in horizontal and vertical lines on wake ED273URPbidpx

jonnyreading
jonnyreading Member Posts: 8 New User
edited January 2022 in Monitors
I've got an Acer ED273URPbidpx monitor that's exhibiting some strange horizontal and vertical lines when waking from being inactive for roughly a day or more. It happens with or without any inputs connected so is not a graphics issue as far as I'm aware.
The lines start off completely blocking anything being visible, then slowly clear over the course of 5 - 10 minutes, and at some point will suddenly snap to normal. Anyone experienced anything similar? Is there something I can try or is it destined to be sent off for repair?

Pictures of issue attched.
Thanks!

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Could you please try these one by one:
    1.Connect the laptop to an external display like TV or another PC with a HDMI cable and see whether it looks the same.
    2.While these lines appear move the panel to different positions and check whether there are any changes.

Hi,
    1. Plugging the laptop into my TV shows no issues whatsoever, so I don't think it's a problem with the laptop or the HDMI cable.
    2. Moving the monitor to different positions doesn't seem to have any affect
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Results from 1 shows that your driver has no issues and nothing wrong with your system, 2nd results shows that the cable connection is fine, you can visually check the cable for any damage but most probably you may have to replace the panel, anyway wait for the suggestion from @billsey as well.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Hi,
    1.Connect the laptop to an external display like TV or another PC with a HDMI cable and see whether it looks the same.
    2.While these lines appear move the panel to different positions and check whether there are any changes.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Since your monitor isn't a laptop I'll step in. :) Those do not look good though. Do they also show up if you are not connected to the computer? If so it's definitely hardware and you need to open a ticket with Acer or swap it with your vendor. If they only show while connected to the computer we will need to look at your video card, drivers and cabling. First step to do that is boot into the BIOS and see if they are present there as well.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jonnyreading
    Hi,

Hi,
    1. Plugging the laptop into my TV shows no issues whatsoever, so I don't think it's a problem with the laptop or the HDMI cable.
    Thanks
  • billsey
    Do they show up in the splash screen when you first turn the monitor on?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • brummyfan2
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi,

Hi,
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Results from 1 shows that your driver has no issues and nothing wrong with your system, 2nd results shows that the cable connection is fine, you can visually check the cable for any damage but most probably you may have to replace the panel, anyway wait for the suggestion from @billsey as well.
  • jonnyreading
    Hi,
    Yes I get the lines on the splash screen when turning on the monitor, so I guess that points pretty conclusively to a hardware issue?

Thanks
  • billsey
    Since you get the issue even in the splash screen the issue has to be in the monitor itself, not in the video source or the cabling. :(
  • jonnyreading
    Thanks for everyone's help - I've booked the panel in for repair with Acer
  • billsey
    Let us know how it comes out.
  • jonnyreading
    billsey said:
    Let us know how it comes out.
    Have got the monitor back now, it looks like the LCD panel and Main DB were replaced.

The power cable that I included in the box has not been returned though, so I can't actually use it and confirm it's working again until I get that back. So far no response to my emails :angry:
  • billsey
    Dang it... Just the power cable itself, or the whole brick and cable?
  • jonnyreading
    The whole thing unfortunately, it's noted on the maintenance form as included in the box I sent. Still no acknowledgment through email, I'll give them a little more time before trying to escalate it over the phone
  • billsey
    Let us know how much effort it takes... We really only see feedback on them when someone has an issue, so don't know how representative that is.
  • jonnyreading
    It's been a while, but I'm finally able to provide an update. Two and a half months on, after many, many emails and phonecalls, I've received a replacement power adapter. This is in fact the third parcel I've been sent, having been sent two other power adapters that weren't for the monitor. Not sure how or why I ended up with those.

I found the customer service to be largely useless: I was not kept informed at any point in the process, despite their stated intentions to let me know what was happening. I had to keep on pressing repeatedly for more information and for things to get moving. Luckily I work from home, or I wouldn't have been in to take the deliveries that did come as I wasn't told if or when they were arriving. That includes the delivery of the actual monitor, the only reason I knew that was coming was because the delivery service contacted me to say that my address wasn't on the box (only had my name, phone number and post code, no street address) and would be delivered late.

What an exhausting, maddening, ridiculous process. Safe to say I'll steer well clear of Acer products in the future after this experience, though I am at least very relieved it's all resolved now and that my monitor is (finally) working again.

0 out of 5 stars.
  • billsey
    Thanks for the feedback. Might I ask which locale you are in? We've heard stories about some service centers being less ... robust than others.
  • jonnyreading
    I'm in the UK, Scotland if that makes a difference