I Feel So Old

Member Posts: 5 New User
Hey everyone. I’m 47 now and browsing the discussions, not only do I feel way older than I am, I feel like I’m a character on “LOST”.  Back when I was going to Penn State, I was learning about DOS. NOW, you can download that onto your laptop as if it were nothing at all. (I probably didn’t even say that right). He$&, my first computer was an Atari 800XL. But, over the years, I’ve been pulled away from technology. I took the exit ramp years ago, waved to my son as he sped by, and now I’m trying to get back on the tech highway. I was just starting to understand my Android phone when my wife switched me over to an iPhone. Now, I have that and a Chromebook. It’s kinda cool because it’s like my phone. I really want to use it for a few things but I’m even lost trying to figure out what are the right programs for me. Honestly,I want to use it for more than my initial desires of research and writing while listening to music. I’m ready to get a typewriter. How can someone like me be introduced into this new world I’m seeing and unlock the potential that lies within? 

Comments

• OhBazza
    OhBazza Member Posts: 20 Networker
    First thing you can do is just start using google search to research the things you'd like to know more about.

Second you can otherwise order books on the subjects, amazon is the easiest way to get a book on almost every topic, there's also coding learning apps like the one i used to learn python called - sololearn  . it explains coding and teaches you the absolute basics (i love that it explains it so that literally a 5 year old could understand it haha) all the way up to the expert stuff. (i was impressed as i had zero knowledge of coding ) and today i finishing writing my first command miner (for crypto currency) and it actually runs haha.

So it was pretty nice. now I'm scouring the internet for knowledge and to help people on topics I'm knowledgeable in . i forgot about the acer community until like 3 days when my nitro 5 fan started being wonky. then I couldn't find some info and then figured it out and decided to share on here today about how i fixed it because it seems to be a big problem with fans, but it really just needs a super cleaning aha..

hope this helps and i hope you have a great time in this new age of technology <3
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited December 2021
    First problem is that you switched from Windows or Linux to an iPhone and  Chromebook. These devices are for people who do not like computers. I think of them as "user-stupid".
    If really want to learn then Google Linux on a Chromebook, it is dual boot capable. Personally have been using Kali Linux for years since it has so many interesting tools. It will teach you things you may not want to know.

ps played first computer game in 1957. You are just a kid.