Acer Aspire 5742G overheating

poupas
poupas Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello everyone,

Ive got a huge problem with my laptop. Its an acer aspire 5742G, and since i got him, i cant play any games, because of the lag spikes, games stopped working and the existence of artifacts.

After a while i saw that maybe the main problem is that my gpu's temperature is very high (around 90ºC while playing, and 50ºC not doing anything). I think cleaning the dust inside the laptop wont do any good since im having these issues when i bought the PC.

Ive got the laptop in 1 year and 4 months so i guess the warranty wont save me.

Can you please tell me some solutions that could actually decrease the temperature of the GPU (its a Nvidia Geforce 540M)? I though buying a cooler pad but i dont know if its worth it.

Thanks for everyting

Pedro Gomes

Answers

• davidgreene
    davidgreene Member Posts: 16 New User

Get it opened up and cleaned. The air passages might be clogged. Or you might have defective fan or heatsink. It needs you to get a technician to do that. You can also try installing RadarSync and scan your computer with it so that you will know if there are any drivers which need some updates. Updating them would increase the performance of your computer's hardware parts. 

• poupas

Ok ill try that to see if i get any good results.

Thanks davidgreene

• poupas

It actually didnt help much.. All my drivers were already updated and i couldnt clean the laptop since i got no experience doing so....

Well since the computer is in warranty ill send it to the store and maybe they can repair it ^^

Either way thanks davidgreene for your patience and time

Pedro Gomes 

• n2gc
    n2gc Member Posts: 104 Troubleshooter

I have read that the 5742s have a overheating problem. Not all, but many. You might Google

"Acer aspire 5742 overheating" and read some on it. I just bought a used one and didn't

know this, so if the one I get does this, I'll pull it apart, clean the radiatoe, reset the

chip and apply aome Gelid Extreme thermal paste on the core ans replace the pad with

a gigh end silicon pad. I believe the problem may be the 35 watt chjp if an Intel and theres

not much that can be done with that. An update to the latest BIOS might help.

I wish the 4th Gen Intel cores would go in. I believe they run at 15 watts. I'll let you

know how my 5742 comes out.

• n2gc
    n2gc Member Posts: 104 Troubleshooter

Also after applying the new compound, one can drop down power options for the chip by

going into control panel > power options > advance options > and adjust processor

power usage from 100% down to around 80% and that should drop temps down to a

endurable environment.

This discussion has been closed.