Duel boot Aspire es13-332-c5kn

66Drew66
66Drew66 Member Posts: 70 Troubleshooter
edited October 2023 in Aspire Laptops
Hi, Ive been left my mothers laptop an aspire es13-332-c5kn with 32Gb of emmc memory.

I want to duel boot with Linux lite as the update for win10 has expired(2017) why this laptop was only sold with 32Gb of memory I don't know.

I have added a 1Tb ssd which is shown in the boot menu.

After some difficulty I managed to partition and install Linux lite 5.4.

On restart the system booted into win10.

Ive set boot list to USB device, ssd, win10 boot manager.

Ive set secure boot to custom.

Ive set F12 to show on boot.

Ive tried easybcd and Linux Lite shows but is grayed out as this function is not allowed.

Is there any way to duel boot with this system.

If not if i delete win10 and install Linux Lite to the emmc memory will this work as a stand alone Linux system. I not bothered about keeping win10 as its out of date and other software is beginning not to support this version.

Answers

• 66Drew66
    Ive now installed Grub2 win when it restarts, win10 over writes the Grub2 win settings and loads win10 again.

Help
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    In many Linux installation distros, you must first set and save a BIOS supervisor password. Then reenter the BIOS with the password to disable secure boot. The BIOS SATA mode must be AHCI and both the emmc chip and 1TB drive must be shown in the BIOS Information tab. The F12 boot option must also be turned on in the BIOS Main tab.

Then, with the installation USB plugged, restart the machine and immediately press the F12 key to a boot menu from which you boot the distro installation. The distro must recognize and install the grub bootloader and efi partition on the 1TB drive or the BIOS won't boot from it. The emmc chip simply does not have enough room for dual  boot by itself and even requires a 16GB NTFS format SD card to store temporary files needed to complete Windows updates.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    edited December 2021
    Hi Jack, thanks for getting back to me.

Ive followed your instructions and as far as I can tell the system is set to AHCI, both the emmc and ssd are shown when the installation process starts.

Ive selected installation on the ssd, installed the Linux distro (both Gub and efi instillation programmes have run) and on reboot win10 loads again.

When ive checked the bios (F12) only the windows boot loader is shown.

If I select the emmc on install rather than the ssd, will the Linux distro boot or would it make the laptop completely useless.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

• JackE
    Sorry to ask this again, but did you set and save a supervisor password??? Then reenter the BIOS with the password and disable secure boot??? Then install Linux. If you don't do this, the BIOS will continue to ignore the SSD Ubuntu EFI partition and use only the emmc EFI partition.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    Yes password is set.

Ive rebooted and logged into the bios (F2 on splash screen then password).

System bios version V1.08

Boot page information sata Mode set to AHCI.

Security page
    supervisor password is      set
    User password is               Clear
    HHD1 password is             Frozen
    (All the above in black)

Set supervisor password    Enter
    Set user password             Enter
    (above in blue)
    Set HHD1 Password           Enter
    (above in black)

Password on boot             Disabled
    (in blue)

secure boot mode           custom
    Erase all secure boot setting        enter
    Restore secure boot to                 enter
    Factory default:
    (Above in black)

Current TPM (TCM) state             installed
    Change TPM (TCM) state             enabled
    Clear TPM (TCM)                        clear

Boot screen

Secure boot:                       Disabled
    (above in blue)

then the boot priority
    usb
    HHD1
    Windows boot manager
    EMMC
    ATAPI CDROM
    usb fdd
    Network ipv4
    Usb HDD
    Network Boot ipv6

On reboot the acer splash screen shows, then the system instalation screen shows

On the linux Lite installation screen there are 4 options,
    1 boot 5.6 live system
    2 direct install
    3 compatibility mode
    4 oem Install(for manufacturers)

I'm using option 2 direct install. This option has worked on my other p.c.

It then shows the file check screen.

Linux lite installs with no problems.

on reboot F12 only shows windows boot manager.

It then boots into win10.

I know its probable something simple (is it plugged in, yes . Have you switched the socket on)
  • JackE
    >>>HHD1 password is Frozen>>>

This is an issue. Where did you get this SSD from?

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    Ive been in touch with the supplier of the ssd and hes walked me through the process of unfreezing the ssd. The directions he gave me didn't work as its already recognised by win10.

I tried a second hdd from a old working net book and this also shows as frozen.

I had to buy a sat cable to connect the ssd, could this be the problem.

The cable that my research said i needed was 50.gfzn7.004, is this the right cable.

Thanks

• JackE
    Yes. The ACER part no. is 50.GFZN7.004

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    I was hoping it was the sata cable. Something simple.

O.K. where does that leave us?

Does the emmc have to have an operating system on it?

If so does it have to be windows?

If I clone win10 on to the ssd and format the emmc and install linux lite on to the emmc. Would that work?

Thanks
  • JackE
    Hold on. Are you using a USB linux installation thumbdrive GPT partition scheme FAT32 format?

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    No I've gone old school, I'm using a USB DVD drive with a Linux instillation disk. Not sure what format the ssd is now.
  • JackE
    That may be your problem. A DVD drive just adds an extra layer of complexity. I suggest downloading the iso and using Rufus freeware to create a GPT FAT32 USB installation stick. The other issue may be the Lite distro installation iso itself. Not the most polished distro.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    No that's not worked either.

I don't suppose that there are any jumpers on the mother board that i need to adjust.

Thanks
  • JackE
    No jumpers. Do you know which drive's hidden EFI partition the Linux bootloader is actually being copied to?

Right now the BIOS is looking for a trusted boot manager file in the hidden EFI partition on the EMMC drive. If the Linux boot manager is copied to the hidden EFI partition on the 1TB drive, the BIOS will only boot Windows from the Windows boot manager

During the Linux installation, the BIOS trusted boot manager file option in the Main tab must be instructed where to look for the Linux boot manager. If during the installation process this instruction is not being done, then Linux will never be able to boot.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    OK I can see the reasoning for that.

How do I go about changing the location of the boot manager for the Linux install.

I've followed the instructions on this site.

I do have administrator status and access to BCDEdit.

Thanks
  • JackE
    >>>I have added a 1Tb ssd which is shown in the boot menu.>>>After some difficulty I managed to partition and install Linux lite 5.4.>>>

>>>How do I go about changing the location of the boot manager for the Linux install.>>>

I'm not sure what difficulty you had. And I'm also not sure about how good the LinuxLite installation is at being able to do this. In more polished installations like Mint, you're given the option to 'do something different' than the standard 'install alongside Windows'. And even then, the installation process often has problems with installing dual boot Linux on the second internal drive HDD1 or sdb when Windows is on the primary HDD0 or emmc.

Try this if you think that you installed Lite on HDD1 or sdb.
    (1) Shut the machine on
    (2) Turn back on and immediately tap F2 to enter the BIOS menu again
    (3) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Search HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0 or whatever other drives are shown for <EFI> directory, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file.
    (4) If you find grubx64.efi, enter it in the space provided. Save BIOS setting and exit.
    (5) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (6) Then turn it back on again to see what happens

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    Step 3 select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN) Isn't an option in my bios.
  • JackE
    What if you first set, save and exit  the BIOS to re-enable secure boot, then re-enter the BIOS with the password? 

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    That option was never available other wise this would have been so much simpler.

• JackE
    >>>That option was never available other wise this would have been so much simpler.>>>

Hmmm? If possible, please post a phone photo of BIOS Security tab. It's supposed to resemble this image.

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.